PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble July 10 Thru 16

K Taylor-Green
07-10-2006, 09:12 AM
Good morning and welcome!! Here we are for another edition of the Scumble, our weekly chat thread.

I am slowly recovering from my 4th of July's impromptu "rodeo" accident. Jess says I got out of the gate, but was way short of the 8 second buzzar!
I'm trying to take less percosett for the pain. I'm replacing it in the daytime with Aleve or Advil. I need to be able to function instead of SLEEP all the time!
I picked up a new training crop for Smoke. It's back to the round pen for that ole boy........well, after I'm healed up, of course.:D

Khadres
07-10-2006, 03:36 PM
Yes, stay AWAY from those big brutes for awhile, Kate! You make me hurt just imagining your situation! I hate having to take something like percoset too...you always wind up feeling like a zombie and it never really gets rid of all the pain anyway...at least not in my experience.

More rain here...we're finally making up for lost time, I guess. We even have toadstools under the old cottonwood tree out back!

We WC ppl are having a blast over at the Virtual Paint-Out Network lately. Donna hosted a marathoner yesterday...started mid afternoon and was still going strong at midnite! Lots of good artwork done and good discussions too. It's fun to see the variety of media there...everything from digital art to oils to pastels and colored pencils.

Am hoping to actually go down to the studio a bit more this week! Wish me luck!

meowmeow
07-10-2006, 05:27 PM
I bet you got sorer for a while, Kate....now hopefully you are starting to heal! I know you are lucky to have not been hurt more seriously, but it still sounds like no fun.
YOu should stick to "Paint 'em, Cowgirl" rather than "Ride' em!" Well...it's okay to ride I think but the bucking bronco routine has got to go. Take care!

Not much going on around here. The weather is better at least. IN fact, it is getting pretty hot during the day. I like the have the sun out when I paint but frankly, I get too hot sitting out there then. Oh well. The trials and tribulations! I have done some simple flower paintings in my garden.
Otherwise trying to relax and enjoy the summer. Just took one book back to the library and came home with another. Ah...the lazy days of summer...

I hope everyone else is enjoying themselves one way or another!

Sandy

Tressa
07-10-2006, 09:22 PM
Get better soon Kate!!

We are just getting back into routine after the fourth, and houseguests!! My schnauzer has been traumatized by the fireworks, and is finally getting her bravery back a bit..My neice, her son, and his friend were here for a few days, and we had a lot of fun..Here are the two of us on our way to dinner Monday evening.(April on the left, and me on the right with longer hair)...We are more like sisters, as we are so close in age, we grew up together:)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jul-2006/76189-Hanging_out.jpg

KA Obee
07-10-2006, 10:18 PM
Oh Kate, I'm so sorry that happened to you! I know you love your horses, but maybe at least for a little while you can paint them, rather than ride them. Don't you have some nice gentle ones you can ride, just for a little while anyway?
Tress - great photo! It looks like you were having a wonderful time!

We went to a 'family and friends' pool party at my friends parents house. These people raised 5 daughters and put them all through college. They have this beautiful pool in the back yard, but the house is very simple. As a matter of fact, when the girls were little it was a two family house! (remember; FIVE girls!) They converted it only when the girls were in middle school and high school. The only thing at all 'extravagant' about this place was the beautiful pool. My friends dad proudly told me that the pool kept his girls home when they were younger and dating (keeping the boy friends under their watchful eyes) and now it keeps the girls, their husbands and children close because they still come home all the time to use the pool.

I'm sure these people have never been on any kind of glamourous vacation or have ever even owned a brand new car - but their five girls are all college educated, have wonderful families, and have stayed close to their parents.
What more could anyone want?

On Sunday We took 10 eleven-year-old boys to see Pirates of the Caribbean" :eek:
I'll tell you - They all went in there thinking they were so brave and grown up - but every one of them was scared out of their wits about 2 minutes into it! Remember being 11 and loving being scared in a safe way? Think Indiana Jones movies, that sort of thing. This movie was just amazing! My 9 year old said it was scary, but it was so funny at the same time, and that's why he loved it. Johnny Depp is an absolute riot in this film. It's long - but really, it's just such great fun - see it on the big screen if you get a chance.

Here's a photo of the 10 boys at the theater.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jul-2006/65077-P1010015.JPG
Liam and Rory are the two in the blue shirts on the far left (top and bottom). And no, Liam has never seen a "Charlie's Angels" episode, we're really not sure where that pose came from.
:lol:
KA

K Taylor-Green
07-10-2006, 10:30 PM
Everyone looks summer fun happy!
Thanks for the well wishes, everyone! Believe me, I'm not up to riding just yet!

Sandy, it is pretty hot here, but breezy. We are supposed to get some nasty storms tomorrow. We could use the rain. I love setting up on my picnic table, under the umbrella to paint. But if the humidity is bad, I stick to my air conditioned studio!

Tressa, great photo! I like your hair long.

KA, I think you are braver for taking 11 boys to the movies than seeing a scary one! I saw the first Pirates and just howeled over Johnny Depp's character! Hilarious!

Deborah Secor
07-10-2006, 10:50 PM
I had to laugh at this photo of the kids, KA! Brought back a lot of memories for me. My almost 20 year old (this Thursday) son had to go to the first showing of Pirates at 12:20 AM all the way on the other side of town last week. He planned to go on his birthday but the whole crowd from church went that night, so I suspect there were as many of them as you took--maybe more. The dumb kiddo didn't get home until almost 4 AM, and that was after an 8-hour shift at work (he's a cook), so he was totally wiped out the next day! I just kept mentioning that if you're gonna dance ya gotta pay the piper! LOL

Tressa, you look pretty relaxed and happy in that photo!

Kate, take care of the bruises that are no doubt still showing. Girl, work that horse to a lather before riding him the next time. I know you still love him! :D

We had a big arts and crafts sale at our house on Saturday. We're moving into Albuquerque from our mountain home as soon as we can list and sell the house, but we suddenly discovered how much stuff we have. So we put a lot of our art collection up for sale, plus offering our usual things (my pastels and his woodworking) at good prices. It was rainy so most people stayed away--only in NM do people fear driving in the rain! So we're still selling things. (If anyone wants to see what you can link there from my web page.) We're starting a ministry to the homeless and working poor in a section of the city referred to as the war zone. We're praying right now about renting a storefront and jumping in...

Okay, back to the old grind. I'm happy to be doing interviews with the winners of one category in The Artist's Magazine competition--but it's a busy time and I still need to do one more interview! I have the month of July "off", meaning that I'm not teaching right now. I had to turn down a couple of folks who wanted to do private workshops, which I hated having to do, but I simply have to figure out how to shoehorn my 2100 square feet of stuff into a 950 square foot apartment--just in case! Oh, and on top of that we have another boy my son's age coming to live with us. Squeeze in here and join us, I said! He's a great kid. Good thing...

:wave: see ya

Deborah

watergirl
07-11-2006, 12:23 AM
Well, Saturday night started out great as I tripped on a rug at my house, banged up my knee pretty good and spent a few hours at the ER. Luckily, no broken bones but will need to reassess after the swelling goes down. My poor dog Kado is limping around adter haveing torn his cruciate ligament. He goes in next Monday for surgery. Today was my 18 year wedding anniversary-husband is out of town. Kept waiting for the doorbell and the flowers to arrive LOL! We have had nice sunny weather and I was just about caught up on yardwork and house trim painting-now I am forced to sit still and read and paint and try to stay awake! Painkillers are great but such a waste of time. Everyone stay healthy!

K Taylor-Green
07-12-2006, 10:09 AM
Molly, Don't you just HATE that??!! You can't get around much, restricted to sit down activities, and have to fight sleep every moment!! I'm only taking mine at night, now. I got tired of trying to figure out what day of the week it was!
Happy Anniversary!

We are haveing some really bad weather here. Tornadoes touched down not 20 miles from us, last night. The rain is welcome, but the rest of this mess can go elsewhere!

LOL, Deborah. Lathering is definitly called for in the future.

watergirl
07-12-2006, 03:40 PM
Kate, yes, I do hate that woozy feeling and I can't seem to focus on anything but looking out the window. I tried not taking any last night but woke up very sore and ended up taking a dose and then sleeping in until 11. My dogs think I am nuts! And my 3 year old dog is running circles in the house with no one to play with-wish I could give her a coloring book or video game to keep her busy! LOL!

Tornadoes terrify me-how do you know if it comes at night? Do you have shelter that you can sleep in? When we were driving cross country we passed a few nasty looking cells but luckily did not run into them.

Dee, Congrats on your big change-sounds exciting and fulfilling!

Raining today and a little cooler, we were up in the 80's last week! Whew!

meowmeow
07-12-2006, 06:22 PM
Ouch Molly! That sounds painful...sounds like you and your poor dog are limping around together. I hope you are both feeling better soon.

Sandy

scall0way
07-13-2006, 06:37 PM
Gee, sorry for the injuries! I've felt out of touch with my own PC on the blink and too hot to try to fix it, and being in NC last week at my dad's with no PC. But now I'm back, and back in summer art classes! Fun.

Biggest news is that my son and DiL are moving out of NYC because of his new job here in NJ, and taking an apartment only about 10 minutes away. It will be so nice to have them nearby now instead of a long and traffic-fraught drive to the upper east side of Manhattan (actually the beginnings of East Harlem).

My grandpuppy is spending the week since my son and his wife felt their apartment was, and all the boxes, was too crazy for her right now. My own dogs are 10 1/2 and 14 1/2, so have an 18-month-old puppy bursting with energy is quite an experience. The cats are not happy either. :)

CM Neidhofer
07-14-2006, 11:36 AM
Hi all. I haven't posted much in a while now. Bruce and I are going on vacation next week. We're going to Oklahoma on some family business, then coming back through Texas and New Mexico and a little of southern Colorado before coming home. We'll be gone for nine days. I hope to have LOTS of new pics!!! See you all again soon. :wave:

Christine

Khadres
07-15-2006, 10:55 AM
Molly, I hope you're feeling lots better now....I've had several monster falls on my right knee and it's amazing how hurt it can be and still not broken! So take it easy....and no more trips on the rug! (Didn't anyone ever break the news to you that magic carpets are just make-believe? :D)

Christy, where are you going in Texas? That is one HOT trip this time of year!

We are back to heat here...that nice, cool, moist weather is now just a fond memory, sad to say! We're actually going to be HOTTER today than TEXAS!

CJMonty
07-15-2006, 11:50 AM
Hi Everyone,

Kate and Molly have certainly been in the wars.
I live in Western Australia in the Northern Suberbs of Perth, it is currently suposed to be Winter and certainly the nightime temps are quite low but the daytime temps are still up in the High Teens early twenties degrees Centigrade that is. Unfortunately we have been in drought now for over 7 years and so far this Winter is the worst we have had for a no show when it comes to rain. I have some years ago lived in the North West of Australia called the Pilbara and we used to experience Cyclones there during the Wet Season which is our Summer months, I remember one year getting a direct hit from the cyclone and the most frightening part of it was the quiet of the Eye (the centre of it), we used to get torrential rains from those.
You could always send us over some of your excess rains we would love them, our dams at the moment are around 27% capacity.

I hope Kate and Molly soon recover from their tummbles

CM Neidhofer
07-15-2006, 12:40 PM
Christy, where are you going in Texas? That is one HOT trip this time of year!

Hi Sooz. We're not really going anywhere in Texas, just kinda passing through on our way back to NM. Although everyone's telling us we have to stop and get some Blue Bell ice cream! We have nine days available to wander around on vacation, so other than maybe something we come across by chance, we don't have any particular plans after Oklahoma.

Chris

Tressa
07-15-2006, 07:43 PM
I guess July is the month for injuries!! I took my rug out onto the driveway to scrub it, and as I was bent over rubbing away, my back went out:eek: !! I could not stand up, and had to go to the ER..After 4 hours of waiting, MAJOR muscle spasms!! Percocet, muscle relaxers, and cold compresses..YUCK!!! I do hate taking this stuff, it makes me sick to my stomach:crying: So, my Saturday was completely ruined, and all my plans to get so much acomplished went down the tubes!!
Tres

KA Obee
07-15-2006, 10:43 PM
Oh no Tress! That's terrible!
My husband's back goes out on him like that every now and then. I hate seeing him in that kind of pain - and he hates being struck down so unexpectedly.
Do you have an old injury that just kicked in or something? Physical therapy has helped Steve a lot, although he hates when he has to go.
I'm thinking of you and hope you are back on your feet soon. In the mean while, take it easy! This is your body's way of saying "STOP!".
KA

K Taylor-Green
07-16-2006, 12:41 AM
Ooooo, wierd, that so many of us were injured this month.
Tres, You should mention that percocet makes you feel ill, maybe they could prescribe another pain killer. Hang in there, girl. August has got to be better!