PDA

View Full Version : Ink and Pastel

seejay
03-13-2002, 07:48 AM
Hi everyone,

Things are pretty quiet, so I'll post a picture that may not totally belong here.

This is an ink sketch with pen and brush, coloured up with pastels. I think the original looks a bit better, but I wasn't going for a finished look. It's A4 size.

I thought I was on to something quite new when I did a few of these, but since then I've seen it mentioned in a couple of older pastel books. Newer books/magazines seem to go for watercolours, acrylics, or coloured inks to colour up ink drawings.

What do you think? Anyone else into this combination? Got any pictures to show?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Mar-2002/rocktogo.JPG

Cheers, Chris

artdude
03-13-2002, 02:01 PM
Hi Chris: If it has ink in it....it belongs here :D Don't you just hate when your so-called original idea has been done before?? :) I like what you have done here. Maybe you could add a seagull or other bird(s) to the pick?? One sitting on the top of the rock and maybe some flying around in the distance?? It's just a sugestion :) It also looks great on it's own :D Thanks for posting!!

seejay
03-13-2002, 09:08 PM
artdude,

Thanks for your comments - I really like your suggestion.

I suppose it's little things like that which can really set a picture off. One day I might even know when to add such things!

Cheers, Chris

dolors
03-14-2002, 01:19 AM
Chris, your drawing is lovely. IŽve never tried this combination. I use normal paper for drawing with ink and it should not be appropiate for pastels, but it is a good suggestion. IŽll try with another paper.

seejay
03-14-2002, 06:48 AM
Thank you, dolors!

Glad you like it. These seem to be loads of fun, you just have to be careful not to add too much pastel, or you lose the ink! Maybe your drawing paper could handle a little bit of pastel....please post if you try it.

Chris

dnip24
03-14-2002, 11:07 AM
Wow! Looks alike an ancient egipcian stone! That's amazing!
Thanks to share it!

sassybird
03-14-2002, 02:17 PM
This is a successful blend of two mediums, and mediums that I have never considered using together. I'm going to have to try this one out:)

I like the mossy color on top of the rock. It is something I would expect to see in a moist atmosphere. This also looks like a good climbing rock...lol You did a good job in showing the nooks and crannies that toes and fingers would readily seek when climbing.

The piece looks finished to me. I like the water. It appears fairly calm with just small white caps showing here and there. Not enough to warrant spray on the rock.

Good job:clap:

seejay
03-15-2002, 10:52 PM
dnip 24 and sassybird,

Thanks for looking and commenting!

Cheers