PDA

View Full Version : Week 30 Classical Art Journey

Nickel
07-22-2006, 02:13 PM
Hi and Welcome to Classical Art Journey Week 30!

We'd love to see your studies in a classical art way.
Any media or skill level is welcome to participate on our journey.

If you have any questions, please ask.

As much as I love looking back to learn from our old masters, we do live in the technological age of the Internet, so a little diversionary journey to an art site with demos and techniques you may enjoy.

http://www.sanford-artedventures.com/create/create.html

For all you lurkers who haven’t joined us, it really is ok to hop right in this week.

Our goal is to do 52 weeks of art. However, the purpose of these weekly threads is not to do 52 weeks, but to work each week. So far, Tyree, she is very faithful to her art and has worked each week. We are so proud of you Susan!

Since many of us at wetcanvas don’t do art for a living, it is easy to push our pursuit for learning to the side and do other things.

A quick sketch to learn form or a quick study of trees to learn values and the hunt for the perfect green is what these weekly activities will help in building your seeing skills. Here we have a relaxed atmosphere.

So won’t you join us?

If you are working on a composition and need more help to achieve your vision we now have

The Classical Critique Circle - A New Series!
Get all the help you need and offer your experience and wisdom to help others: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=359232

Now how about a pretty painting to start us out this week!!!
One of our classical member’s favorite vistas!
And another look at water.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2006/39040-church.jpg

Fredric Edwin CHURCH
Heart of the Andes

:heart: Nickel

tyree
07-22-2006, 08:11 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2006/65063-millais.jpg john everett millais...the bridesmaid...1851....english pre-raphaelite painter....pastel and charcoal on mi teintes....tyree

Nickel
07-23-2006, 08:47 PM
Hey Susan! Bravo, I think you got a really good likeness/rendition of this classic artist's work. Better yet, one of my favs by you so far this journey. I love the highlight to her forehead and chin. Her eye color matches perfect. Did you do the orange too? :) Nickel

PushingPixels
07-25-2006, 12:22 AM
Beautiful Tyre, the eyes are so expressive and that hair!! I always wanted red gold hair.... o well maybe from a bottle or another life.:thumbsup:

tyree
07-25-2006, 10:27 AM
hi everyone...thank you for the kind comments..i enjoyed doing this strange looking lady...bad week for me..trying to concentrate on some art work, but am really sad...my pup of 15 years is having some mini strokes, and im having to hand feed, carry outside, etc...doesnt look good, but she is so strong willed:crying: thanks for listening....tyree

Nickel
07-25-2006, 11:54 AM
Good luck to you both Susan! I know it is difficult at best. I'll be thinking of you both.

Hi Barb!

Nickel

Mony G
07-26-2006, 06:13 AM
Dear Tyree, I'm so sorry... and I keep thinking of both of you ... I keep thinking of Snooze, my dog... she passed away a few years ago at 15... no day passes without me still thinking of her!

You lady is really nice: she has soft, misty eyes...! I love her melancholic look!

All the best to you all.. I Kept you waiting for something new from me... but I am busy painting a landscape ... it isn't "classical" enough, I'm afraid !
(Well, it is realistic but .. who knows ?)... It isn't finished yet... either !... but I always arrive to a point in my painting when I miss my teacher's hints so much !
Who can help me with some suggestions ? Landscape in Tuscany http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jul-2006/77963-P2110009_zip.JPG

I'm sorry I had to download it so small, it actually is 30x60 cms.
Mony:wave:

Nickel
07-26-2006, 05:25 PM
Hi Mony, your painting really has a Tuscan feel! So right on with the atmosphere. So I'd say you have gotten your subject to feel right!
Anything in particular you are trying to work out? I think it looks great!
Looking forward to seeing the finish!

Hi Susan, hope things are a little better for you & Scooter, isn't that awful that I make up names for your pet. Is there meds they can give your doggie?
Mine has night terrors, wakes up screaming, no meds for him. I feed him a low salt diet and it helps.

Hi Barb, I see you are shortening your name. :wave:

It's been really hot here, and I've avoided working, drinking ice cold milk & eating cookies, good brain food :p

:wave: Nickel

rosebard
07-26-2006, 09:59 PM
Heart of Andes is gourgeous Nickel. Claps claps claps. :) Stay cool!!! Heard is pretty hot in some places in the U.S.A.

Geeh did you guys miss me??? :) Well, I have being having a pretty hard time trying to have fun and making a living out of my art. So, that is mainly why I have missed all the fun around the Journey. But thanks guys for keeping me inspiring and happy with the nice work you guys do here. :) I enjoy them very much.

Susan what beutifull bright colors you have used!!! This is gorgeous. She shines out of your painting!!! :)

Susan sorry to hear about your pet. Is she ok now? Hope so.

Talking about pets. Guess what?? Our dog dissapeared from our house couple of years ago. Another house actually, not the one I live now. It was just few houses from my mother in law house. Well, he is back with us!!! The poor baby appeared near our my mother in law house, was very ill and bad treated. She took good care of him and he is fine. She gave him back to us. He was crazy when he saw me. When I heard that our vet said was him. I said, cant be, too long. But when I saw him too. I knew it was him. It is like he never had dissapeared!!!! It is a poodle.

Hi Barbara!!!!

Mony I love the colors so much. I aint a landscape painter, but what I can say is I like it.

Being sick for most a week now, getting better slowly. Maybe tomorrow I will be able to go to the easel.

Take care guy, thanks for the trip. :)

tyree
07-26-2006, 10:49 PM
hi everyone!!! first let me say...i wish all of you lived next door to me:p you'd be so encouraging to have around!!!! My Lucky is not doing well...but she has had a great doggie life...and she knows i love her!!! mony...that is a truly wonderful painting...it does have a tuscany look to it....would like to be there....rose...cant believe your great luck in finding your pup again...lifes strange....hope you are feeling much better...drink lots of cranberry juice...add vodka if you need extra flavor:p nickel...scooter would have been a good name for my luckydog too!!!:heart: thank you too barb for your always encouraging words about my work!!! tyree

PushingPixels
07-27-2006, 12:36 AM
Hey girls... Tyree I'm so sorry about your sweet doggie. Hope you are soon feeling happier. Mony I love this the colors are so vivid and I like the way the sunflowers merge into the foreground color. Almost Sureal! Beautiful. Is this oil?

here is my atempt. mixed media and tweaked in photoshop. I'll post the untweaked as well.
untouched version is the one on the left.

Nickel
07-27-2006, 03:04 PM
Hey Barb! lovely painting, I can see myself out on those rocks fishing! :p
Please tell me about what you have mixed media style here! It is a lovely piece of art! Very COOL :thumbsup:

Hi ya Rose! miss you all the time you are gone of course!!!!!!:heart:

Nickel :wave:

Nickel
07-27-2006, 03:08 PM
Susan if I lived next door, you would move.......lol!
That women, she is always borrowing something to eat.....:0)
Plus she has parties all night, strange artists looking people
hanging around.......oh, you wouldn't notice that, you are an artist too. :)
One day, if we all get to one place, it will be fun.

Nickel
07-27-2006, 03:08 PM
Rose glad you got your puppy back! :)

tyree
07-27-2006, 10:41 PM
Susan if I lived next door, you would move.......lol!
That women, she is always borrowing something to eat.....:0)
Plus she has parties all night, strange artists looking people
hanging around.......oh, you wouldn't notice that, you are an artist too. :)
One day, if we all get to one place, it will be fun. hope you like peanut butter and mayo:lol: :lol: barb...is this one of your own paintings??? i love the bg to it...and its simplicity....just an update...my lucky passed on this morning in kens arms...im fine...doing some art work tonight...and thank you...thank you for all your kind words....tyree:angel:

PushingPixels
07-28-2006, 12:31 AM
Hey girls... Tyree I'm so sorry about your sweet doggie. Hope you are soon feeling happier. Mony I love this the colors are so vivid and I like the way the sunflowers merge into the foreground color. Almost Sureal! Beautiful. Is this oil?

here is my atempt. mixed media and tweaked in photoshop. I'll post the untweaked as well.

The art is from a photograph of Lake Alpine, CA early morning. The drawing was done in color pencil and then blended with turpintine. I went over it a little after that with white to tone it down some. But am thinking of doing it again in oil or acrylic.. the color is not quite where I want it.:cat:

PushingPixels
07-28-2006, 01:18 AM
for you Susan, hope you are soon feeling better.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2006/44004-symp.jpg

Mony G
07-28-2006, 06:04 AM

Yes, it is oil ! ... as I've been telling you, I've been going to oil painting classes... this is the first oil painting I did all alone at home !

I'd like to have you all as my neighbours too... it would be nice to have a chat all together "face to face" perhaps in front of a drink or something like that !
Barbara's painting is really nice... and... what an interesting tecnique, too!

Tyree:
I'm So sorry for your sweet dog... I understand how hard it feels for you now !

I really hope you will be feeling better soon ... but only time can tell!

goodbye for now from boiling Italy

Mony

Nickel
07-28-2006, 12:43 PM
Susan you know it is good you & Ken got to be with your puppy till the end.
It is really sad, and we know the hurt you feel.

((big hug)) from us.

It is good to have our memories to remember and cherish our loves.

I can still hear my little bird singing good morning to me each day.
She's been gone
almost 8 months.

Nickel

Nickel
07-28-2006, 12:46 PM
Hi Barb! It is good to know how you did this piece.
I've never heard of this technique of color pencil and turps, but
can't know everything right? :)

It will be interesting to see this in oils or paint.

You take the best photos!

Hi Mony! Very proud of you with your first oil painting at home!
You are doing a great job! :thumbsup:

Nickel

tyree
07-28-2006, 11:12 PM
thanks you all...and for the lovely card barb....i have sat. off from both jobs...going to clean house...and do some drawing....mony...its hot hot in Italy too???? mony.....did you see the photo i put in last time of me and the roman soldiers???? tyree:wave:

Mony G
07-29-2006, 08:19 AM
I hope you'll start feeling better soon , Susan...., yeah, I did see your photo with the Roman Soldiers at the Colosseum ... real fun !:thumbsup:
..and how sweet the little girlie on the pony was too!
I have a photo of myself riding a pony when I was a kid in Canada but I don't know where it is ! ... perhaps my mum has it or something like that... I wanted to post it in but I didn't find it. Too bad.

It Is hot in Italy too ...

Now I'm working on a second oil painting : two horses taken from a picture somebody made at the riding club my daughter goes to...
I have just made the drawing on the canvas up to now... it's bigger: 45x80 cms!

A big hug to you all and a very happy summer weekend !:heart:

Mony

Nickel
07-29-2006, 06:21 PM
Hey Mony, a painting with your daughter at the horse club that will be really nice. I hope you will post it so we can see!

We will take any kind of photo you want to post :)

The weather just seems like it is hot every place. Try to stay cool...
eat ice cream :) whenever possible!!!!! Nickel

Mony G
07-31-2006, 09:10 AM
Hey Mony, a painting with your daughter at the horse club that will be really nice. I hope you will post it so we can see!

We will take any kind of photo you want to post :)

The weather just seems like it is hot every place. Try to stay cool...
eat ice cream :) whenever possible!!!!! Nickel

You can be sure I will... I love ice-cream and they say the Italian one is the best in the world!

Mony

Nickel
07-31-2006, 09:41 PM
You can be sure I will... I love ice-cream and they say the Italian one is the best in the world!

Mony

:D I've heard that!!!!!!!!!!!!! One day soon! :wave: