PDA

View Full Version : Digital prints

Lee Gainer
03-12-2002, 06:05 PM
I am using a HP deskjet 940c to create 8x10 prints of my work which will hopefully be up for sale soon. I was wondering of those of you who also output using inkjet/laserjet printers, which brand do you like/ paper do you prefer and why? I am doing some research on price vs. lightfastness now to decide which papers to use...so far, HP premium plus photo glossy seems good. Thanks!

Anthony Carter
03-14-2002, 07:07 PM
I have been using an Epson 2000P. According to Epson, the ink should remain stable for up to 200 years on matte paper. If they are correct, I wont be around to worry about print fade. lol
I like Epsons matte paper, and it is not very expensive. I also like Konica high gloss ink jet paper. (I obtain it from a full service camera store) It gives me great prints and it cost about $.50 per 8 x 10 sheet in the 50 pack.

geckonia
03-17-2002, 07:35 PM
From my experience it is best to use paper from the same manufacturer as your printer. They formulate their papers to work with their inks, so your results will probably be better with HP papers.

Lee Gainer
03-18-2002, 12:15 PM
i have checked out some different manufacturer's papers and Hp offers a 20 year paper...its the best one they have. I hope to work up to a Epson Photo printer to get the 200 year benefit, not to mention the larger sized print. Epson printer...sigh

Linarty
03-18-2002, 06:03 PM
‘Artists Need To Be Creative’
4 or so yrs. ago, in an art class, the prof was discussing his experience with fine art, off-set
printing, and the need to run a color multiple times to achieve the degree of accuracy....it
occurred to me that I could possibly run a paper through my printer several times to achieve a
quality reproduction. Back then, black dots were a prime feature of ‘print-outs’. I used student
grade watercolor paper, depending on the texture of the paper to even out...compensate for...both
the ‘black dot’ thing, and the slight displacement of image in the 2nd pass. The results were so
good as to be scary.

Back then I printed out several reproductions using this technique on my old HP printer. I
framed them and hung them in my SUNROOM where they have not faded. I am an Epson user
at the moment, but am not bound by any emotional ties. If it works, good. If it doesn’t, then I’m
gone.

Lee Gainer
03-19-2002, 11:13 AM
Wow! That paper must have been somewhat acid free or archival or wahtever they call it! I have nothing against the Hp...it works great but I neglected to mention that I am going to print on the glossy photo stock (making photographs, not like a lithograph). When I say print to my photo buddies, they know what I mean but I didn't think that it could be missinterpreted. Silly me...

Anywho...as far as the glossy photo stock, Hp's best is twenty years (Hp colorfast) but Epson has a paper ink combo that will give you 200 years (!). Amazing how far along digital tech.has come in the last ten years! I was hoping to find info. on how Epson papers do with Hp inks as far as lightfastness. The Wilhelm site is in the middle of a redo so no info there for now.

Anyone use Epson or other photo papers (inkjet glossy) in their HP?

Lee Gainer
03-24-2002, 09:58 AM
I think I just stumbled uponthe best thing since sliced bread. Lightjet printing on FujiCrystal Archive paper, rated atleast 60 years by Wilhelm and accepted by museums as the way to present color photographic works. Expensive, yea, but ya get what ya pay for. Now what was I saying about my HP?

Happy Easter!

Linarty
04-06-2002, 10:21 AM
More details, please. It sounds fantastic.