PDA

View Full Version : Pirates of the Carolinas II Finished

Merry Scribe
07-21-2006, 04:13 PM
The project is complete. I used Daler-Rowney Black India Ink with a Plume fine d'ecriture courante English Steel Nib.

The hand used was Copperplate, English Roundhand it was developed in the 17th century and in the 18th century this script had superseded the Sedretary hand as the buisness and vernacular writing hand. Its appeal lay in the speed and clarity in which it could be written. It spread across the world through British trading links and through the engraved Copperplate instruction manuals. Ref the Calligraphers Bible 100 Complete Alphabetd and how to draw them page 166-67 by David Harris

If anyone is serious about learn and doing calligraphy this a very good book to have and in my opion is a must to have. I found this book at Barns and Noble book store. I do not know if you can get it off the net.

Plume fine d'ecriture courante English Steel Nib
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2006/75646-Nib_1.jpg
Page #1
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2006/75646-Pirate_pg_1_finished.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2006/75646-Pirate_pg_11_finish.jpg
Page #2
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2006/75646-Pirate_pg_2_finish.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2006/75646-Pirate_pg_21_finish.jpg
Page #3
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2006/75646-Pirate_pg_3_finish.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2006/75646-Pirate_pg_31_finish.jpg
Page #4
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2006/75646-Pirate_pg_4_finish.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2006/75646-Pirate_pg_41_finish.jpg

The client will next video each page with the book laying in the sand in the Carolinas while a hand is seen turning the pages. He will then edit the video incerting a video in the top half of the page telling the story of the page. He will do this with each page. My part of the project is complete and for this I received $100.

When the client first talked to me about how much I charge for calligraphy work I told him $.35 per characture. There are 294 characture in the work and if i was paid per characture it would have been $102.90 so I agreed on the $100.00 commission.

Please make any comments about this work.

Merry Scribe
07-21-2006, 04:48 PM
Tess I now have time to finish the Traditional Celtic Cross WIP I am sorry for the interuption. I don't mind these interuption because that means that my name is getting around and that means money. And I like money. :lol: :thumbsup: Maybe someone will have me commissioned to some woodburning also.:rolleyes:

I am hoping that I will get the cross complete within a week or two.:rolleyes: I think that combining Celtic knot work and woodburning will make an interesting peace of work.:smug:

Brian :wave: :D

celticrichard
07-22-2006, 06:11 AM
I think woodburning illumination sound like a cool thing and if you join celtic knotwork it would be superb  

I love pyrography since i found a book in the library of my grandmothers village and it gave such a nice homely ,rustic feeling I fell in love with it,still i cant do it cos I cant find the wood burner in any shop.

I know im only 15 years old,but is there anywhere where i could get commisions of calligraphy or knotwork?
I see you commited a mistake or a bad rubbing because i see a little white mark in the first page,i hope that didnt ruin the quality.

Merry Scribe
07-22-2006, 09:29 AM
I think woodburning illumination sound like a cool thing and if you join celtic knotwork it would be superb  

I love pyrography since i found a book in the library of my grandmothers village and it gave such a nice homely ,rustic feeling I fell in love with it,still i cant do it cos I cant find the wood burner in any shop.

I know im only 15 years old,but is there anywhere where i could get commisions of calligraphy or knotwork?
I see you commited a mistake or a bad rubbing because i see a little white mark in the first page,i hope that didnt ruin the quality.

It was a bad rubbing and I don't think it will make a difference because this book will be in the sand when it is filmed and it shouldn't be that noticiable.

Richard you do not have to buy a tool that is made just for woodburning if you can find a tool that heats and use heave gaged wire to rape around it to make a burning nib then you have a burning iron. Or you can use soldering iron. The original electric woodburning tools were soldering irons. And woodburning irons still look like sodering irons the only difference is that there heat can be controled.

Now for commissions of calligraphy and knotwork the best way to get your name out there is to do thing for people as gifts and when other people see your work and ask who did it then your name will get around. So if these other people like your work then they may ask you to do something for them then you would have a commisssion.

celticrichard
07-22-2006, 12:33 PM
And How Do I Get My Name Out?

Merry Scribe
07-22-2006, 12:47 PM
And How Do I Get My Name Out?

Well Richard when you use you skill and art to make another person a gift and that person shows another person the gift most people will ask who made that. So the person who you made the gift for would say do you know Richard well he made it. And that is how your name gets out.

Richard I know that you are young but if you have talent it does not matter how old you are people will notice. One other thing Richard don't be so quick to grow up chearish you youth because once it is gone it is gone for ever. And you can never get it back.

I lost my youth at a young age and today I regret it. War has a way of stealling a young persons youth. So don't be in such a hurry to grow up. It is not all that great to grow up. Stay young as long as you can and enjoy it.

celticrichard
07-22-2006, 01:05 PM
Thanks,the only thing is a little prob i have that when im working a little fa<ilure can happen and i sometimes prefer to not finish a job than to see it probably ruined.i asked about how to get commisions to get a taste of what is it like and because,what the hell,i like money too and in spain art is expensive (as well as a sign of affemination)

Merry Scribe
07-22-2006, 01:31 PM
Richard if you really have your heart set on a commission take your calligraphy to Shops around where you live and ask them if they would like you to make ther posters, menus, Ads ect. If you do this to enough people someone is bound to commission you. But you have to get out there and peddle your wares.

celticrichard
07-22-2006, 01:40 PM
Im a bit shy about that

Merry Scribe
07-23-2006, 11:47 AM
Im a bit shy about that

The only way that you can get over your shyness is to confront it and get out there a show your stuff the more that you do it the less shy you will become. Your shyness comes from being young and not having confidence in yourself. Richard you are very talented so you have no need to be shy. Be proud of your talent and show it off.

Brian:wave: :D

celticrichard
07-23-2006, 02:04 PM
are you sure i have talent?,mostly my ideas are copies(i think )of other artists,and inspiration is so slow to come to me.I dont do art much because the material here is of bad quality.But thanks for your kind works,Now im in summer ill swear ill be painting and callygraphing(does that verb exist)and never stop.           thank you Wc for having such great people       (goes to you too,brian)

Merry Scribe
07-23-2006, 02:08 PM
Richard you are more than welcome and just hang in there and don't let thing get you down.

CPM
07-23-2006, 10:17 PM
Brian, This came out great. I can see in my head how this will look. Great work! - Chris

Merry Scribe
07-23-2006, 10:43 PM
Thanks Chris I had fun with this and I hope I can get some more commissions.

celticrichard
07-24-2006, 07:08 AM
Me too,so we can see more of your work.CONTINUE WITH YOUR CELTIC CROSS         

Merry Scribe
07-24-2006, 08:54 AM
Me too,so we can see more of your work.CONTINUE WITH YOUR CELTIC CROSS         

I am working on that Richard.

rebelnva
07-28-2006, 02:28 PM
Love your Work.
Could you tell me more about the book you using.
I have been trying to fine some paper with that look.
What type are you using and were to find it??
Many Thanks
Rebelnva

Merry Scribe
07-29-2006, 03:29 PM
Love your Work.
Could you tell me more about the book you using.
I have been trying to fine some paper with that look.
What type are you using and were to find it??
Many Thanks
Rebelnva

The client who commissioned me to do the work gave me the book. He told me that his son found it in a book store in Hattaras North Carolina. The client want me to write his little store in Copperplate, English Roundhand because he and his family were go back there for their vacation. And he was going to make a video using the book.

You might check with Barnes & Noble or Borders to see if they might be able to get it. I do know this the book cost $34.95 because that was what was on the lable on the inside of the last page.

Brian & Annie "The Merry Scribe":wave: :D