PDA

View Full Version : Mayan ecentric flints

AndyRichardson
03-15-2002, 02:09 AM
I'm trying to find a National Geographic article about Mayan artifacts. I think it was published around 15 yrs ago. I saw illustrated a real interesting eccentric flint "artifact" that was encrusted in copper minerals (blues and green, with metallic copper also, I think). What I am thinking is to duplicate such a look, ie., flint knapped rock with metallic oxidation and other stuff incorporated, for an interesting design.
But I would like to see the one that inspired that inspiration. Anyone got a clue about what issue I am referring to?

joemajury
03-16-2002, 03:44 PM
I hunted through NG online, but it only goes back for 7 years.
I did however enter Mayan Artifacts into Google search engine and it came up with over 905 sites.
So check this out, you MIGHT find some stuff to interest you
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&oe=ISO-8859-1&q=%22Mayan+artifacts%22&btnG=Google+Search

Joe
;) ;)

AndyRichardson
03-16-2002, 04:32 PM
All right, found it. I guess all I needed was a booster shot. Kept looking with Google and found under keywords "Mayan eccentrics geographic" an article with photo citations from the issue I was looking for (Sept 91). If I knew how to do it, I would put up a picture from the article, or cite the article for you all to see. They are awesome!

AndyRichardson
03-16-2002, 09:32 PM
Just to provide food for thought I have attached a close-up of a picture of an eccentric flint artefact (actually chert, not flint) from the 9/91 issue of National Geographic. Love the mineralizations..would like to try to duplicate the corrosion process to create a new 'arteffect'.

joemajury
03-17-2002, 11:08 AM
To provide a link is easy.
Just go to the page and right click on the address bar at the top,
then click copy.
Now when you are writing your post, just press Ctrl and V together, this pastes the link into your post, and there you have it.

Joe
;) ;)

sassybird
03-17-2002, 01:34 PM
Andy, I can see why you were so interested in finding this. I love artifacts, especially those that have been found in the ocean. The encrustation and the petina this piece has reminds me of lichen, another of my passions.

AndyRichardson
03-18-2002, 03:23 AM
Thanks for the help Joe.
As for you "sassybird", I think we are like minded. I too am fascinated by lichen growths, and also moss on bark, and tiny patches of plant life clinging to a microclimate in a crack in a patch of asphalt...I usually refer to that perspective as my "ground squirrel" self. Makes me wonder about how fundamental such appreciations are rooted in our embodied world.

sassybird
03-18-2002, 09:34 AM
Andy, I live in the Idaho desert about 40 miles south of Boise. I go tramping about the desert looking at lave that is alive with lichen. I've taken a lot of pictures. Here is one that I especially loved. I need to get a 'good' 35mm with a zoom to get some closeups.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2002/RapidlyGrowingLichen.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2002/Orange_Lichen.jpg

Leaflin
03-18-2002, 09:46 AM
Hi Andy :)
I can see why you were inspired.
What a wonderful piece.

Sass I love your photos :)

AndyRichardson
03-18-2002, 10:52 AM
Sassybird, looks great! The top photo looks like a moon scape.
As for a better camera and closeup optics, do you know that you can purchase a set of closeup lenses that attach to your regular lens? You can get an ant's eye view with those attachments, and they are very inexpensive..I don't recall the price, but I think it was in the neighborhood of $30 for a set of three. The lenses have different magnifications, and are sized for the size of your normal lens. In other words, if you use a 50mm lens you have to purchase a set of closeups for just the 50mm lens..any other size wouldn't be able to screw onto yur lens. Before I stumbled on to the existence of such lenses, I thought you had to buy a big expensive macro zoom!
Thanks leaflin. Know anyone who does flint knapping?