PDA

View Full Version : Macaque WIP from 3/8 FND

AriadneArts
03-12-2002, 02:44 PM
Third attempt at pastels:

I put this on Canson Mi Tientes blue with the thought that blue would work well for a cold snowy scene. Seems okay for the snow so far, but I'm not happy with that look for the macaque. So far it's sketched in graphite and has one light layer of hard pastels (except for the snowball, which already has a soft pastel layer). I'll tweak it a bit more, then apply fixative to enable more layering. Very worried I'll lose detail in the face by applying pastel, so I'm proceeding very slowly and (hopefully) learning as I go.

ALL suggestions, comments are welcome! I'm kind of floundering away mostly, on my own, with a book.

Size is 9 x 12.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Mar-2002/Macaque_phase_1003.jpg

AriadneArts
03-12-2002, 02:49 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Mar-2002/Macaque_photo.JPG

orchidlover6
03-12-2002, 03:02 PM
This fellow is absolutely adorable. I want to play with him! Great job you've done here.:clap: :clap: :clap:

digistyle
03-12-2002, 05:40 PM
This is coming along well. I think it was a good idea to use the colored paper, it helps to resolve the snow (which was the thing that kept me from doing this one :) ).

digistyle

sandge
03-12-2002, 06:53 PM
This is a very good start. You have some work to do in establishing the strong dark figure against a very light background. Watch the proportions, too - I think you might be going a bit wide at the arms.

For the future I would suggest working on the other side of the paper ( the non-orange-peel side LOL).

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. So far, so good. :)

TeAnne
03-12-2002, 07:01 PM
Not an easy one. I like how you did the fur. I hate doing fur.

AriadneArts
03-12-2002, 07:15 PM
Thanks Orchid, Digi, Sandra and Teanne.

Digi: Exactly. The snow is the reason I chose the blue. Don't know if I can handle it though.

Sandra: Yes, after I started the pastels, I wished I had used the smooth side. You have a good eye--I noticed the upper arms right after I posted it and saw it on the monitor. Funny how posting the image helps you see proportions and shading.... I think I may have fixed them. I'm posting the progress in the next post.

AriadneArts
03-12-2002, 07:23 PM
I narrowed the upper arms and his right (our left) hip. Brightened his face with pastel pencils and applied soft pastels over all, with pastel pencil and Nupastel for detail.

ALL input is much appreciated (not to mention NEEDED). LOL

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Mar-2002/Macaque_phase_3_soft_pastel001.jpg

impetuous
03-13-2002, 03:58 AM
This little fella is sooooo cute:D I love the way you've done his face!

Irina
03-13-2002, 06:25 AM
AriadneArts, he's just adorable. :clap: I can understand you can be unsatisfied with something and I can see you got some help but all I've got to say is that you've done a wonderful job on the little guy. Good luck!

IrinA

Caron
03-13-2002, 08:06 AM
Eileen, you did awesome girl! Your choice of paper was right on for the snow and you seemed to snap around on making him pop out when you continued! I dont know what I like better about this one. His face is fantastic and the fur is so textured and even the bits of snow on him you did very well! I love it and you captured him:clap: :clap: I think your choice of paper helped in the fur colouration too which I think you thought was really going to be a hinderence. Im really glad to see you have done him Eileen and so well at that.

greencook
03-13-2002, 10:55 AM
Eileen,
This is really nice!!! :)
I really like the face on this guy. Glad you sharpened the focus more than the reference pic. It really pops out!
The only thing I'd like to see would be more of an anchoring shadow where he's standing, and perhaps some shading on his chest to to sharpen where his arms start - especially his left arm.
These are just nit-picky things. Take them or leave them. I'm certainly no expert either.
I keep going back to look at that face! Well done. :clap: :clap:

Have a great day! :)

AriadneArts
03-13-2002, 05:41 PM
Thanks so much, everyone!

Imp: I'm so glad you like the face. I worried about getting the detail in pastel. I did a light color "test" in Col-erase pencil, which helped a lot and was easily erased for applying the pastel.

Caron: First, I want to thank you a mill for your help in getting me a clearer reference photo and for your encouragement. I guess the fur worked out alright after all on the blue--gave it a cold look for a snowy day. I worried about the backlighting on his fur and don't know that I've quite "got" it yet.

GC: Thanks--I really appreciate your suggestions. I had already thought about the "anchor" problem you pointed out. I just am a little intimidated to try drawing a shadow when there isn't one on the reference photo. But I agree it needs one. Guess I'll fool around with that a bit--try to work out a readable shadow. As for his upper arms, I hadn't noticed until you pointed it out. Yes, you're right and I'll darken that a little bit as well.

I'm overwhelmed by all the response and also very encouraged! Thanks again, everyone! :p

joemajury
03-21-2002, 08:06 PM
I love the way this has turned out, you have given the animal real character - good one

Joe
;) ;)

AriadneArts
03-24-2002, 10:11 PM
Thanks so much, Joe. Nice to see you over this way. I've got to make a visit to Mixed/Other Media soon. Lovely to hear from you.