PDA

View Full Version : Rush Hour

RI painter
07-05-2006, 10:55 AM
This is a plein air piece 9" x 12'' oil on panel.
It is 195 in Providence RI. It is about 4:00 pm in the afternoon on a hot and humid friday.
Thanks,
jon

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jul-2006/38670-38670-195rushhour.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jul-2006/38670-38670-195rushhourref.jpg

decoratorgirl
07-05-2006, 12:46 PM
Wow! Amazing that you can paint like that with all that traffic zooming by- this is just fabulous!!

dreamz
07-05-2006, 02:52 PM
I like the way you changed the point of view.. very nice over all

LEIGH RUST
07-06-2006, 01:03 AM
Nice comp, great overall handling of the work.

viking57
07-06-2006, 01:24 AM
Hi Jon,
Wow, not your typical painting but good work here. Maybe a little bright on the distant water? The traffic is excellent Jon!
Ron

RI painter
07-06-2006, 09:44 AM
Thanks guys very much for you comments.
Oops Ron, I must've really messed up in conveying that blue area.
The digital image is proabbly over-brightened anyway, but the "video" blue streak is the distant land with a heavy haze shrouding it.
Jon

viking57
07-06-2006, 10:58 AM
Oh man, sorry about that Jon, I thought this was a coastal city. After having a second look I can see some buildings over there on the left...my mistake kind sir.
Maybe it just looks really blue on my monitor or it's just one of those colors....I have a digital Nikon 5200 and it picks up greens like you wouldn't believe so I've got to take them into Photoshop each time and tone them down before uploading.

On another note Jon.....I've been meaning to ask you about your Plein Air rig. Can you close the lid on your box leaving the painting in there for transporting it? Is that panel? Does it only handle panel, can you use canvas in there and can it be transported in the same way not harming the canvas? Also, do you buy the box and tripod assy seperate? I've been thinking about trying Plein Air and trying to decide between a French Easel and the type you are using.
Ron

RI painter
07-06-2006, 04:51 PM
Oh no problem Ron,
Because the painting was in shadow when I took the picture, I had to boost the brightness later...it really cranked up tha blue in the back.
It is sort of a coastal city..its at the top of a bay. you can see the little swatch of light blue thru the trees...thats the port.

Its a guerilla box...http://www.pochade.com/

it can hold a canvas or multiple panels..I really like it..it requires a tripod.

There are other things out there as well. i just find the french easels to be cumbersome.

jon

yellowjkt01
07-07-2006, 02:25 AM
Very nice work, I like the feel of the loose brush strokes. Do you coat your panel, and if so with what? How long did this piece take you to complete?

plec
07-07-2006, 03:46 AM
Excellent piece of work I really like your colouration and the way you have portrayed the action in this scene.
Best wishes, Ken..

purplepansey
07-07-2006, 09:29 AM
Jonathan, I'm amazed at this painting and how you've captured the rush hour and also the haze of late afternoon where there is a lot of traffic. Love the skyline but not sure of all the white auto tops being too much the same maybe you could show variation.
Wonderful painting.

RI painter
07-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Very nice work, I like the feel of the loose brush strokes. Do you coat your panel, and if so with what? How long did this piece take you to complete?

Yellow,
it took about 50 minutes. I do pre prime my panel and i'm always experimenting with different ways.
this was a mixture of mostly Gamblin white oil ground, a little gamblin galkyd, and some cad yellow and cad red.
thanks,
jon

RI painter
07-07-2006, 03:49 PM
thanks very much Ken!

RI painter
07-07-2006, 03:52 PM
Jonathan, I'm amazed at this painting and how you've captured the rush hour and also the haze of late afternoon where there is a lot of traffic. Love the skyline but not sure of all the white auto tops being too much the same maybe you could show variation.
Wonderful painting.

Purple,
thanks very much for your great comments!
The reference photo doesn't show it because of the cloud shadow, but there was a strong uniform glint/glare off of all the sky-facing panels of the cars...no local colors, just bright reflecting light, so that is what I was trying to convey.
Jon