PDA

View Full Version : Not So Camouflaged Watch Cat

PeggyB
07-09-2006, 06:55 PM
Thought I'd share my lastest adventure. My "model" was my ragdoll cat, Murphy. Yes, he looks like a very large cat when his coat is full as it was in the photo I used as a reference because he was much too busy "watching" things in the yard to hold still for long. He even caught a bird, I heard it squacking and so did the dog, Sonny. I looked up to see Sonny going over to assist, and I yelled "no!", Murphy dropped the bird for Sonny, Sonny the golden retriever was more than willing to pick it up, but fortunately for that bird he's also becoming quite will trained and let it go when I said, "leave it!" The bird was able to fly off into the trees minus quite a few feathers.

Black Art Spectrum paper, NuPastels, Girault, Mt Vision, Ludwig, and Unison,pastels. about 18 X 24 inches. This appears a bit dark on my monitor in the tree trunks and burgandy leaves. The whole thing is a bit brighter RL.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jul-2006/68149-Murphy_2_email.jpg

Here's a closer view of his face.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jul-2006/68149-Close_up.jpg

Peggy

fio44
07-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Nice piece Peggy! I am especially fond of the motion surrounding the cat, and the very indifferent look on the cats face despite that motion. Having a number of cats during my younger years, this piece brings back many memories, I can certainly feel the presence of royalty in the cat, if only it's mind. :-) Nicely done.

Tressa
07-09-2006, 08:54 PM
Great look Peggy!! LOL, he does not look too very pleased to have given away his bird!!:lol: Seems to be checking everything out with great concentration... beautiful eyes...
Tres

Paula Ford
07-09-2006, 09:08 PM
Wonderful piece!! WOW, I just love the folk-art feel to it. Fantastic face and I love the leaves. Love it!

Paula

M Douglas
07-10-2006, 01:24 AM
Well done and very lovely, interesting how you portrayal the cat in a very realistic manner and the background in a folkart way. Nice blend!!

Melodie

AnnieA
07-10-2006, 02:39 AM
Nice painting, peggy! I can tell just by looking at this that Murphy is quite a character!

I agree with Paula and Melody about the folk art feel of this. The way you used a more abstracted background emphasizes the more realistic cat - and that works very well.

Great job! :thumbsup:

PeggyB
07-10-2006, 10:37 PM
Thank you all - I appreciate your imput very much, and am glad you "got it" in regard to the almost folk art technique. Sometimes I try something new, and don't want to actually mention what I was trying to do so that if anyone mentions it, I know I was successful at least in part with my intention. :cat:

Peggy

Piper Ballou
07-10-2006, 11:32 PM
I just love hearing that stories that go along with the paintings...makes them extra special.
very nice......and folk art like too (okay I cheated and read the other posts)
piper

watergirl
07-11-2006, 12:15 AM
Great job Peggy! We had numerous siamese cats grwoing up but never a long hair. I know that look! The leaves are awesome!

bjcpaints
07-11-2006, 03:11 PM
Hi Peggy,
I love the painting and the story! The look on Murphy's face says it all!

bluefish
07-11-2006, 04:29 PM
I just thought that's the way 'leaves' look in the 'Northwet!' ..............

kidding, of course! Your work is always so wonderful!

Merethe T
07-11-2006, 08:15 PM
Yeh, he's got that look! Lovely work and cute story!