PDA

View Full Version : Turpenoid or Gamsol

eab-designer
07-21-2006, 05:16 PM
For a newbie oil painter, which is better odorless turpenoid or odorless gamsol mineral spirits? What is the difference?

turlogh
07-21-2006, 05:31 PM
Personally, I wouldn't mix either of them with paint. If I couldn't stand to be around traditional solvents, I use egg yolk, walnut oil, and linseed oil to change the working properties of my paint (or I'd just use oil paint, which I do a lot anyhow). But then I'm a curmudgeon when it comes to art materials.

If someone held a gun to my head and made me pick an odorless thinner to put into oil paint, I'd go with mineral spirits.

Brian Firth
07-21-2006, 07:02 PM
They both work great. They are both highly refined mineral spirits. I use Turpenoid only because none of the stores in my area carry Gamblin products. There is no benefit in using real turpentine to thin oil paints. It's only superior use is to thin dammar resin because it is a more powerful solvent. With that in mind you probably want to use the weakest solvent that still works with oil paints, which happens to be Gamsol or Turpenoid.

gunzorro
07-21-2006, 08:10 PM
"There is no benefit in using real turpentine to thin oil paints."

Brian -- That is not strictly true. 1) Turpentine is a stronger, more effective solvent than OMS. 2) Turps dries faster with better evaporation. 3) Turps is considered "active" in assisting the drying and curing of oils such as linseed.

Generally, Turps is used during painting for thinning (with other oils), and OMS is used for brush and palette cleaning to reduce cost and limit odor. Of course, OMS is used during painting, but Turps is generally the preferred solvent.

dbclemons
07-21-2006, 09:27 PM
Gamblin has a chart on their site that compares Gamsol with Turpentine and other solvents:
http://www.gamblincolors.com/materials/solchart.html

My understanding of the benefits of using turpentine over OMS for painting is that the paint dries more completely and quickly, rather than from the outside in as it does with OMS. I think it has something to do with acid content, but I'll have to track down my notes on that.

Shane Keene
07-21-2006, 10:07 PM
I paint with knives so I only use thinners for cleaning up. This being the case, I use odorless white mineral spirits that can be purchased at any hardware store. I can buy two gallons of it for about the price of a pint of turpenoid. However, if you are going to use it for thinning paint and speeding up drying time, you're better off with a real turpentine or, even better, Garrett's Copal medium. The reason for this is that turpenoid and other OMS cause the paint to dry from the outside in which can cause you problems in the long-term (like cracking paint). Turpentine or real copal won't cause this problem.

lotusguy
07-21-2006, 11:20 PM
Since you asked:
Just my personal opinion, but I think Turpenoid sucks. Even the can says not to use it with paint. If you put some of it on a surface it leaves a residue, which OMS or turpentine do not. I use turpentine in the summer when I paint outdoors, and Gamsol in the winter when I paint inside. I don't like the smell of turpentine in the house, but I like the faster evaporation when I'm in the great outdoors.

Just the opinion of one old fool...

TTFN,
Dennis

It has been so long, maybe the can doesn't say that anymore.

Shane Keene
07-21-2006, 11:57 PM
Since you asked:
Just my personal opinion, but I think Turpenoid sucks. Even the can says not to use it with paint. If you put some of it on a surface it leaves a residue, which OMS or turpentine do not. I use turpentine in the summer when I paint outdoors, and Gamsol in the winter when I paint inside. I don't like the smell of turpentine in the house, but I like the faster evaporation when I'm in the great outdoors.

Just the opinion of one old fool...

It has been so long, maybe the can doesn't say that anymore.

Oregonians are so incredibly opinionated :lol:.

I agree that turpenoid sucks and it's way overpriced for what you get. They have changed the can now. They actually recommend it for use with oil paints!

gunzorro
07-22-2006, 12:14 AM
Wicked -- Now you're talking -- copal! The best resin for painting. I've not used Garrett's, but I have used Groves Copal Varnish and Medium, Taubes/Permanent Pigments Copal Medium, Studio Products Copal Medium and L&B Copal Varnish. All very good. :)

I don't personally use much turps as a dilutant, but would generally choose it over OMS. I am reading and watching lots of Schmid painting technique, and he often uses OMS as a preliminary wash for the canvas, and uses it liberally to wash brushes in his painting session. He rarely uses medium otherwise. So, I may try the OMS in a similar way. But I'm not getting rid of my good turps! :)