PDA

View Full Version : Considering Tamron 28-300 DI Lens, need input

billw
06-19-2006, 09:15 AM
Howdy folks,

Been busy dealing with med issues lately so haven't posted been lurking though. I am considering getting a Tamron 28-300 DI lens for my Canon Elan II with the idea that I can use it later when I upgrade to a Digi SLR.

Am wondering how good they are, seems to be little objective info/reviews available.

Has anyone had any experience with this lens?

Would apreciate good bad and ugly info.

Thanks

Kevin M
06-19-2006, 06:04 PM
Hi Bill,

28 to 300 is an extreme range of zoom. Whilst, in theory, it is nice to have one lens for all eventualities - it invariably involves some compromise in optical quality and speed.
A much better zoom by far (optically) is the Tamron 28-75 Di f2.8 which is about the same price. I would consider carefully how important being able to zoom as far as 300 is - and even if it is, I would still consider buying a separate tele lens rather than relying on one size fits all.

Kevin

billw
06-26-2006, 06:43 AM
Thank you for Input. Will keep suggestions in mind.

Checked out your gallery site, wonderful paintings and outstanding photos.

Being a newbie to painting and photography I wish there were accomplished people locally to tutor me, but will keep slogging away. (that's the fun of it eh?)

Hi Bill,

28 to 300 is an extreme range of zoom. Whilst, in theory, it is nice to have one lens for all eventualities - it invariably involves some compromise in optical quality and speed.
A much better zoom by far (optically) is the Tamron 28-75 Di f2.8 which is about the same price. I would consider carefully how important being able to zoom as far as 300 is - and even if it is, I would still consider buying a separate tele lens rather than relying on one size fits all.

Kevin