PDA

View Full Version : quarter horse

She-She
06-18-2006, 11:33 PM
Hi everyone.:wave: It's been ages since I posted anything, but I have been peeking in every now & then.

Here is a piece I've been working on since last summer. I've been so busy working that I don't get much time to work on it. I haven't touched it in 5 months, so I figured if I at least post it, maybe that will get me motivated to finish it by this summer... lol.

I'm using a micron (01) pen.
Size 13" X 17" but could be cropped just a bit when finished
Ref image by Brenda B in the library
Not sure of the paper, just had some stuff I wanted to use up, but it is acid free.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jun-2006/12788-ink_work01.jpg

A couple of close ups
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jun-2006/12788-ink_work02.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jun-2006/12788-ink_work03.jpg

viking57
06-18-2006, 11:52 PM
Hi Sheila,
Hey, this is absolutely wonderful! So far you have done some great work on this horse and looks to be a total winner when you finish! Very nice work! You have done a great job on the mane and forelock which are always the hardest parts for me. Excellent!!
Ron

She-She
06-19-2006, 12:42 AM
You have done a great job on the mane and forelock which are always the hardest parts for me. Excellent!!
Ron

Thanks Ron. The mane is the hard part for me too. At least it's been a challenge so far.

mmoncur
06-19-2006, 02:08 AM
Very good stippling. Shows what a $3.00 Micron pen and some discipline can accomplish...

valchina612
06-19-2006, 04:17 AM
Hi Sheila,

This is super work. Your stippling is great and like Ron, I love the way you have done the mane and forelock. I am looking so forward to your next update. :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

MonicaB
06-19-2006, 08:51 AM
:clap: Go, Sheila, go! :clap: It's looking great so far.

Jakeally
06-19-2006, 09:50 AM
Looking fantastic Sheila:clap: :clap:

She-She
06-19-2006, 10:32 AM
Michael, uh, here I pay 4.50. There is a Canadian site that I will be ordering from soon. A lot cheeper. :thumbsup:

Val, Thanks. I'm half way done the mane, so I can't quit now...lol

Monica, there you are cheering me on. :D A kick start would help too.... :lol:

Chris, thanks.

sassybird
06-19-2006, 11:47 AM
Shelia, I just finished a piece that I started over a year ago about 2 months ago, so don't feel bad about taking so long to finish your piece. Sometimes life has other things in store for us. You have done a fantastic job so far, and like the others I love the forelock and the mane. Please post your progress pics for us.

RWSewell
06-19-2006, 05:14 PM
Sheila, what a wonderful rendering and so worth finishing. Besides, you got a lot of people enticed by this beauty and we want to see more.

Cheering you on to your next update... :clap: Rob

muesart
06-19-2006, 06:03 PM
Sheila, Your quarter horse piece is looking great- stippling requires so much patience!

The only other feedback I would offer is to try a lighter colored paper (I'm not sure how closely the paper color in the above images matches your actual piece); I think it would make your work stand out so much more. This medium and your work deserves to be seen at its best

objectivistartist
06-20-2006, 07:01 PM
$4.50??!!! WOW - I get them for half that at the AOE store over in Temple Terrace..... Robert

CPM
06-21-2006, 09:29 AM
Shiela, This is going to be great. I love the way you've rendered the hair. I also like the perspective of the picture. I can't wait to see more of this one! - Chris

Vegas Art Guy
06-23-2006, 03:41 PM
great job with the stippling. I think dickblick.com had those pens for about $2.75 each...

She-She
10-10-2006, 03:57 AM
Oh my gosh, here it is Oct.already. Where has the time gone. I have only recently got back to working on this.

This is the overall view of what I have done so far. I know I will have to darken the horse a bit to bring out the highlights a little more.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Oct-2006/12788-artwork007.jpg

Tim, I am using white paper, but the idea of off white paper seems like a good idea for other work I want to do in this medium

valchina612
10-11-2006, 11:31 PM
Sheila, this is coming along great. I love to watch WIPs like this one. :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

MonicaB
10-12-2006, 09:19 AM
Lookin' good!

She-She
10-13-2006, 09:29 AM
Thanks Val & Monica.
I'm going to have to put this on hold again for a bit due to a commission piece to be done before Christmas. I just wanted to show you all that I'm still working on this.

HappyAppy
10-13-2006, 02:51 PM
Sheila,
Hi, I'm new here - another "stable person"! Horses and dogs are my favorite subjects. Love this one! The muscle and detail are great! Can't wait to see the finished piece!
HappyAppy

Vegas Art Guy
10-13-2006, 07:06 PM
Wow, love the progress. The other thing you could try is to run a wet tea bag across your paper and let it dry. That way you would get a nice warm tone and still have a smooth surface to draw on. Just a thought since most of the colored paper I seem to find is fairly textured and not great for stippling.

signman drew
10-14-2006, 11:18 AM
Shiela, This is lookin really good, Ill be waiting for the finish, but take your time:wave: Drew

sassybird
10-14-2006, 11:22 AM
Shelia, I guess posting really spurred you on:D This is looking great.

brushandknife
10-14-2006, 11:40 AM
Wow, I love the whole thing, but especially the "muscling". Excellent job. 2 thumbs up. :-)
Carol

She-She
10-15-2006, 10:28 PM
Wow!! Thank you all for stopping in & commenting. :D

Happyappy, always happy to have another "stable-mate".

Vegas Art Guy, thanks for the tip on the tea bag thing. So many tips, I'm going to have to start keeping better records. ;) My little head isn't big enough to hold it all. :p

Drew, keep holding on, don't let go, I will be back..... :)

Sassy, yes, I'm really itching to keep this going (go easy on the spurs :p ), but that commission is tuggin' at me too.

Carol, I love to bring out the muscules in my horse art. I own quarter horses so it's what I know & look for. I'm a sucker for detail anyway.... :p

mel-ink
10-17-2006, 11:38 PM
Beautiful job, Sheila!! It's going to be wonderfuL!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

DBSullivan
10-18-2006, 02:29 PM
This is really looking good! ...thanks for the close-ups! And don't feel bad about putting this aside. I've been doing the same thing with my little dino drawing.. taking forever! lol Sometimes patience can be our best friend. Get this done in your own sweet time.. we'll be here waiting..... patiently! :D