PDA

View Full Version : What's happening with Paypal?

CathyD
03-10-2002, 03:47 PM
I have heard that Paypal is not doing too well, but not enough to even say what the problem is.... Anyone know what is going on?

Ginette
03-10-2002, 06:50 PM
I have not heard a thing.
Use PayPal in my auctions exclusively for 3 years.
Never had a problem.
Where have you heard something?

Ginette

Sumafra
03-11-2002, 02:13 AM
Haven't heard anything either and never had a problem. What's up???:(

CathyD
03-11-2002, 02:45 AM
Well, here is something an artist friend mentioned when asked what the deal was with Paypal:

"I was referring to reports that PayPal has lost money from its inception.
(Actually, I noticed that its stock prices are still going up on the stock
exchange.) I think buyers are being scared away from it because of that and
other bad publicity."

Hmmmm.... Well so far Paypal has been good for me. Most of my customers prefer paypal, or I get checks, and occasionally people will use ebay checkout. I have not had a speck of trouble with Paypal. and it is so easy to use.

I hope there is not any problems brewing with Paypal.
Cathy

CarlyHardy
03-11-2002, 11:19 AM
I prefer using PayPal...over BillPoint! And so do most of my buyers...since checkout, noone is using ebay payments that buy from me. The process is just too confusing for buyers who are never sure of what information to expect.

(this is an aside comment to all of us...let's stick with the facts here on the boards so we don't perpetuate any "rumblings".)
:) carly

timelady
03-11-2002, 01:04 PM
I wouldn't worry - I much prefer PayPal and even though their fees are higher if you read the recent Billpoint UK thread you'll know why.

Amazon also lost money since its inception, until this year. Business works that way - I believe the average for profit on a traditional small company is 5 years or so. Larger companies can take even longer as stocks, capital investment, inventory acquisition, etc is all taken into concern. Internet companies are a great new mystery. Don'tcha love economics? (hey, I'm not a business expert)

Tina.

Ginette
03-11-2002, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by CHClements

(this is an aside comment to all of us...let's stick with the facts here on the boards so we don't perpetuate any "rumblings".)
:) carly

I agree!!!
Fact: Never had a problem with PaPal, always able to talk to someome if I have a question, my clients prefer PayPal, I just signed up with PayPal shops.

Ginette

CathyD
03-11-2002, 02:40 PM
Sorry, folks, no rumblings meant.... problems usually start out that way and only wanted to be aware if there was something going on.
Cathy

CarlyHardy
03-11-2002, 11:09 PM
Cathy, didn't want you to think my comment was directed to you...it was just a reminder for all of us. I always want to know all when I hear about something!!
carly

CathyD
03-12-2002, 02:09 AM
Carly you made a good point.... I should have got more from the original source before I mentioned it here. As it turned out it is not anything to worry about. Tina made a very good point about Amazon and that it takes time to turn a profit. I myself have not had a speck of trouble with Paypal and look forward to a long term relationship with them.
Thanks all!

tammy
03-17-2002, 10:06 PM
I've read a few things about this in the various auction newsletters. Sounds as if they are just some growing pains which business just sometimes have to deal with. I still use Paypal and am not worried unless they actually give me something to worry about. :D

hairballsdotcom
03-17-2002, 11:21 PM
Cathy,
After reading this thread the first day you started it, I did some searching on my own. I found various complaints about PayPal, but nothing extreme. HOWEVER, I did see enough to make me think twice about leaving so much in my account. So I immediately went and transfered all but few dollars to my bank account, thinking at least if something did happen -- company wide or just with my account, at least I wouldn't be out 100's of dollars. I think now I will continue to just keep a low balance most of the time and won't have to worry about it.

I also MUCH prefer PayPal to Billpoint. I hate the way Billpoint automatically deposits every little sale into your bank account. Now I have to keep track constantly to make sure it was transfered and then record it in my check book....Anyone have a solution for that?

tammy
03-18-2002, 12:01 AM
Not sure but think it involves something about wheither they are considered a Bank or not. Stuff I don't understand so I won't discuss it.

CathyD
03-18-2002, 12:30 AM
Lori, I always keep a zero balance, transfering funds as soon as they are put in. But then I don't do much shopping on the internet. When I do I just do an electronic check. That way I just have to keep my checkbook up. I am not an accountant, so I try to keep things as simple as possible. I look at Paypal as a transaction center and not a bank. And they do a mighty fine job of it, I might add!
Cathy

Sumafra
03-18-2002, 02:15 AM
I also don't keep any money in there. I have it transferred as soon as it comes in. Rather have it in my bank account than theirs.

hairballsdotcom
03-18-2002, 08:58 PM
I do use my PayPal business account to also purchase various items for the business, thats one of the reasons I was leaving a good chunk in the account. But now I'll just keep it around $100 or so which will cover a single purchase most of the time. And guess I could use the eCheck option too...just never have. I hate having to log in little bits here and there to my check book -- I prefer to do it in larger chunks less often. Each to his own I guess ;)