PDA

View Full Version : New Magazine Calls For Artists

PaulC44446
06-30-2006, 08:29 AM
Hello,

My name is Paul Campbell. My login here is PaulC44446. Some of you are probably familiar with my work and or my postings here on this site. I do story and cover illustrations for several different publishers including Baen’s Books. I have a background in not only illustration by in writing as well; having a fiction book published titled “Inside the Insane”. I also have a background in publishing, having owned and operated my own publishing company for approx. 5 years where I produced monthly tabloid magazines. I’m now starting a new project and looking for artists.

This new project will be a full size magazine (8.5” x 11”) full color front and back cover with approx. 100 – 200 bw pages inside. The magazine is titled “RAZAR” and will be a spotlight for writers and artists. It’ll be based around horror, science fiction and fantasy work. This will be a POD (print on demand) published through Lulu at the beginning. However I will be seeking a larger publisher to shoulder the burden of publishing and distribution… so your work will be seen by larger publishers. The first couple of issues are already full as far as the writing goes. This is due to the professional editor that I hired from the start. However, there’s still plenty of room for more artists as I plan to have at least one illustration per page.

Each issue will only have 4 – 5 writers per issue. However, each writer will have a published collection of their work from 10 – 20 short stories. Some of these flash stories are under 500 words each where some might be 2,000 words. This should give you an idea of how many illustrations I need. I can do this all myself, however, if I do all the illustrations myself I would only be able to produce 1 magazine every 6 months. The more artists I have the more often I can publish. I would like to be able to publish one every other month.

For any artist interested, this is how it’ll work:

Payment will be in the form of advertising. Should an artist illustrate 1 story they would get a business card size ad. 2 stories and they get a quarter page ad. 3 stories equals a free half page ad. 4 stories and they’ll get a full page ad. Then it starts all over meaning… 5 stories and they get a full page ad and a business card ad. 6 stories and they get a full page ad and a quarter page ad, etc… Please keep in mind that some stories will require more than one illustration per story and payment is per story, not illustration.

Any artist chosen will be asked how many stories they would like to do. I have plenty to go around. I will then e-mail you the story(s) with a note telling you how many illustrations are need for that story… minimum would be 1 and at maximum it would probably be 3 - 4. I will also instruct the artist as to what the sizes of the illustrations need to be. Then it’s totally up to the artist as to what they do in the illustrations… as long as they pertain to the story. I would prefer the illustrations to be in color in a medium that would transfer over to bw well. Reason being, later down the road I might chose to do a full color anniversary issue and this way the work would already be done. However, if you only work in black and white that’s fine also.

Any artist that might be interested can e-mail me at: [email protected] ([email protected]). You can either attach a sample of your work and or send me a link to some of work online so I can take a look at your style. Also, if anyone has any questions, they can either post them on this thread or send them to me by e-mail.

I’ll be upfront with everyone. I really don’t see this making a lot of money, especially not at the beginning. As a matter of fact, I’ll probably lose money doing this. This is more of a labor of love. I’m looking to help both writers and artist by helping them get more published credits for their portfolios along with possible future jobs from publishers that’ll see their work in this magazine. Now don’t be shy. If you’re interested contact me. I would like to have the first issue out by this Sept but I need more artists to do this. The only style that I won’t be at least considering is abstract.

PaulC44446

PaulC44446
06-30-2006, 10:12 AM
I forgot to mention... reprints are o.k. just as long as you own the current rights to them. This means that you could dig through your portfolio and maybe might not have to do new illustrations... just as long as they fit the story they're for. However, RAZAR will never publish reprints of it's own work. meaning that if RAZAR uses one of your illustrations for a tory then it will never appear again in any other issue of RAZAR.

The reasoning behind the acceptence of reprints is simple. An artist never does his or her best work every time with every new piece created. It would be like an art director asking for a new illustrations and as they walk out of the room saying "Oh, by the way, make sure this is the best work you've ever done." This magazine is a spotlight for writers and artists. Why spotlight anything but your best work?

PaulC44446

Yorky
06-30-2006, 12:32 PM
Paul, I don't see how this fits in with the posting guidelines for this forum, nor for wetcanvas as a whole.

This is simply soliciting for business and will probably come under the definition of "Spam" according to the Rules of Conduct.

I'll do a check.

OK Here's the relevant section of the Anti-spam poicy:

The following are not allowed and will be removed as solicitous. These are named specifically either because of the frequency or gray area involved. However, please refer to the information above for the complete rules.

“Why On Earth Won’t You Let Me Advertise For Free?” Posts. Spam is one of the things we deal with most on a day-to-day basis. Sometimes well-meaning business owners seem angry that we do not allow free advertising on the site, under the assumption that they have a right to profit off of WetCanvas! The site requires multiple servers, a full-time person, and pushes many terabytes of data each month; please know the site costs more than it takes in from member-generated support and we need the support of those who would like to reach the WC! membership to continue to operate. Companies who advertise, and benefit, subsidize the costs, as do the generous members of WC! who name their own subscription.

Direct solicitations or offers. Representatives of a third party site may not solicit members of WetCanvas! to engage in activities on third party sites (like purchasing product, posting, creating articles, lessons, projects, etc.).

Indirect solicitations or offers. Indirect solicitations or offers disguised, or embedded within, other, often meaningful or useful information. This includes the use of message posts to discuss or promote (directly or indirectly) your products and/or services. Please know that the entire post may be removed in these instances.

Doug

PaulC44446
06-30-2006, 01:07 PM
I just sent you a personal message explaining that I'm merely trying to help artists by donating countless hours of my time and money out of my own pocket to help them get published portfolio pieces. However, if you want to remove the thread then you have no arguements from me. I just always thought Wet Canvas was here for artists to help other artists.

PaulC44446

Yorky
06-30-2006, 01:16 PM
OK Paul,

I have now had guidance on this, and it appears that it is acceptable within this forum only as the posting guidelines also state:

Potential commission needs and Artist needed (jobs!), which is what this is.

Doug

paintfool
07-01-2006, 06:25 AM
Thank you Doug, for your concern and for seeking guidance on this matter. I'd also like to thank you, Paul for this offer!

I can see where this type of offer would normally cause some confusion or concern for our moderators, who do a wonderful job of keeping our forums spam free. :)

There is often a fine line between spam and genuine opportunities for our fine artists. I'm glad that we've been able to sort this one out and i wish you and the participants great success!

kennychaffin
07-01-2006, 06:38 AM
Thanks Paul.

KAC