PDA

View Full Version : USA school or not?

titzuche
06-17-2006, 04:53 AM
I am accepted by Maryland Institute Collge of Arts (MICA), a top 5 art school in USA, for a master degree of digital arts. However, i have lived in Vancouver for 9 years and do love here. I have a good job here as a web designer. I am hesitate to go back to school or not. What i worry is if i can get a better job after my school. I do love to learn from that school, but is it worth to invest a year time and a huge money? Anybody any advice? As a web designer, is higher education required or a benefit?

Taxguy
06-19-2006, 07:24 PM
If you have a good job that you like, stay there. Take courses in Vancouver.

Keith Russell
06-23-2006, 10:57 AM
I'm going to be a seniour this fall at the Kansas City Art Institute, majoring in painting. I intend to go to grad school for an MFA, so I've been doing quite a bit of research about grad school. From what I have learned so far, a Master's Degree in Fine Arts does two things. First, the MFA is essential if you have any desire to teach art at the college level. Second, the MFA provides you with more time to develop your work under the guidance of professors in a professional setting, and it gives you the chance to make professional contacts; gallery owners, critics, curators, other working artists, etc.

Since I'm not in your exact field, I can't say for certain that a Master's Degree in your field won't get you a better job--again, unless you plan to teach at the college level--but it seems to me that it probably won't.

Did you apply to this school? (If so, there must be something you feel you're missing...)

Keith.