PDA

View Full Version : FND 3/8 Little angels

BlackTigr
03-08-2002, 10:20 PM
I did two failed drawings before coming up with this one that there was no way I could finish in time. Still, I like this composition a lot better than the other two I was working on.

The lighting effect looked supernatural to me, so I moved some of the elements around to accomplish my aims.

--BT

artdudette
03-08-2002, 11:06 PM
Black Tiger, I think you really captured the light around them well, and it's cool that you chose to frame it to emphasize what YOU saw. I wanted to do this one too, but chickened out, big time.

Not sure I agree with the "little angels" what with them seemingly trying to pulverize each other! ;)

Looks great!

_________
artdudette:cool:

auntie_chaos
03-08-2002, 11:27 PM
Lovely job of shading! Like the way you've done the lighting around the children too. If you finish it I hope you'll post the finished works.

Surfinia
03-08-2002, 11:40 PM
Very good - nice job of shading and blending.

tuatara
03-09-2002, 06:26 AM
Looks like they're having a real battle! Your close crop gives them a new focus which is uniquely yours and the rim lighting is exactly the subject which was titled light. Very nice interpretation.

Pam:)

Caron
03-09-2002, 11:40 AM
Oh BT, the way you were talkin last night, I didnt know what I was going to find..this is beautifully touching! You have taken a simbling rivalry incident and turned into an angelic love hug!! I really like this! I also like the way you picked up on what I thought this pic was about--light. Your cropping of the images has given them the focus..great job!!

baquitania
03-09-2002, 05:06 PM
I think this is great... the light is wonderful as everyone has said... and the angel wing is very inventive. My vote for working title is "St Peter Keeping out the Riffraff"

:D :evil: :angel:

BlackTigr
03-09-2002, 05:45 PM
The replies..in reverse order from which the comments were left...

baquitania, that was an amusing suggestion, title-wise...I'll definitely consider it. As for inventive, it was more drawing what I saw than coming up with something new. I only had to move it a fraction, and my mind was doing that anyways.

Caron, the title of the photo was what influenced me to look for the light in the first place. I felt like with the larger crop, the rather unusual light effect was lost amongst the other visual information.

tuatara, my take on cropping it differently is that everyone had the same photographs. During these drawing nights, I try to find a view of some piece of the photo that appeals to me. I could try to frame mine like the other artists, but my hand-eye coordination isn't the same, and a lot of them use color. So I use what is unique to me--my imagination. Besides, the less visual information I try to convey within the 2 hours, the closer I can come to conveying something worthwhile.

Surfinia, thank you. I am learning blending techniques, and I really enjoy getting the black areas blacker. This reference provided me with a chance to do just that.

auntie_chaos, thanks...It helps, I think, that I have a slim eraser tip to play with, but that light had to be the lightest thing in the picture, or else it wouldn't contrast with the black of the arched doorway. I think I will be finishing this one, if just to finally finish something. I've been having trouble with that, of late.

artdudette, I use these drawing nights as a way to step out of my comfort zone. Maybe next time you should not "chicken out" and try what really appeals to you out of the reference photos. The other two compositions I tried were different ways of looking at the covered bridge, but I just couldn't get that "right" crop of it. It was a good thing that I kept this other one on the mental backburner...:cat:

Thanks, all, for the encouragement.

--BT

artdudette
03-10-2002, 03:32 AM
:o
I can't believe I didn't see the angel in the light around the toddlers... duh! Now I see where your title came from BT. (sorry)

I think next time I will try something I haven't before, it's good advice. What you've acheived here so well, and what I still have to learn, it how to interpret a picture or a scene, and put my own 'spin' on it.

Lulu
03-11-2002, 02:54 AM
I like what you have done with this, tells a story that we can each make up our own scenario to:)

orchidlover6
03-11-2002, 10:59 AM
this composition is ageless. You did a good job.