PDA

View Full Version : film processing systems

Moody_Fingers
06-20-2006, 02:47 AM
hi all,
I am currently seeking information on the different systems available for film processing eg roll film processing bW processing ect. and need any info anyone can help me with in regards to equipment needed as well as some manufacturers I might be able to research. as Im sure u guys know there isnt much in the was of film processing equipment in the current photography magazines and was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction.

thanks
Moody Fingers

Manstein
06-20-2006, 05:27 AM
Head towards a library.

Windy
06-20-2006, 06:04 AM
Or your local Technical College.

sandge
06-20-2006, 08:34 AM
Try asking here:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/ishootfilm/discuss/

:)

damar
06-20-2006, 08:42 AM
Try Google!

tomreese
06-20-2006, 09:48 AM
I am currently seeking information on the different systems available for film processing eg roll film processing bW processing ect.

I don't know how much you already know. These are the current processes that I know of:

B&W negative - there are various developers, papers etc available. They can easily be done at home.

color negative C-41 this is the standard color negative process. It's temperature sensitive and a bit touchy but it can be done at home with effort.

Color positive E-6 is the standard slide film processing. It's also temperature sensitive but can be done at home.

Kodachrome - The materials may be scarce. It's not an environmentally friendly process. The film is scarce as well.

Ilfochrome (formerly Cibachrome) this is a print from slide process. I don't know how difficult it is to get the materials today.

I don't know of any others. I hope this helps a little.

Rich
06-20-2006, 10:11 AM
Post will be moved to the technical area of the forum.

manyhats
06-20-2006, 11:56 AM
hi all,
I am currently seeking information on the different systems available for film processing eg roll film processing bW processing ect. and need any info anyone can help me with in regards to equipment needed as well as some manufacturers I might be able to research. as Im sure u guys know there isnt much in the was of film processing equipment in the current photography magazines and was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction.

thanks
Moody Fingers

If you are wanting to set up your own darkroom, here are my experiences.

I first started out about 15 years doing only BW film processing and developing. I didn't get to do it too long, but long enough to set up a darkroom and enjoy it extremely.
I had a BOGEN enlarger, used AGFA, ILFORD and KODAK papers, I forget what the chemicals were, Kodak I believe?
The whole set up I bought as a starter kit was around $200 US. (15 years ago) I looked for Bogen online, but didn't find their enlarging equipment section, they may not even make them anymore?? That would be a shame, but did find many links to forums/ discussions/ reviews discussing B/W. Try Googling BOGEN and also look on EBay for the equipment once you have researched everything.
Hope this helps.
Have been thinking about doing film again myself, B/W only, keep us posted on what you find out.
Michael

Moody_Fingers
06-20-2006, 01:17 PM
Thanks everyone for your help, Ive certainly got a few new leads to chasw.. Ill keep everyone posted

cheers
Moody Fingers

Manstein
06-20-2006, 05:49 PM
I spent 12 years in a wet darkroom believe me your better bashing a PC!

Oldthumbs
06-21-2006, 12:40 AM
It's harder and harder to find the supplies needed for darkroom work. I used to get all my supplies at my local Wolf Camera store (though I think it had a different name back then - Lion Photo, maybe? - whatever :rolleyes: ) but they have only a tiny, tiny little corner with B&W paper and chemicals, and not even a full set of chemicals at that. I'm sure that by the end of this year they will have no darkroom stuff at all. I think that anyone wanting to do darkroom work will have to use mail order for supplies and equipment.

I suspect that contacting a local camera club might get you someone who is dumping all their darkroom stuff and going to digital. It would be a way to get a complete set-up at a reasonable price.

While the lure of the darkroom held me many, many years ago, there is no way that you would find me in there again. I can now work on my photos with the lights on. :D

Whatever your motivation, good luck finding what you need.

Ray

Rich
06-21-2006, 10:00 AM
While the lure of the darkroom held me many, many years ago, there is no way that you would find me in there again. I can now work on my photos with the lights on. :D

Ray Ain't that the truth! I spent many of years in the dark, doing B&W, C-41 and E-6. It was a VERY enjoyable experience but I wouldn't give up my digital camera and photoshop software for anything! That coming from the mouth of a guy who said digital will NEVER be equal to or better than film!:rolleyes:

We have a photo finishing one hour photo place in town I used to work part time for in the summers. His supplier is not going to handle paper and chemistry anymore. Sign of the times I guess.

Moody_Fingers
06-21-2006, 05:45 PM
Thanx again for the input, I really appreciate it.
I do use a digital and love photoshop! That unfortunatley is why I'm finding it hard to find out 'old school' information. As even the magazines focus on digital. However, there has been some very helpful comments this link from Sandge http://www.flickr.com/groups/ishootfilm/discuss/
I have found to be fantastic! And also the response from tomreese, perfect, thank you. I have sat for HOURS on my Pc trying to find out the correct information and seem to be chasing my tail.
I do appreciate everyone's help! :D