PDA

View Full Version : Late FND

Lulu
03-11-2002, 02:13 AM
Was out at the weekend so did this this afternoon. Took me 2 hrs - pastel over watercolour. I was trying to use w/c alone but got frustrated with it (nothing new lol:))

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2002/lulufire2.jpg

artdudette
03-11-2002, 02:42 AM
Lulu

This is great! I love the way you really captured the depth of the shadows on the sides of the hills to the left and right, and the intensity of the blaze!

You did a really great job with this!

Better late than never! Glad you showed up!

tuatara
03-11-2002, 03:30 AM
Hi Lulu,

seems we are the only fireeaters here. I really like the shapes of the deer, you caught them accurately and I know they weren't that easy.Speaking from experience of course.:) I think the most interesting thing about your version is the heat haze that comes through exceptionally well. Its like when its a hot day and the road starts to shimmer. Well done.

Pam:)

impetuous
03-11-2002, 03:57 AM
This is beautiful Lulu:) the colours are gorgeous. The fire has got real depth, it looks as if it's burning for miles in the background.

Rod
03-11-2002, 04:50 AM
Lovely work Lulu,
it glows, I can feel the intense heat, great depth .
Your foliage greens contrast nicely,

Rod

REMBRANDT
03-11-2002, 05:04 AM
oooooo! Another firey glow achieved so beautifully! You and tautara are so brave to have chosen this hard one to do and you both did it great! Man, this must be the hardest one to do! I looked at the reference image and cringed. I really want to be able to do this someday, but I was sure I could not do it that day. You two have made me really want to attempt this and keep at it until it looks half decent. If it doesn't look firey enough, I'll just set a match to it. heheheh Beautiful work, LuLu! And you did pastel over watercolor! I never thought to use such combinations as I am hearing about during these drawing sessions. That sounds like a good idea to combine those two, although I wonder if the watercolor doesn't ruin the tooth of the paper for the pastel to grab onto. But if starting off with a watercolor that needs something more, adding pastel sounds like a good solution. It sure worked well here!

orchidlover6
03-11-2002, 11:03 AM
very hot looking! You did a great job Lulu!

busy91
03-11-2002, 03:23 PM
The fire looks great. You did a good job there. Very vivid.

marilyn h
03-11-2002, 05:21 PM
My fingers are sizzling as I look at this thread. It looks so real. Beautifully done! Smart deer to stand in the water with flames so near.

Ivyleaf
03-12-2002, 01:50 AM
Wowsers that glows! You did an awesome job!

:D :D :D
Ivy

Lulu
03-12-2002, 02:02 PM
artdudette, tuatara, Imp, Rod, Rembrandt, OL6, busy, Marilyn and Ivy - thank you so much for your comments. I wasn't very sure about this when I began but the beauty of the fnd's is that it doesn't matter so much about the end result - having a 'go' is what it's all about. And I love the time limit - really makes you 'see' and work very quickly.

Rembrandt, the w/c paper I used has good tooth on it for pastels - it's a fairly common combination using pastel over w/c.
I do it usually because I'm too impatient with w/c alone:D

digistyle
03-12-2002, 05:48 PM
I passed over this choice because I didn't have a clue as to where to begin! Excellent work on a difficult subject!

digistyle

TeAnne
03-12-2002, 06:41 PM
Excellent Lulu. I love it :D
Wish I had the time to join in these week-enders. :(

Lulu
03-12-2002, 10:01 PM
Thank you digi and Te:)

Te, I wish you could join in too, it's fun. It can be done later if you can't manage it on the day. Just limit yourself to the 2 hrs.