PDA

View Full Version : Internet Promotion

chifancier
03-14-2002, 11:04 AM
For those of you who have had an internet presence for some time, would you mind sharing some tips with those of us (like myself) who have only just started to promote their work online? My website has not been around all that long, and honestly? I'm not really sure what the best way to generate "buzz" is. So far all of my hits have been from the webrings I've joined or from people just clicking the link in my signature file. But there have got to be better ways to promote both my site and my work. What things have you tried? What things would you never do again? What things do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

CarlyHardy
03-14-2002, 10:46 PM
Cross linking with other sites will get you more exposure with search engines...but it won't bring viewers!

My best exposure to my website has come from my ebay buyers. Folks who see my art at ebay find my website on my About Me Page and visit. I've had a lot of nice emails with complements on my art from this.

I've also had a sale of a painting from my site because a viewer found a painting while browsing. Also a couple of commissions, but I don't take them often...only when something sounds appealing.

#1 Keep your site simple...folks want to view your art, not read ad banners, or click on a dozen links to find things.
#2 Use the best images that you possibly can. 72ppi is enough resolution for web-viewing! This makes it unattractive for downloading if someone wants to use your images.
#3 Be consistent! both with your art and your business. Artist have to prove themselves online (even at ebay) and build the trust of their clients.

carly

chifancier
03-16-2002, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by CHClements
#1 Keep your site simple...folks want to view your art, not read ad banners, or click on a dozen links to find things.

Do you think I have too many sections to my website? I don't have any ad banners... I own my domain, and don't host at one any place like geocities or angelfire. No pop ups either -- those things are damn awful. My biggest concern with my site is that you can tell what you are going to see at each link just by reading the link. I want to keep each link to one word, but am not sure that people are always finding what they are wanting to see...