PDA

View Full Version : Pasta machine for Polymer Clay

Rebekah81
07-09-2006, 03:05 PM
Are there any significant differences between pasta machines? Or should I just look for the best price?

Also, does anyone know a good mail order source for pasta machines?

Thanks.

gingery
07-09-2006, 06:11 PM
I've read that Atlas pasta machines-the manual kind, art the best. Sorry, but I don't know of the best mail source. You could try www.mrart.com, sax art, & I would guess any discount cooking supply places. Best of luck.
ginger

Penguintrax
07-09-2006, 06:22 PM
The Amaco ones at the crafts stores aren't great...get an Atlas or an Imperia if you can afford it. I've heard good reviews of the Makins Clay Machine (2nd version).

valeriebeads
07-10-2006, 04:13 AM
I've used Amaco, Darice and Atlas. The craft store pasta machines seem to be harder to roll and honestly I expected them to fall apart with my heavy use. My personal Atlas is a total work horse; all I've ever needed to do was take it apart and clean it when it got a too gunked up. They are good for starting out though if you can't afford a better one (my Atlas was $45 at Bed Bath and Beyond years ago).

Rebekah81
07-11-2006, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the information! I hadn't thought about going to Bed, Bath & Beyond.

bionicanaconda
07-14-2006, 12:58 PM
Hi Rebekah, I have been using an Atlas and this seems to be the best. You can even dismantle it to scrape under the roller scrapers. In fact I removed them completely and left them off. Additionally there are more articles on the web on how to do this.

gbot
07-15-2006, 08:01 PM
I just bought a used Atlas at a moving sale today for $3.00. I was so happy!!

They were appalled that I was going to use it to make jewelry with it!

Gladys

suphattra
07-16-2006, 02:06 AM
I still used Atlas that i bought two years ago.
So far i do not have any problam.:)

LinneaL
07-16-2006, 11:28 AM
I am new to Polymer Clay and loving it. It is totally addictive! I purchased an Amaco clay/pasta machine. What is the differance between Amaco and the brands you have mentioned?. Thus far no problems, at least not that I in my totally unknowing manner is aware of LOL.. Although, the one thing I'm wondering is..Are the other mentioned brands wider? I do find I would like to roll my clay wider at times.

richsantaclaus
07-16-2006, 09:06 PM
Atlas is best I think and I found 2 at garage sales!

gbot
07-19-2006, 03:02 PM
Hey, I now can do the "Skinner Blend"....love my "new" "used" Atlas!!!! I'm having so much fun!! Now I need to find a used toaster oven for baking.

Gladys

sambibabe
08-09-2006, 01:13 AM
Hi everyone,

I am torn between Manual Atlas and Motorized Atlas machine.. Has anyone used both? Which one do you think is better? :)

Penguintrax
08-09-2006, 10:42 AM
If you are going to be doing a lot of clay conditioning and a lot of Skinner blends, go for the motor.