PDA

View Full Version : approached for a showing

crazymommy4
07-13-2006, 04:55 PM
Hi, i was approached to do a showing. I have never done this before. I'm wondering if anyone has some advice to protect myself and the photo's. I have read some things about presenting them. Do photo's always have to be matted and framed is there another way? How much commission is too much? Any advice would be helpful. Thank you

Paula:wave:

Windy
07-13-2006, 05:57 PM
I cant help you but there are quite a few people who have had showings so I hope you get some good tips :D Congrats btw!

crazymommy4
07-13-2006, 10:38 PM
Thank you Wendy:wave:
Paula

Rich
07-13-2006, 10:57 PM
Paula, check into shrink wrapping and then put a stick on hanger on the back.

Good luck!

xtx
07-14-2006, 08:37 AM
I have had a number of these and the starting point is discussing with the gallery etc what they require and what charges they will make. I have had some that require framing and others that the display is done anyway I wish. There are no hard and fast rules other than the person with the space has the final say, if u dont like it then they may find someone else. The are very few artist of any media that can demand that it is done "their way" of course the artist can always say NO. As for the commission unfortunatly some have set percentages and the artist needs to think how well attended the showing will be and if the people attending will be the right sort! ie those that will buy or even those that will offer commisions . To have the right contacts and guest list is essential for it to be finacially rewarding and if the person has these it may be worth paying the extra commission. Or of course you can do it for the pleasure and kudos of having had a showing. Not too helpful I know but I tend to go with gut feeling lol

Rob

Rich
07-14-2006, 11:38 AM
Good advice from Rob...always check with the gallery to see what they require.

DesertDarlene
07-14-2006, 12:46 PM
I was going to give some advice, but Rob pretty much summed it up.

crazymommy4
07-16-2006, 08:36 AM
Thank you xtx for your advice, i will go in this week and get more details.

thank you rich and desert

Paula

kaleidoscope eyes
07-16-2006, 05:19 PM
Good advice from Rob Paula.
A show is always a good thing for getting your name out there and well worth doing, especially if its local and you get a few words in your local rag. I've found that this often leads to sales after the event.
The standard commission around here is 40%
Keep us posted :)

xtx
07-17-2006, 05:20 PM
Another idea if you want to start smaller is to look at places that might not normally have exhibitions. The novelty value and newsworthiness of them can get good media coverage. Some examples are : If you shoot dogs or other pets go to a big pet store and ask them to allow you to exhibit. Flowers again go to a big florist or flower distributer, other places can be libraries government offices horse riding establishments or anywhere that there is a link to what you normally photograph. Even fast food resturants etc may let you exhibit. In some ways the stranger the place the better as it will be newsworthy.

Rob

crazymommy4
07-18-2006, 01:12 PM
I went in yesterday morning to speak to the owner and he told me that their is a 25% commission. He also said that we should run an ad in the paper. i will look into this and see how it is done. I have about 6 photos that i have worked on i am still working on 4 more. He would like to do 10.

Thank you Carol and Rob, you all have been very helpful.

Paula