PDA

View Full Version : Casein and Fresco -- a new addiction

richlll
06-28-2006, 03:27 AM
I'd like to put my casein and fresco samples here to see if I can scare up some interest and comments in these rather neglected forms of expression. I hear that fresco may be becoming popular again, but I didn't want to spend the $2200./week for the only school I could find teaching traditional buon fresco, so I figured I would teach myself. One big shortcut I was able to take was to purchase a DVD from the very generous teacher-researcher-master painter Don Jusko (also a WC! partner)

Fresco is hard work for sure I have sweat more and made bigger messes that with any of my other art adventures.

I will be putting several samples within this same thread.

These first samples are casein, it paints like watercolor and can finish like oil, it dries matte but can be buffed to a satin finish or varnished...talk about cool stuff to play with!!!! :thumbsup:

Rich

richlll
06-28-2006, 03:29 AM
I forgot to mention that this mango is 5" x 7" on board. I am posting an image with glare on it so you can see just how much the paint can be buffed out to an oil paint looking finish.
Rich

richlll
06-28-2006, 03:34 AM
This is a 6" x 8" casein on canvas board. You have to paint on a rigid surface, bending will cause cracking if too thick but caseins are said to be able to last longer than oil........ let the fight begin.... :lol:

richlll
06-28-2006, 03:40 AM
This will be my first attempt at buon fresco, I'll be showing 2 more, this first one was done with a harware store venitian plaster, but it seems to have acrylic in it so it was kind of goofy, that wasn't the main problem, my top coat, the intonaco, was layed over an uneven surface and not levelled, this caused tremendous amounts of cracking, but I kept it anyway because it kind of looks like I have an artifact from way back. :wink2:

richlll
06-28-2006, 03:45 AM
I did a second fresco which completely fell apart, so this one is my 3rd attempt, I used true lime putty from Sinopia, it didn't crack but I did pick at it to test it just for fun, I also tried to see how dark I could go in certain areas. It is 8"x 10". Somewhat successful.
Rich

richlll
06-28-2006, 03:52 AM
For this most recent one I used a 6" x 8" tile, all the others are on tile, plus metal lathe and one base coat of sand and plaster mixed about 8:5 with a tablespoon of marble dust added. This piece was not levelled properly, meaning evenly, it is too thin on the lower left, I have one crack starting but it shouldn't be too bad. With this one I had the most success seeing what a true fresco is like - the color was soaked into the plaster and I could paint on it for about 4 hours. It was a kick to see it working the way I read about. :heart: :D

Rich

Mary Woodul
06-28-2006, 06:53 AM
Hi rich! Well you sure scared up some interest on my part. Your work is just beautiful in fact even the one that has crackled off in part, I think can stand alone as a unique piece with a different effect. Please keep posting this work.:)

Only one thing, I will have to remove your link to the DVD. I know you didn't do it intentionally but if you read the User's Agreement again please, you will see it is not permitted.

Looking forward to more work!:thumbsup:

Te_Wheke
11-23-2006, 08:54 PM
I have spent most of today trying to source Lime Putty.. I am determined to get some fresco work done in the coming year. I have dabbled in fresco a bit at Uni in the eighties but not since. I hope that you are still working with this technique. I would like to see an update if possible?

regards
TW

Mary Woodul
11-23-2006, 09:26 PM
Hi TSH! We now have a Casein forum so I will move this thread there so that you can get more feedback from the people that know about the technique.

Te_Wheke
11-23-2006, 11:23 PM
Thank you Mary, I appreciate your help :)

Regards
TW

richlll
11-24-2006, 02:03 AM
I have spent most of today trying to source Lime Putty.. I am determined to get some fresco work done in the coming year. I have dabbled in fresco a bit at Uni in the eighties but not since. I hope that you are still working with this technique. I would like to see an update if possible?

regards
TW

Hi TW:
For your lime putty check Sinopia or Kemerpigments, they are about $10. per liter for 5 year old slaked lime. I am going to keep at it, I have taken an excursion into egg tempera since posting these pictures, also I am preparing for a December show, so I have to paint about 4 more oils before I can figure out what to do next.
Rich

Te_Wheke
11-24-2006, 04:03 AM
Hi TW:
For your lime putty check Sinopia or Kemerpigments, they are about $10. per liter for 5 year old slaked lime. I am going to keep at it, I have taken an excursion into egg tempera since posting these pictures, also I am preparing for a December show, so I have to paint about 4 more oils before I can figure out what to do next.
Rich
Thanks for the update Rich and the supplier info! I'll check into those sources, hopefully they provide product to New Zealand. Sounds like you have allot on, I appreciate the update. I know how it is trying to get work together for exhibitions, I just organised one that opened on the 17 of this month. It was a bear of a thing to get together, in the end I didn't get my own work finished, just had to whip a few things out for the night.

Thanks again

Cheers
Tw

JeffG
11-24-2006, 09:19 AM
This will be my first attempt at buon fresco, .... this caused tremendous amounts of cracking, but I kept it anyway because it kind of looks like I have an artifact from way back.

Hey, that looks pretty cool.

richlll
11-26-2006, 05:51 AM
Time-out.....for a little fresco secco, this is a split brick paver, ~ 4" x 9" using something like Keim's water glass paint -- cool stuff if you've never tried it, btw, AKA water glass paint (and K-silicate). I'll be posting several shots of the same piece: 3-d view and elevation view w/details. Rich

richlll
11-26-2006, 05:54 AM
front view...

richlll
11-26-2006, 05:25 PM
Please check this link (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384743) for some of my oil paintings that will be in my December show. Thanks. Rich