PDA

View Full Version : Kiwi concerns re an Artspan account

Beanie
06-29-2006, 07:44 PM
Hi

An artist pen-pal and I have been discussing how we might get more exposure (and possible sales) for our art, - naturally the pros and cons of Artspan featured strongly!:evil:

Anyway he has just set his Artspan site up and I am still pondering ... the main reason being that I live in New Zealand. Why should that be a problem you might ask? Well, for one thing there are NO artists based in NZ on Artspan, and only around 50 from Britain. The great majority are from USA.

I really would like to give Artspan a try but am worried :confused: about the Freight issues .... viz. cost and safety. Last year I made extensive enquiries about sending a large-ish painting framed under glass to UK. You would not believe the rules and regulations the companies had about crating, etc. Some were not even willing to consider it at all. The two quotes that I was able to get were around $250 (NZD) plus the cost of a custom-made crate!

I also do acrylic work on stretched canvases so they would not be so much of a problem. But I have no idea how I might send unframed pastelwork without fear of smudging.

There MUST be experienced Artspan-ists out there who could offer me some advice about freighting stuff, and transport of pastels in particular?

I would also ask about pricing on Artspan ... is it best to price in US dollars?

Also ... about payment .... do artists send their work off before or after receiving payment? (if I join Artspan I will set up my own shopping cart with PayPal).

thanks for reading this ... and please please help!!!! :wave:

EricS
08-02-2006, 05:40 PM
I am artspan director....we have artists around the world, and want more. It was never our intention to make this site US-centric, thoujgh this is the largest market. We have done most of our advertising here but magazines like Art in America and ARTnews are seen in a lot of places. For particulars on our offering,may I suggest visiting the site...you can also shoot me an email at [email protected] (be sure to put your name and WC in the subject header, I am getting close to 1000 mails a day, most spam)..

Beanie
08-02-2006, 10:59 PM
Dear Eric

how very nice to get a reply to at least one of my queries! I had quite given up hope of any sort of response.

I am currently looking to raise my profile here in New Zealand, but intend to look further afield in a few months and will certainly look at ArtSpan again. Meanwhile I have signed up with two free art sites ... Affordable Art (http://www.affordable-art.co.nz) locally here in New Zealand and Your Art.com (http://www.yourart.com/).

I will keep your message for future reference ... thank you.

Bitmetal
08-04-2006, 05:43 AM
Never send your product before receiving payment!