PDA

View Full Version : Royal Academy Summer Exhibition - waste of time?

Tripod
06-22-2006, 09:36 AM
I visited once on a free ticket night. I was overwhelmed by the amount of work, the vast crowds and also the ridiculous hang. Tiddly works so high up the wall and often behind glass which reflected every light, so you could not see them. I would never go again.

This is all because of a BBC series finishing tonight on this years show. Quite an interesting insight in itself.

I was recently and flatteringly asked by an acquaintance if I had entered any work. It might look good on your CV but I couldn't be pestered with the effort and beaurocracy and rejection, or even the acceptance if my work was near the roof.

Any thoughts?

Europa
06-22-2006, 09:49 AM
I'd enter - I entered the Not the Turner Prize -didn't get anywhere but it was an experience.

As for it being hung high up on a wall - wouldn't bother me - I would just be chuffed that one of my pieces was actually hanging in the Royal Academy (then again I am easily pleased.......lol)

Mind you looking at some of the shortlisted work - I mean - aarrrrrrgh - specially that one Daughter and Son - then again -each to their own.....lol.

Pat

larubia
06-22-2006, 10:07 AM
During the 19 80's I was exhibiting there regularly..it was not a waste of time or effort as I recieved quite a few commissions and art gallery owners also contacted me and the plus of selling my work at the RA...so my own feelings are go for it.
The fun of varnishing day and meeting other artists is a real bonus...agree about some works hung too high and fortunately that never happened to me...been 15 years since i have entered as i didnt paint for all that time...just started to get back into painting for the last 3 years and havent really done anything acceptable to myself yet...when i do shall submit again..it's so exciting especially when more than one gets hung...hopefully next april i will have some decent work....happy painting to all...:thumbsup: