PDA

View Full Version : will epoxy yellow?

daveg
06-26-2006, 04:10 PM
Hi, I had some questions about using expoxy resin to coat over my paintings and it was wonderful to do a search through the old archives to get the info.

I still have some questions however, does anyone know the archival characteristics of an epoxy coat? Does it yellow? How much will a UV coat over top help?

Thanks
Dave

idylbrush
06-26-2006, 04:57 PM
Hard to say but you might want to check with the maker of the resin. If you can't find the answer there then write an email to the sales department explaining all that you want to do with it and they may be kind enought to check with the tech department or chemical department and give you a straight from the horses mouth answer.

madster
06-26-2006, 07:15 PM
All epoxy resins will yellow some with age. It is the nature of the beast.
The newer polymer epoxies have UV retardants in them to slow the process, but over time, just like any varnish you use, some yellowing will occur.

Exposure to direct sunlight will hasten the effect, so it is recommended that you minimize such exposure (although you seldom want your work to hang in direct sunlight, even without a resin topcoat!).

The different manufacturers will tell you how their product may yellow less, or slower, than other brands, but there is no such thing as any of them remaining unyellowed for more than a few years. I have some pieces of epoxied wood from the mid-70s, and the effect is like a pale amber, although there is no clouding.

~M