PDA

View Full Version : "DAd Fishing"...scratchboard drawing

Bertoni
06-18-2006, 07:08 PM
This is a 4" x 5 1/2" scratchboard drawing. Getting ready to do a few more.
The idea for this one came from an photo I have. C&C
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jun-2006/28168-dad_fishing0001.jpg

Mary Woodul
06-18-2006, 07:32 PM
A perfect piece for this day, and again another very expressive one.

idylbrush
06-18-2006, 08:08 PM
I have to tell you. If I could do this kind of work on scratchboard I would consider doing it all the time. I find them to be charming and a delight to look at. Salability, who knows for sure.

I could see some of these as a series of greeting cards which might be a way to approach them. they have a certain way of touching the soul. That's a big deal.

madster
06-18-2006, 08:30 PM
Charming is exactly the word that came to my mind upon seeing this. The facial expression is exquisite.

~M

Bertoni
06-18-2006, 08:47 PM
Appreciate the positive comments Mary and M!!
Howard:
Didn't really think of sales with these scratchboard drawings. I guess I'll frame and mat them under glass.
Your thought of a series of greeting cards sounds really good!!!

Obedec
06-20-2006, 09:59 PM
I love it and agree with the above. Why not try making a few cards...I know a good and reasonable printer who knows scratchboard.
Karen

Bertoni
06-21-2006, 09:26 AM
Karen:
This one was done some years ago. I'm just getting back to doing more scratchboard, so need some practice using the tools before I think seriously about doing cards. It's an excellent idea though!!!

mhimeswc
06-21-2006, 11:04 AM
I like this a lot!

I've never tried scratchboard. It looks difficult. Do you just "wing" it, or is there some way to transfer a pencil drawing to it before you start scratching out?

Michelle

Bertoni
06-21-2006, 04:34 PM
Michele:
I transfer the drawing first to the scratchboard using a Saral (yellow) transfer sheet.

tanianault
06-21-2006, 09:03 PM
Hi Bertoni:
I love the wood-cut print look of this scratchboard. I agree wholeheartedly with the others - this would make a great card! I think this could be very popular - think giftshops near woodsey parks. Seriously.

- Tania

Bertoni
06-21-2006, 09:46 PM
Tanya:
You are the first scratchboard engraving artist I've come across! AND I think your work is stellar!!!!:thumbsup: (Saw your website). :clap:
I am just getting back to scratchboard after quite a few years. Had done some when I was Creative Director of a regional magazine and a few of them as Art Director on advertising for a bank. I usually paint in acrylics, but am getting all my scratchboard tools together now. practicing, getting used to them again. Have to try the black Clayboard that you use. Used to use the Canson Grattage board, but can't seem to find it anymore. As I start doing new ones, will think about cards!!!

tanianault
06-22-2006, 06:01 PM
Tanya:
You are the first scratchboard engraving artist I've come across! AND I think your work is stellar!!!!

Thanks, way to make a girl blush :o
The scratchboard I use is Ampersand's Clayboard Black. It's lovely to work with, like skating on butter! http://www.ampersandart.com/
They have a "Where to Buy" section on their website, I'm sure you can find a supplier either near or who will ship to you.

There are several other scratchboarders on WC! I think it's just because we're spread out across the various forums that we're hard to find. "Obedec" (Karen) and "myorca" (Bob) are two I know. They have wonderful work - Karen is very expressive with her line and colour (she posted a reply to this thread - her avatar is a board she did of an English Setter) and Bob's work is wonderful, very sculptural, with a subtle hand and a great sense of light.

I'm not exactly sure how new forums are added, and I know there aren't very many of us, but maybe if we all got together and asked nicely ;) WC! would add a Scratchboard forum?

- Tania

Bertoni
06-22-2006, 06:35 PM
Hi Tania:
Found a source today who carries Clayboard Black and will drive over there tomorrow and get myself a bunch!!
It would be great to have our own forum, but since there are so few Scratchboarders on WC, it might be tough. We'll probably have to stick to
this Mixed Media Forum. What we should do is keep posting our work here. I know the C&Cs are of help to me especially since I'm getting back to scratchboard after quite a few years! Just ordered 2 more books on the subject, so I'll have around 6 to check into!!!

tanianault
06-23-2006, 12:26 AM
You're probably right about the forum thing - but a girl can dream, can't she?

- Tania

Bertoni
06-23-2006, 01:33 PM
Tania:
Yeah, too bad, it would have been nice to have a Scratchsite!!

Sonia
06-23-2006, 05:18 PM
Another good one Bertoni - you've definitely got a flair for this kind of work.

Bertoni
06-23-2006, 05:21 PM
Sonia:
Thanks much for the positive comment!!!!:)

lisilk
06-24-2006, 03:51 AM
Terrific Bertoni~ looks like an old etching with great texture, light and character. This medium suits you well (tho we do miss you in the WDE's.) Good to see you using your time to produce these great scratches!

Li

Bertoni
06-24-2006, 05:29 AM
Thanks Li...I forgot about the WDEs, been busy with acrylics and now these scratches once again! Am trying it again after quite a few years!!
Will have to get back to the WDE!!!