PDA

View Full Version : Scratchboard study of Great Horned Owl

Dave Slaughter
07-18-2006, 10:49 AM
This is a scratchboard study of a Great Horned Owl. I originally posted it in the "drawing" forum, and one of the moderators suggested I cross post it here. After the feather detail was scratched I tinted the colored areas with transparent ink and then added more detail with an ink pen. The base is Clayboard black. I have seen some disussion from some members that they have trouble finding this. It is impossible to find where I live in Montana, and I have to order it online (I use Dick Blick but other art supply firms carry it).
I'm still learning the ins and outs of this medium. Any suggestions are appreciated.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2006/83835-great_horned_owl.jpg

Mary Woodul
07-18-2006, 01:45 PM
Dave, welcome to the Mixed Media forum. I am so glad you decided to post this here. It is a stunning piece and your work is done with such expertise.

gingery
07-18-2006, 04:09 PM
This is really nice!:thumbsup: I like your use of ink.:cool:
ginger

Bertoni
07-18-2006, 04:46 PM
Dave:
Absolutely beautiful work here!!!:thumbsup:
I've been working in scratchboard lately and like Claybord best of all. Haven't done much with color as yet. You certainly have done well with it!!:clap:

Jakeally
07-19-2006, 07:48 AM
Wow ... well done:clap: :clap: You certainly captured the mystery of this beautiful bird.

tanianault
07-20-2006, 01:37 AM
Hi David! Always nice to meet another 'boarder :-)
I really like your owl: nicely detailed, I like the feather colouring and the intensity of the eyes, too.

Although my local art store carries Ampersand's Claybord Black, the pickings can be pretty slim at times. I have ordered directly from Ampersand and found them to be very helpful and prompt - they also did an amazing job of packing the boards - they arrived in pristine condition, which cannot always be said for my local supplier :-(

The WC! world is large, with many inhabitants, but there are a few of us who post regularly/have posted in scratchboard:

- Bertoni (who you've already met)
- brandynne
- brushandknife
- cassiepeia
- Diana Lee
- freefall
- lorna12
- myorca
- Obedec
- Rosie_Posie
- TrickyV
- and me, tanianault

I'm sure there are others (hey, if you're out there - add your name to the list!) We seem to hang out in Mixed, Pen & Ink, and Animals & Wildlife. If you haven't checked out some of these members' websites I suggest you do, a couple of us even have little tutorials :-)

See you around!

- Tania

Obedec
07-20-2006, 06:04 PM
Yeah! What everyone else said!
Karen

Obedec
07-20-2006, 06:04 PM
Yeah! What everyone else said!
Karen