PDA

View Full Version : Shelf life of canes...

Meisie
07-14-2006, 01:48 PM
I've been wondering....seeing as one has to condition pc clay everytime you use it...what is the shelf life of a finished cane?
Or will it be ok still to bake after 2 years? I realize it won't dry etc etc, and since you would be reducing it, at most, it seems like it might keep 'forever', but how will it be affected?

What do you think?

Meisie

Penguintrax
07-14-2006, 02:12 PM
You can have canes around for years. However you need to treat them with care when you decide to work with them. You almost have to recondition them before you slice them, or they end up crumbling. There are various methods to accomplish this, from slamming the canes against a table several times to "wake up" the clay then enlarge and reduce the cane again, to keeping the cane in a tepid water bath until it's warmed through. I think Sarajane Helm has canes over 20 years old that she still uses:

http://www.polyclay.com/canes.htm

http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/canes--old.htm

Meisie
07-14-2006, 02:54 PM
This is good news! Thank you! I'm off to make lunch...then I'll check out those sites! :)

Meisie

valeriebeads
07-17-2006, 09:24 PM
I have canes several years old. I have problems reworking them sometimes depending on what brand clay I used. I have some that are days old that I need to warm up, roll, pinch and maipulate to get them into workable condition again. I must say, I really, really don't like using canes that turn crumbly but I could just be lazy that way. lol!

RachelK
07-18-2006, 11:00 PM
I just found some in my fridge that must be 7 or 8 years old, maybe 10! I've been wondering if I could still use them. By the way, were can I find the instructions on how to bake them?

thanks,
Rachel

Meisie
07-18-2006, 11:22 PM
Rachel do you remember what clay it was/ could have been? It sure sounds like it'll be ok! ;)

Meisie

Penguintrax
07-19-2006, 11:09 AM
Rachel,

If you don't remember the brand of clay, the best thing to do would be to take the average temperature for the popular brands, and average it. I'd say 270 F for 20 min per 1/4" of thickness.

Barb

RachelK
07-19-2006, 01:06 PM
It's sculpey.

Rachel

Meisie
07-19-2006, 01:39 PM
Sculpey bakes at 15min @ 275 per 1/4" thickness...let us know how it turns out ok :) Seeing as you know what it is, maybe a lower temp and a lightly longer time would be good after the rest? let's see what the folks say who know...

Meisie