PDA

View Full Version : The fishing Village of Şile on the Black Sea

vasilkadifeli
06-18-2006, 04:47 AM
Hi all :wave:, beautiful sunny but not so hot Sunday in this part of the world...

in one of my posts some 10 days ago I said that I am going to a nearby fishermen's village during the weekends and holidays in summer, and a few of you asked for some photos... it is Sunday morning so I will post some photos here in the wash... will attach the photos so you will not have problems of opening the thread... and if you want you can click on them to enlarge for some details... I plan to post them over five posts with five photos attached in each...

so here I go:

the village I am going is called "Sile"... it is on the Black Sea coast of Istanbul and is 55 km from the place I live, slightly more than an hour of driving... there are fine beaches though very crowded on weekends... following is a photo of one of the beaches, to the left of Sile... this beach starts right from the point I have my summer house... it is flat on an apartment and you can see it below... it is at the leftmost white large block in the photo...

the village is high on a hill and the beaches are below... there are many hotels and pensions for those who want to stay... as the village is high there are funny terraces in cafés and restaurants as you can see below... you have to be brave enough to sit in one of those beaches... as the waiter walks you feel the terrace shaking... but the view is great from those teracces... I tried to take a photo of a coffee shop...

vasilkadifeli
06-18-2006, 04:52 AM
(post 2)
there are plenty of fish restaurants in the village as well as at the port area right on the water front... you can find both expensive and cheap restaurants... here you can see one on restaurant with a platform on the water... and also a cheap restaurant built on top of some old boat :)...

I attached also two photos of the port with the fishermen's boats...

vasilkadifeli
06-18-2006, 05:00 AM
(post 3)
here is a fishermen's café where you can go and rest...

the breakwater is place where people go to walk and do some jogging... here is a photo of the paintings on the inner side of the breakwater, and a photo of the other side towards the open sea... in the 4 th photo you can see the waves crashing at the end of the breakwater where there is a small lighthouse...

finally I attached a photo of the pedestrian street going down to the port area...

vasilkadifeli
06-18-2006, 05:12 AM
(post 4)
there are funny rock formations around the coast at Sile, probably the work of waves during the past centuries... one of the most well known lighthouses of Turkey is also at Sile... there is a wonderful small bay right below the lighthouse... there is a restaurant at the park around the lighthouse were usually at spring time you can watch plenty of dolphins passing by...

Sile is know for a very thin cloth named after the name of the willage... I personally don't like it as it gets wonky once you wash it, but it is seems people and especially women like to wear cloths done with it... this cloth was produced in the small villages around Sile but nowadays it is produced at Istanbul in big factories... nevertheless the looms in the villages have closed... I attach a few photos related to this... a few of Malty's ladies :D exhibiting their work in open air... finally a table cloth made of Sile cloth...

vasilkadifeli
06-18-2006, 05:16 AM
(post 5)

I attach three more photos about Sile-cloth fashion :)..

and two photos of some alleys going down from the upper part of the village towards the coast..

vasilkadifeli
06-18-2006, 05:21 AM
(post 6 - final)

four more photos of the main market street... the third one is an old fashioned bread bakery...

Sile is a place were you can watch some of the most beautiful sun sets in Istanbul, either from those terraces or the brakewave... here is a photo of a sun set I once took...

thanks for your patience ;)

Yorky
06-18-2006, 05:34 AM
Please note I moved these wonderful photos to their own thread from the Daily Wash.

Doug

madmum
06-18-2006, 05:47 AM
Thanks for sharing these, Vasil, it looks a great place to have a holiday home, so many painting opportunities! :D

Ruth

vasilkadifeli
06-18-2006, 05:49 AM
many thanks Doug, thanks Ruth...
I've just added an old sun set photo...

Yorky
06-18-2006, 05:57 AM
No problem Vasil - if you take more photos in Sile, you can add them to this thread.

Doug

vasilkadifeli
06-18-2006, 06:30 AM
yes Doug, now it is a thread in its own I can add some more :D

here is a sattelite image of Sile from Google Earth :

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jun-2006/32140-Sile_sattelite_view.jpg

I am attaching some more fishing boats too...

vasilkadifeli
06-18-2006, 06:39 AM
and this is a final post with :

a view from a public park/garden
a restaurant on the sea on some rock just at the shore
a view from the market street
an old fountain with Arabic inscription on the market street
a photo from an old house

Laurie2
06-18-2006, 06:40 AM
Wonderful photographs Vasil...You must have read my mind...I was thinking boats today :)

jaydiva
06-18-2006, 06:53 AM
Vasil, these are wonderful photos!!!
Thanks for sharing them with us

ntali
06-18-2006, 08:24 AM
Nice photos of Sile Vasil,thanks.We once bought a land in Sile with the intention to build a small house after the big Marmara earthquake in 1999,not realized and sold eventually.

ameliajordan
06-18-2006, 11:07 AM
Vasil, thanks for taking us on a trip to your holiday site!!!!!!

JustjoGA
06-18-2006, 11:10 AM
Vasil, this is a really wonderful collection
of photos from your weekend getaway place...
I'd bet JJ will love and want to paint the
boat out alone on the water!

Good work, you must have a great camera! :clap:

JustJo

Strawberry Wine
06-18-2006, 11:44 AM
Beautiful Photographs Vasil All these years I thought the Black Sea was very dark waters .... well kind of Black :)

Thanks for sharing

Cheers

Gail

Europa
06-18-2006, 08:38 PM
Great photos Vasil - thank you for sharing.

Pat

laudesan
06-18-2006, 10:12 PM
Vasik these are great.:clap:

Love the fishing boats more if you have them please..:D

JJ

painterbear
06-18-2006, 10:46 PM
Vasil,
What a lovely vacation getaway. I'm glad you have such a nice place to go on the weekends.

Thanks for sharing your terrific photos.

Sylvia

nes7827
06-18-2006, 11:28 PM
Great pics Vasil! My wife and daughter are spending the summer there in Odessa, wish I could join them...your photos make me feel a little closer. :wave:

NorahT
06-19-2006, 11:16 AM
Wonderful photos Vasil - I enjoyed the trip! The clothing in sile cloth looks as though it would be nice and cool to wear :)

hydgirl
06-19-2006, 10:27 PM
Beautiful pictures Vasil. Sunny and bright. Very interesting rock formations in the second set of photos. Also the attire and clothes gives us a glimpse of Turkish culture.