PDA

View Full Version : Requesting advice on pastel video.

K Taylor-Green
06-17-2006, 12:55 AM
Hi gang. I need a little info. My two painting buddies and I want to start a dvd collection. We all three work in different mediums and we take turns in choosing a dvd to build our library. My turn is next and I want a really good dvd on pastel landscape techniques. It can be a tape, but dvds are nicer.
What do you all reccommend?

khourianya
06-17-2006, 01:05 AM
I really like the Greg Biolchini Plein Air video. It is very inspirational and gives alot of great techniques for working outside.

K Taylor-Green
06-17-2006, 08:45 AM
Cori, Will it help with studio artists? None of us work plein air.

Bringer
06-17-2006, 10:16 AM
Hi Kate,

Have you thought about the theme ?
Landscapes....portraits.... ?
Besides the prices can range from 20 or 30 bucks to something like 100.
It would be probably useful if you tell us the price range you people are into.
Anyway, let me give you a link. I guess it's an english site, but maybe you can find their videos there.
I don't have any pastel videos but these have a good price.
At least in terms of absolute price. In terms of price/quality, I don't know.

http://www.apvfilms.com/show_media.asp?criteria=Pastels

Best regards,

Josť

khourianya
06-17-2006, 10:33 AM
I think that yes - it would hep with studio artists. He gives some neat technique instruction and concentrates on "seeing" so it would work for painting from life as well as landscapes.

Bringer
06-17-2006, 10:47 AM
Hi again,

Now I've read that you mentioned landscapes....

Regards,

Josť

KA Obee
06-17-2006, 12:19 PM
Another kudo from me for Greg B's video. Very informative. Also, and I think this is a big plus, it is very reasonably priced.
KA

MChesleyJohnson
06-18-2006, 09:24 AM
My personal favorites - Bob Rohm, Ann Templeton and Albert Handell. Each of these has a pastel STUDIO landscape DVD available from Artist Productions http://www.artistproductions.net/. Doug Dawson also has one through them, but I haven't personally seen it, so can't vouch for it. However, the quality (I'm sure) is up to the standards of the others. Bob and his son David produce the tapes. Bob, before he became a painter, was a professional videographer and producer. Well worth the price!

I must add that Bob is a real technician -- he gives you LOTs of technical advice in his videos.

K Taylor-Green
06-18-2006, 09:45 AM
Well good, I have choices! Thanks so much for the response!

chewie
06-18-2006, 09:54 PM
hmm, wasn't looking, but now prolly buying!! that one by bob rohm does look fun.

i have the greg b. plein air dvd, and i also think studio painters could learn from it. its not very expensive, and i am happy i have it.

another one to try would be our own donna alridges' dvd's. she has a set of 3, but i found the #3 in the set is my favorite. somehow, that one finally got me to 'get' stuff i've been missing. they are well worth the cash, and i wont' even loan mine out!!

Bringer
06-18-2006, 10:31 PM
hmm, wasn't looking, but now prolly buying!! that one by bob rohm does look fun.

i have the greg b. plein air dvd, and i also think studio painters could learn from it. its not very expensive, and i am happy i have it.

another one to try would be our own donna alridges' dvd's. she has a set of 3, but i found the #3 in the set is my favorite. somehow, that one finally got me to 'get' stuff i've been missing. they are well worth the cash, and i wont' even loan mine out!!

What about giving them out ? Would you give them out ?:rolleyes:
And I don't want you to worry about the postage price, I'll pay it myself.:D

Regards,

Josť

P.S. I'll rent them to you if you need them later.....

K Taylor-Green
06-18-2006, 10:45 PM
Chewie, are there a lot of landscape stuff on Donna's videos?

sundiver
06-19-2006, 07:34 AM
I have Bob Rohm's, and Jackie Simmonds', and like them both.Jackie's is sort of a mid-range streetscape.

Kathryn Wilson
06-19-2006, 08:03 AM
I can highly recommend Bob Rohm's DVD and Albert Handell's DVD - I have Bob's if you want to review.

K Taylor-Green
06-20-2006, 01:10 PM
Bob's is sounding really good. I'd LOVE to review it. Thanks!!

fio44
06-20-2006, 03:20 PM
Good Day All,

You can obtain Greg's DVD at http://www.biolchini.com/products.html with free shipping too!

Potoma
06-24-2006, 12:26 PM
Anything by Margaret Evans is superior. Her demonstrations make everything look simple. I have several of hers. This is good: EXPLORING PASTEL PENCILS Video by Margaret Evans.

These sound like what you're interested in, but I haven't seen them:
DISCOVERING LANDSCAPES IN PASTEL Video by Margaret Evans
LANDSCAPE COURSE PART 1 Video by Margaret Evans
LANDSCAPE COURSE PART 2 Video by Margaret Evans

She is an excellent teacher. I'd love to go to one of her workshops. She works in and out of the studio.

Another great set of videos is by Barry Watkin. Here's a link (http://www.apvfilms.com/show_media.asp?criteria=Pastels) to a British distributor. On his, he does both in and out of studio work, but most is out. He's one artist who can perform a single sweep to carry and perfectly lay down a dozen colors. Very talented.

Albert Handel's at Cedar Grove is good, but it only does one project, quite slowly, vs. the others tackling several on each tape. He works from a couple photos combined.

Look to the Dakota Arts (http://www.dakotapastels.com/dakota2005/booksvid_videos.shtml)video section, too, for many of these. I get all my videos and DVDs like this on ebay for relatively cheap.

For the record, I have this one and didn't think much of it: PAINTING WITH PASTEL Video by Greg Biolchini. I haven't seen his plein air one.

Orchidacea
06-24-2006, 12:56 PM
I'm adding this thread to my favorites!

K Taylor-Green
06-25-2006, 10:24 PM
Thanks Patoma for this information. I will check out Margaret's vidios!

Potoma
06-26-2006, 12:21 AM
I forgot to say about the Barry Watkin videos - I let my pastels teacher borrow videos to show our class. She previewed the first one at home. She loved it, then the class loved it, and when I later brought in #2 and #3, she didn't even bother to preview them at home, knowing how good they would be. As a result, she bought at least one as a class copy and other classmates spoke of buying them for home. Everyone was captivated.

This teacher is where I was turned on to Margaret Evans. Margaret's floral video is both inside and out of the studio. Her speed, expertise, and confidence are mindboggling. I also have her one about painting from photographs, but it is for watercolor. She is definitely multi-media.

I especially like all these videos because they do 4-5 projects on each. You can get a lot out of each of them, but they move quickly enough to keep your attention.

Kathryn Wilson
07-13-2006, 07:42 PM
I've heard alot about Richard Schmid's DVD's - although he is an oil painter, I wonder if his DVD's would be of value to a pastel painter. Has anyone reviewed these DVD's?

Kate, if your other buds paint in oils, I'll bet they've heard of these.

Bringer
07-13-2006, 08:54 PM
Hi,

Richard Schmid is well known for his book Alla Prima, which for many people is considered the best book about oil painting.
One can get a paperback version on his site.
Older versions with hardcover are quite expensive.
I find that after one knows how to handle a medium in a satisfactory way, what one wants in a video is not so much what medium is it about but more how to make a painting work.

Best regards,

Josť

K Taylor-Green
07-14-2006, 11:40 PM
Kat, right now I have my buds painting in pastels!! The workshop I gave really got them all fired up! I'll have lots of serious competition for next year's Guild show.