PDA

View Full Version : Would a mentor be best?

F20
07-05-2006, 09:20 AM
Hi all,
I'm really struggling with the choices available to me right now so hopefully some of you can share your opinion on the matter.

I'm 23 years old and have been doing pencil sketching for as long as I can remember. I've now gotten to a point where I know I cannot go any further on my own, I absolutely need some kind of instruction to get better. I also need some serious color studies (digital painting preferably) as I have largely ignored color over the years and now I'm paying for it, hehe. I pencil shaded all my work. The problem I have I'm not sure what route to pursue to get that instruction I need.

Right now I'm considering the following options: Artbooks and self-studies, a mentor who can teach one-on-one, or some kind of art school.

I have tried artbooks and self-studies in the past, but I've not had much success with them. Self-studies are only marginally helpful, while artbooks have been useless to me. I learned to draw by duplicating (not tracing) pictures, and while that allows me to now reproduce what I have a reference for, I'm incapable of creating any personal work of comparable quality (which is frustrating :p ). As a result the artbooks use techniques that are alien to me (using the basic shapes, skeletons, etc) and don't give enough instruction on them to allow me to really learn them. I'd prefer not to use this option, hehe.

I have a variety of hesitations with the artschool option, and I have absolutely no idea where to even start with the mentoring... if you all think that could even help. I'm mainly after the drawing instruction, color can come after or be an extra bonus. Anybody have any suggestions?

Axl
07-11-2006, 01:35 PM
If you're unsure at the moment about going to art school, perhaps it wouldnt hurt to atleast take some classes in your area, if there is a school or university that would have a few things yo ucould take. Also, look at the works of artists in your area that are doing work that you like, and perhaps you can talk to them and learn a bit from their experience. Also, if you are looking for studies in colour, get outside and do some colour studies with some paint or pastels, of lanscape or people, and you will start seeing relationships between colours and contrasts that will become useful in your own work.