PDA

View Full Version : no bids...

chifancier
03-14-2002, 11:00 AM
I really can't figure it. I'd had so many requests to do breed portraits, besides Chihuahuas, so I complied. I'm quite happy creating pieces based around dogs of any type. But now that these portraits are up for sale, the only one with even one bid is the Chihuahua. Could some of you have a look at my auctions... is there something I'm doing wrong, or some things I should be doing differently? Did I list in the best category? Should I change my text? What about the titles, are they okay? This is only my second time listing my work at eBay, but the first time each piece sold, and all had multiple bids. :(

You can check my auctions by heading to my website artbytd.com (http://www.artbytd.com/) and then clicking on the "auctions" link.

I hope someone here is able to shed some light on this for me.

arteitaliana
03-14-2002, 08:23 PM
hmmmm....I never sold drawings on ebay, but I have the feeling that buyers prefer paintings to drawings. For specific items, including art, related to dogs, I would try to list in this ebay category: "Home - All Categories - Collectibles - Animals - Dog" This category has many "breed" sub categories and you my want to list your drawings under the specific breed.

The painting of the Chihaua on your website is quite good.Why not do more like that?

Hope this helps,

Rita

CarlyHardy
03-14-2002, 10:37 PM
I picked one of the auctions to take a look...the Ridgeback.
There are two pics of your drawing...one looks very light and the other is very dark. You should post the best images possible! and if would look great framed with a black mat, then put one around it and say "for example only".

Rita's suggestion about the categories is a good one...you should be listing in the Dogs/Individual breeds category. Your conte work is nice but it has an unfinished look to me...like a sketch, instead of a finished portrait.

I get a lot of suggestions about what to paint for ebay...but I usually do what I'm most interested in. If you like painting portraits, stick with those. They may take longer, but the sales will be worth it.

Also, here's info about your really big logo that is linked to your website. Under ebay rules, its illegal! Even if it wasn't clickable, I'd reduce its size some....and post it at the top of your description. As long as you don't have your website url, you could use it for a logo.
carly

chifancier
03-16-2002, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Rita Monaco
hmmmm....I never sold drawings on ebay, but I have the feeling that buyers prefer paintings to drawings. For specific items, including art, related to dogs, I would try to list in this ebay category: "Home - All Categories - Collectibles - Animals - Dog" This category has many "breed" sub categories and you my want to list your drawings under the specific breed.

The painting of the Chihaua on your website is quite good.Why not do more like that?

Generally I agree with you. I think buyers prefer paintings... but it was the drawings I'd had requests for. I received a ton of email after posting the first three drawings in my "Chihuahuas on Manilla" series requesting I do other breeds in the same medium. I figured what the heck, and did several... I received email from people saying how much they liked the pieces, but when it came right down to it (sales) no one is buying.

When I relist I will put them in the collectibles category. And maybe list something else at the same time in the self-represented category. It's just frustrating knowing how many requests I had to do this, and now no one wants them.

Thanks for the compliment. I really enjoyed doing the painting on the photograph. It was a really interesting project, and something I do intend to do more of. It's just a matter of finding the right subject before doing another.

chifancier
03-16-2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by CHClements
I picked one of the auctions to take a look...the Ridgeback.
There are two pics of your drawing...one looks very light and the other is very dark. You should post the best images possible! and if would look great framed with a black mat, then put one around it and say "for example only".

I've been having trouble photographing my conte on manilla pieces. They either turn out too light (with the flash) and wash out completely, or they turn out too dark (w/o the flash). I'm not really sure what else to try... I haven't had this kind of problem photographing any of my other works.

Rita's suggestion about the categories is a good one...you should be listing in the Dogs/Individual breeds category. Your conte work is nice but it has an unfinished look to me...like a sketch, instead of a finished portrait.

They generally are sketches, but that's what they are intended as. I will occationally do a conte piece and completely finish them -- negative space and all... but I just don't always feel like doing so. *lol* It really depends on the subject matter, where I'm working, if I'm working from a photo or a live subject, etc... I wouldn't sell a piece that took twice the work for the same as one of my simple sketches. In keeping my series of dog sketches so simple I'm helping to keep them affordable. I do more elaborate pieces, but these ones were designed to be simple.

Also, here's info about your really big logo that is linked to your website. Under ebay rules, its illegal! Even if it wasn't clickable, I'd reduce its size some....and post it at the top of your description. As long as you don't have your website url, you could use it for a logo.

Oh... Okay. I didn't even realize it was against the rules. It's been so long since i read the eBay terms.

CarlyHardy
03-17-2002, 12:57 AM
If photographing is a problem with your work, you might try outdoors in the early morning before the sun is too bright....or later in the afternoon when its clear and bright...but not sunny. I've heard that some photograph their work in full sun...but when I've tried this, it washed out the colors, much like a flash would do.

I understand what you're saying about your sketches compared to your more professional portraits. I do think they would look good with a black mat around them to show off the contrast more. You could take a large mat (black) and cut it so that the two sides could be placed around any size sketch and photograph it with the black surrounding the image. This would give you a nice border in the uploaded image as well.
carly

arteitaliana
03-17-2002, 04:27 AM
I wouldn't sell a piece that took twice the work for the same as one of my simple sketches. In keeping my series of dog sketches so simple I'm helping to keep them affordable.

I would not worry about keeping them affordable. Ebayers can afford hundreds of dollars, and sometimes thousands, for art they like. Better work inevitably results in higher prices. Doing less that you are able to in order to make the piece affordable, is the strangest ebay selling strategy I have ever heard.

CathyD
03-17-2002, 02:46 PM
I would not worry about keeping them affordable. Ebayers can afford hundreds of dollars, and sometimes thousands, for art they like. Better work inevitably results in higher prices.

I agree with Rita, there are people out there with big bucks!!! The more you do ebay the more you will be known for the quality of your work. I think everyone agrees (here at wetcanvas) and recommends that you start out with low prices, but give them high quality and you will soon have people competing for your pieces.
I am moving to a new level of ebay selling, I am starting to get some higher prices through competative bids, but I am finding that as you build your confidence in selling, you still want to offer things at a lower price to lur early and multiple bids.

Now there's a difference between lower prices and underpricing yourself. I usually do my minimum bid at the lowest price I would be willing to sell it for. I have to say that I am not one that forms sentimental attachments to my paintings, but I do recognize when I have done a better job on one than another. Then I am more likely to start what I feel is the better painting at a higher bid.
Sometimes I've done paintings that the composition is not as strong as I would like, of for some reason I just don't like the way the painting turned out. Then I am willing to just give the $1 minimum bid a whirl. The funny thing is I usually end up selling it for a pretty decent price. Like this last week ~ I had one I didn't particulary care for, and it ended up selling for $21! In the past when I have started one of my less than favorites paintings at $21, I don't even get a bid. There's something about enticing people to start bidding.

Well theres my 2 cents worth.
Good luck!
Catherine

chifancier
03-18-2002, 10:05 PM
I am just a little bit thrilled... *lol* Yes, most of my pieces didn't sell... but two did. And one of those two? Well... it ended with a bidding war. *lol* I was happy thinking it was going to sell for $15.50, and it went for just about $53!!!! Can you believe it??? I'm just bouncing off the walls. *bg*

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

CathyD
03-18-2002, 10:58 PM
Hooray for you!!! Isn't it fun? Congratulations, Chifancier!
Cathy:clap:

chifancier
03-19-2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by CathyD
Hooray for you!!! Isn't it fun? Congratulations, Chifancier!

Thanks. *s* I'm quite thrilled with what that one piece went for.

As for earlier comments about eBayers being able to afford art. I know there are many eBay bidders who can... but I don't think art should be elitist. I do create more advanced pieces, ones that take weeks to complete... but I like to offer simpler pieces at lower prices so that anyone who would like I piece of my work can have one. I really don't subscribe to the attitude that only the rich should be able to enjoy art.

CathyD
03-20-2002, 12:23 AM
You are right, art is for everyone!