PDA

View Full Version : "At Leo's Restaurant"...a scratchboard

Bertoni
06-21-2006, 11:33 PM
This is a 5 1/2 x 7 scratchboard engraving done some time ago. Am trying now to get back into the groove with this form of art!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jun-2006/28168-kitty_at_Leos0001.jpg

howyadoin
06-22-2006, 03:28 AM
That's got a great feel to it. Looks a bit like folk art, if that makes any sense.

Bertoni
06-22-2006, 04:11 AM
howyadoin:
That makes sense to me since I studied American folk art extensively and have many books on the subject!!! I see where this one has a folk arty feel to it!

Mary Woodul
06-22-2006, 06:28 AM
Enachanting Bertoni! It also reminds me a little of the of one of the French Impressionists.

Bertoni
06-22-2006, 07:31 AM
Thanks M! French Impressionistic! Great comment!!!!!!!!!!WOW!
I did the sketch of this one while sitting with her at the table. Then decided use the sketch in a scratchboard etching.:)

howyadoin
06-22-2006, 08:45 PM
howyadoin:
That makes sense to me since I studied American folk art extensively and have many books on the subject!!! I see where this one has a folk arty feel to it!Cool. Just wanted to make sure you didn't take that as a slam on my part. I don't know much about folk art, but I really like it, too.

Bertoni
06-22-2006, 10:05 PM
...no slam at all!!:) Didn't take it that way!

tanianault
06-23-2006, 12:36 AM
I agree with the French Impressionism comparison - the artist's name has been on the tip of my tongue all day, when, while weeding my front yard - eureka- Henri Toulouse-Lautrec!
Impressionism with a modern twist.

- Tania

Bertoni
06-23-2006, 03:25 AM
Tania:
WOW! I'll have to tell my wife, she married a modern Toulouse! ha, ha! I don't drink Absinthe :D
Thanks! I hope what I'll be scratching these days will stand up to that description.
I try to paint impressionisticly with acrylics, but scratchboard is a whole other thing!!!! Haven't started one yet, still practicing getting used to the tools again! Will be picking up some of that Black Ampersand Clayboard today!!!

Jakeally
06-23-2006, 05:27 AM
Excellent Bertoni:clap: :clap:
I am really looking forward to seeing your new scratchings.

Bertoni
06-23-2006, 07:16 AM
Chris:
Thanks for the comment! I'll be posting the new ones here on the forum! Have 3 subjects I'm mulling over to see which one I want to start first.

Sonia
06-23-2006, 05:15 PM
I really like this - will have to keep an eye out for your next postings.

Bertoni
06-23-2006, 05:22 PM
Sonia:
I hope to be posting more of these in the next week or two! Thanks for looking in!

Mary Woodul
06-23-2006, 09:09 PM
Bertoni, I sure will be looking forward to those next posts.

Tania, it was Lautrec it was thinking of. The ambience of it and as you say the modern twist.

Bertoni
06-24-2006, 01:07 AM
Mary:
...and I'll look forward to posting them!!

lisilk
06-24-2006, 03:48 AM
Bertoni

Definite Impressionist and folk art feel. Very similar styles as most of both genres were self taught. You've set a wonderful mood and character here. I like this style from you very much.

I am working on my first scratchboard right now and it is very easy to get lost. Glad to see that you did not. Fine work!:clap:

Li

Bertoni
06-24-2006, 05:34 AM
Hi Li:
Would love to see the scratchboard you're working on!!! The ones I'm showing here were done quite a few years ago. Am just starting up with them again. Have 3 in the planning stage and am in the midst of replenishing supplies and getting used to the tools and different style boards!!!
Have no idea what my new ones will look like. Folk art, impressionist or both. I'd settle for any of those or a combination!! LOL:)

tanianault
06-25-2006, 01:21 AM
Tania, it was Lautrec it was thinking of. The ambience of it and as you say the modern twist.

Not that it should matter -but it does :-) I'm glad to hear it - at times one says these things and then wonders in the dark if anyone else sees the same things...
- Tania