PDA

View Full Version : hair art

AndyRichardson
03-11-2002, 03:36 AM
This is a whimsical query..just a notion I had while cleaning out a comb recently..got me to wondering: Anyone know of any art produced with human hair? I recently saw an abstract composition at a gallery that was made up of feathers, all sorts of synthetic and metallic threads, fabric, etc. (but no hair). My wife has hair that is about 4 feet long, and its pretty strong, could probably use it in a sewing machine! Anyway, just brain storming here. Any input would be welcome. Thanks.

diane555
03-11-2002, 07:27 AM
Hi Andy

I haven't done anything with hair but the Victorians did what was called Mourning Art with hair from a loved one to help them get through the greiving process. Most of the examples I have seen were mid to late 1800's. While many of them were quite small I have seen one or two about 12" in size. Here are a couple things I came across recently while doing some research on victorians I thought might interest you. The first is an example of hair art and as you can see this must be quite a time intensive art to acheive such detail with hair!! Back home at Uncle Tom's Cabin they had a couple examples that were floral pieces done with hair and the work seen up close is unbelievable!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2002/hairart.jpg
Here is a link to a hair art society...I haven't checked it out yet so I can't say if it might be of any interest to you.
http://www.hairworksociety.org/

Hope this helps somewhat.
Di

sassybird
03-11-2002, 12:48 PM
I wish I could remember this man's name. He was of asian descent, and works with nothing but hair. He collects hair from around the world. Has contacts in all kinds of salons to get his inventory of hair. His pieces are just fantastic! He gave a good lecture on how different hair is from one head to another, the colors, the texture etc.... and then gave a little demo of how he works with it. Oh, I wish I could remember his name. He does very large pieces also.

joemajury
03-11-2002, 03:42 PM
I have seen something on this as well, but cant for the life of me remember.
I will have a look in some search engines

Joe
;) ;)

mame
03-12-2002, 09:23 AM
http://www.plexus.org/gu.html

Chinese hair artist.

Leaflin
03-12-2002, 11:01 AM
My Mom uses real hair in making wigs for her porcelain sculptures but not as an art form to itself.

That was really interesting Mame.
I love the first one on the page.

sassybird
03-13-2002, 01:22 AM
Thank you Auntie Mame!!! That is exactly who I was thinking about. The work fascinates me, especially since I do a lot of fibers work also. I know some of my hair has ended up in pieces by accident....lol

AndyRichardson
03-15-2002, 01:59 AM
Yeah, now we're getting closer, thanks mame! Looking to see the use of hair in a more formal way than representational..as a linear element obviously.:)

orchidlover6
03-15-2002, 11:38 PM
I have a friend who has a very large scene made of some of her ancestors hair. It is beautifully fasinating and morbid at the same time. That's the only hair art I've heard of until mame's post.