PDA

View Full Version : Listed artists

El_Elegante
03-11-2002, 11:06 PM
I am still mulling about debating on the merits of selling some older work at ebay. If I do sell my work, I don't plan on using the "self representing artists" section. Seems people get less there. although maybe the odds are better. any thoughts on whether it is better to list in the general or self rep sections?

my main question however is this. I have noticed that allot of people on ebay use the term "Listed artist" meaning typically that the artist is listed in Davenports Who's Who in American art, The artists bluebook, or one of several publications on past or contemporary art. by some bizarre, twisted act of fate, I am a listed artist, which I find quite amusing as I have only sold about 30 paintings, and only about 5 major works, and have never shown in a major gallery. But regardless, I am a listed artist. So my question is, if I try to sell my work on ebay, would it be cheezy to call myself that??? Would it help get a better price for my work? anyone have experience re this type of thing?

CarlyHardy
03-11-2002, 11:14 PM
I don't consider it cheesy! If you're listed....then let buyers know!

I get just as many hits whether I list in the Self-Rep category or in the Painting/1950-now/American. But as I mentioned elsewhere, I list paintings in one or the other, since buyers will click on the link to see all my work if they're interested....and this catches buyers in both categories.

There is a new movement on to create a List of Self-Rep Artists which is e-business related. I already qualify!...so soon I'll be "listed" as SRA on the 'net'.

carly

Sumafra
03-12-2002, 01:24 AM
Carly, can you explain how you qualified to be listed as SRA on the net??? :confused:

CarlyHardy
03-17-2002, 01:03 AM
Sumafra....I can't give out all the details yet, but a group is working to create a Self-Representing Artist List for collectors seeking art online thru auctions and direct sales.

Since I've been self-representing on Ebay for several months and have built good feedback, I qualify. So do many of our members here! When all info is available, I'll post a thread about it.
carly

Sumafra
03-17-2002, 02:45 PM
Thanks, Carly. I'd like to look into that too. I have been selling on Ebay for nearly a year and have really good feedback. So, please, do give us the details when you can.

TracyN
03-27-2002, 12:18 PM
I am very interested in this info too as I have sold around 100 works on ebay over the past year or two and have good feedback also! :p

CathyD
03-27-2002, 02:11 PM
Me too, I would love to hear about this information!
Thanks
Cathy

paintergirl
04-21-2002, 08:22 PM
Wow...I feel like I have been hiding under a rock ...I didnt even know about this book of 'listed artists'...any more information on that? I have sold a good number of works now.

El, any listing reference would be good to advertise...a case of the more, the merrier? A plug is a plug! :D

arlene
04-22-2002, 12:28 PM
el, do you have a link for the book and how did u find out you were listed?

paintergirl
04-22-2002, 03:26 PM
I combed a few search engines and only came up with these...

http://www.marquiswhoswho.com/wwart.htm

http://www.art-gallery.com.au/gossip/gossip.html

Am still looking ...

:D

El_Elegante
04-23-2002, 05:27 PM
I hadn't followed up on this post for a while.... I thought people were done answering. Here is a link to a page with a bunch of art reference books.

http://www.dealerschoicebooks.com/auctpric.htm

I am in the artists bluebook, or will be when this years comes out. There are litterally dozens of major art reference books. You can go check out some at your local library. As to how to become a "listed" artist, usually you need to have public auction records, or have a museum or gallery report you, in my case however, my wife submitted my information. Which much to my surprise, they accepted. There really isn't much info on me. Just a 3 sentence bio, and my year of birth.

I am probably the least significant artist listed lol.. most of them have museum presence...

Shai
07-15-2002, 10:52 AM
I was just wondering again if it takes to be listed in a Who's Who book in order to be qualified listed artist?

What if you have been listed in other artist's directories? Does this count as being 'listed'?

TPS
07-15-2002, 05:55 PM
To be "listed" means your work has sold through one of the major art auction houses. This is the meaning that has merit to those who look for this notation. It means your work has collectable value to those who care about investments in art.

The various Who's Who books are basically pay to play advertising. You submit info with the required fee and basically that's it, providing your info is valid. It has no meaning to the folks that understand how it is compiled. And those that are concerned with "listed" artists would give no particular notice to a WW inclusion. Those who don't know the difference might be impressed though.

El_Elegante
07-15-2002, 07:15 PM
Ya, the who's who books are not gonna be given much thought by collectors... they are basically a money making business for the publishers.. half the people that buy those books are the same people that paid to get listed in them. The artists bluebook is a legit artists directory, although it doesn't carry the weight that a good writeup in davinports might. Typically most people do not get listed in one of the legitimate who's who books unless they have established auction records... which I do not. Artists bluebook is a bit more liberal apparently, and will review an artists work and biography for possible inclusion without requiring a museum presence, or auction history. They will accept most established proffessional artists into their database, although I get the impression, making a living selling $100 flower prints at the local frame shops isn't what they have in mind for inclusion. I am a bit surprised I was included, I am probably the least experienced artist that they list...

Shai
07-15-2002, 08:33 PM
Great! Thanks for the info, TPS and El. I have encountered the term and was just wondering what it's about.

As someone who had no clue what it was, I have to admit that I was neither impressed nor excited by the term 'listed'. But it did get me curious enough to find out the meaning. ;)

Again, thanks!

Ginette
07-16-2002, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by TPS
T
The various Who's Who books are basically pay to play advertising. You submit info with the required fee and basically that's it, providing your info is valid.
The above is so true. :-)
A few month ago I was approached by one of those Who's Who... funny story.
They went through this whole speech about me, my work etc. etc.
I felt pretty great (BIG SMILE) after everything they said about me.

Then came the punch line. To be in this Who's Who there is a fee of so & so $$$.

Well I figured this: If my work and all that was so great, so much so that they want me in that book, why would I have to pay.
I told them thanks but NO THANKS.

Maybe my Ego isn't big enough. I'll wait for the real thing.

I figure people know how this Who's Who business works anyway. Just an elite Yellow Pages.

Ginette

Shai
07-16-2002, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Ginette
Then came the punch line. To be in this Who's Who there is a fee of so & so $$$.

Well I figured this: If my work and all that was so great, so much so that they want me in that book, why would I have to pay.
I told them thanks but NO THANKS.

Maybe my Ego isn't big enough. I'll wait for the real thing.

I agree completely. I have been invited this way as well, but I always so NO WAY if there's a fee involved. You're right, when I get interviews for publication in a magazine or elsewhere (in my other lives, not on the painting life YET ;)), I don't have to pay. In fact, sometimes, I get paid. So, there you go.

Maybe it's not just the ego. It's my savings account that isn't big enough. Well I suppose, if it is, I wouldn't care about such listings all the more. :D

As I always tell people who tell me, "Someday, you'll be famous!": "Never mind the fame, show me the money!" :angel: :p

--------
Aside: I just posted this message and realised it's my 100th post. Woohoo!

plumpfairy
07-19-2002, 05:29 PM
:confused: Dead-gummit! I had no idea such things existed...."Who's Who in art"....seems to me.....that there is some sort of elusive, mysterious, and inaccessible club where only the "ELITE ARTISTS" can navigate in.....but, how does one become "ELITE"? Where the heck is the door?
Do I have to DIE first?
thanks y'all for this enlightening data,
jana:crying:

El_Elegante
07-19-2002, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by plumpfairy
:confused: Dead-gummit! I had no idea such things existed...."Who's Who in art"....seems to me.....that there is some sort of elusive, mysterious, and inaccessible club where only the "ELITE ARTISTS" can navigate in.....but, how does one become "ELITE"? Where the heck is the door?
Do I have to DIE first?
thanks y'all for this enlightening data,
jana:crying:

LOL does that make me ELITE? Heck, I cant even sell an ink sketch.. like I said... it was a bizarre twist of fate that I got listed. may as well use it I guess.

plumpfairy
07-19-2002, 07:29 PM
:crying: Oh jeeeze! I am sorry. I am soooo frustrated in the "ART MARKET" for many years now I've been searching, whith ZERO bites. I am pleased that you achieved some sort of MARK. Thank GOD someone does. It makes me wonder about "DESTINY"....?
jana:(

El_Elegante
07-20-2002, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by plumpfairy
:crying: Oh jeeeze! I am sorry. I am soooo frustrated in the "ART MARKET" for many years now I've been searching, whith ZERO bites. I am pleased that you achieved some sort of MARK. Thank GOD someone does. It makes me wonder about "DESTINY"....?
jana:(

Don't be sorry... I am in the same boat... 12 years at it... and still no one bites... sure I get letters from collectors and professors and artists from all over the world complementing my work... but few stay to buy... Destiny? I am destined to become famous... but this may not happen till after I die... I hope I don't have to wait that long... life is pretty rough in the meantime..