PDA

View Full Version : Lens Questions and advice needed...

pinkbubelz
06-19-2006, 02:22 AM
Hi All,

It's been a while since I've posted on Wetcanvas! A promotion at my job in February left me with little time to be creative... But I'm off for the summer now....

Here's a question. I accidentally dropped one of my zoom lenses and because it had a plastic mount, it broke (at the mount). Would it be a good idea to get it repaired, or should I just get a new one? Is it even worth the cost of getting it repaired?

It was a Sigma 28-80mm DHF (3.5-22) lens.... It appears, that just 1/3 of the mounting ring broke off, but enough that the lens won't seat properly. I've been trying to fudge it, but I am finally giving up.... I was trying to balance the camera on a small ledge for a self-portrait and it dropped about 2 feet to the ground.... I know, I know... BAD thing to do....lesson learned the hard way--next time I'll make sure I have a tripod.

I currently have a 1:1.8/55 mm lens (Nikon) and a
Sigma 1:2.8/70-200mm lens (I love this lens and bought it for taking photos at rock concerts, when it's really dark inside--I love the DOF I can get with it)

One thing... I'm not as knowledgable about lenses as I'd like to be.... I am wondering if would be better to replace my 28-80mm lens with one that can zoom even further (and is still compact) or should I just get another 28-80 mm lens if I don't get it repaired? Are there other lenses that would be similarly compact, but maybe a little faster? I travel and like to hike with my hubby quite a bit and carrying around the 70-200mm lens means a lot of extra weight. (I carry it myself, since I'm the one who is taking the photos, I think it's not fair to him!) Normally, I'd have the 28-80 lens on the camera and then bring out the big 70-200 when I really want to get some cool shots of wildlife from afar.... However, I'm thinking that perhaps, if I could get away with a lighter weight lens without also breaking the bank, I could be able to take more photos and save myself the extra poundage on overnight hikes....

Help!!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! :-)

pinkbubelz
06-19-2006, 02:28 AM
Oh, I forgot!
I have a Nikon D100 (which is what I use mostly these days) AND a Nikon N80... ;-) (It's taken a huge backseat to the D100!)

pinkbubelz
06-19-2006, 12:01 PM
Hm... Am I posting this question in the right forum? I noticed that there was a post about an equipment forum, but I'm having a hard time finding where the link is....

xtx
06-19-2006, 12:53 PM
Hi

I use a D100 for most of my work and know some others with the same. I have 18-35 90macro 80-200 35-80 all F2.8 I also have a 2x converter. I fell that the very long zoom lenses eg 28-400 are very heavy and do not have a small enough apeture so often a tripod in needed and a big one at that!!!!!Handheld I have not seen a really got crisp shot with one of these. I am afraid you get what you pay for especially with lenses and although VR etc are good they are also expensive This probably doesnt help much but I will be sticking with the lenses I have and just suffer the extra weight or get used to using the bigger zoom only
Rob

Rich
06-19-2006, 02:04 PM
The Equipment forum is called the Photography forum. Just click on Photography and you will be there.

I will move this thread to the Photography forum.

pinkbubelz
06-20-2006, 03:10 AM
Thanks Rich-- I haven't been on in so long that things have changed around a bit!

XTX-- I've seen some smaller lenses that seem to go to a higher zoom-- are these the ones you are talking about (not being as good quality?)

My big lens is incredibly heavy, but the pictures are pretty nice-- especially when I'm in a dark nightclub with minimal light.

I'm looking for recommendations for a lighter lens I might use when hiking...I'm not familiar with 2x converter... I'm not much of a techie when it comes to the equipment-- most of what I've learned has been through trial and error... I think I have a converter from a different Nikon, but i think it's manual and I'm not sure that it will even work with my digital... (It came from a camera I "inherited' and I've never tried to use it, since it didn't appear to work with my Nikon D100....

Still learning as I go along, so any help is greatly appreciated...

pinkbubelz
06-25-2006, 12:03 AM
bumping up to see if anyone else can give me some feedback... :-D

meriadoc
06-25-2006, 12:44 AM
if you want a replacement to your sigma 28-80 - check out the tamron 28-75 2.8 lens

pinkbubelz
07-10-2006, 03:54 PM
HI Meriadoc,
Do you have one of the Tamron lenses? What do you like/dislike about it?

I had a Sigma lens before-- how does it compare?

Thanks!

meriadoc
07-22-2006, 12:12 AM
its a good lens. I know a few photographers that have bought it over the 1500 canon equivalent.

A little slower to autofocus, but you can't have everything in a $400 package as opposed to a $1500 lens

(sorry for the late reply, lol)