PDA

View Full Version : Can we talk flashes?

RaeBuckner
07-01-2006, 02:28 PM
Okay prior to my sudden delving into the DSLR world..... I was planning to buy a external flash for my film Canon rebel 2000....

I 'think' I understand enough now to know that I won't be able to get a flash that will work for both the film rebel an the digital rebel (rats). What I can't decide is .... what to do now?

It makes more 'sense' to buy a flash for the digital rebel, but it's also more expensive, yet it 'seems' like I'd use it more. However since my digital rebel is still in the mail (err on the ups truck I presume).... I don't honestly know how much I'll like/use it. I'm still a little timid at the idea of completely going digital..... I love my film slr!

Anywho ... I've heard a lower end external mount flash for the digital rebel would be the Canon 420ex .... and if I was reallly careful I might find it for $150 (though most I see are running about $220).

What would be a good flash for the film rebel? And am I kidding myself that it would still be worth it to buy one.. or do you think it would just collect dust *sigh*?

Any other flash recommendations? I tend to have the most photographic issues indoors due to poor lighting so it 'seems' like getting a good flash would be a useful tool for me.

~Rae~

meriadoc
07-02-2006, 01:25 AM
the 420EX will work on your film camera also.

RaeBuckner
07-02-2006, 06:54 PM
hmm I'm torn between the Canon 420ex .. 430ex or the Sigma EF-500 DG ST can find some really good prices on the latter, and the functions seem to be quite similar to the Canon 430ex.

Any thoughts on these models?

Glad to hear at least the digital style flashes can work with the film cameras as well.

meriadoc
07-02-2006, 10:15 PM
The 430EX is designed for the newer models of camera, 20D, rebel XT, but it has features that won't work on the older rebel.

I'd stick with the 420EX because it will work on both.