PDA

View Full Version : pROBLEM WITH CELTIC KNOTS

celticrichard
06-13-2006, 01:50 AM
Its not i cant handle the going oover and under of the knots,but my lines dont seem to have the right width and i want all my lines to be the same.Is there anything to make sure all lines are correct?

TessDB
06-13-2006, 08:23 AM
Richard--

Can you post a pic of what you're having trouble with? I have a couple of ideas that might help, but want to make sure I'm thinking of the right things.

Tess

Merry Scribe
06-13-2006, 10:13 AM
Its not i cant handle the going oover and under of the knots,but my lines dont seem to have the right width and i want all my lines to be the same.Is there anything to make sure all lines are correct?

Don't feel pregnant there I have the same problem but Tess told me to think of the knots as letters and not lines since I am a calligrapher not an artist.

So I know that Tess can help you.

Brian :wave: :D

P.S. Tess I am working on a Knot project now along with my commissioned project I think you will like.

celticrichard
06-13-2006, 11:36 AM
er,pregnant? im a boy.

Merry Scribe
06-13-2006, 01:58 PM
er,pregnant? im a boy.

I is just a saying meaning don't feel different or un-normal everyone one has problems with Celtic Knots when they first start doing them. I knew you were male.

Brian:wave: :D

celticrichard
06-17-2006, 05:15 AM
Heres the illustration of a painting of another artist i found with my mistake:http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2006/69175-11sive_detail200.jpg in red are the mistakes he maDE.as you see the width is different.any ways to make it uniform and steady?

TessDB
06-17-2006, 07:56 AM
as you see the width is different.any ways to make it uniform and steady?

Lots and lots of practice? And accepting that we're human, not computers? :D :lol:

Ok, seriously. if the problem you're having is that subtle, I really wouldn't worry about it. It's those little imperfections that make a piece look organic & gives it character. I know I've mentioned how I'm not a fan of Courtney Davis' stuff (you can see his work here (http://thebeverlyhillsgallery.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=756fc5cbf7423cad30f85a1bb62d5169)). And part of the reason is that it's incredibly static, very rigid. And a lot of that is due to a machine-like accuracy that just doesn't do it for me.

The Book of Kells is held up as the end-all be-all of Celtic knotwork & illumination. It's a benchmark everything gets compared to. But if you look closely at the carpet pages, they're a mess! (Excellent book to get, if you don't have it already: "Book of Kells" by Bernard Meehan. Lots of great pics of the carpet pages & detail shots as well as insight into some of the symbolism & how they did it) Widths change randomly, bands just *stop,* patterns fall apart in places... So if that's the benchmark, I'd say us modern folks have lots of room to be less-than-computers.

BUT, if your width problem is more obvious and really Really REALLY bothering you, there are a couple of things you can do:

#1, stop drawing the over/under part of the pattern. Let the lines cross & go back and erase. For me, it's the stopping & starting at a line that will goof up my thicknesses. Once you've got your hand/eye trained a little better, you can start drawing the over/unders again.

#2 Get a compass (if you don't have one already) like this one (http://www.dickblick.com/zz554/87/) that will let you swap the point for another lead. Set it to the width that you want and use it to create guides for the areas you're having trouble with. You could even try drawing with it, but I found that more frustrating than the widths being uneven. ;)

#3 Practice. And be patient with yourself. Relax. Knotwork, for all it's tangled tightness, is about flow. It's a dance. It's music. It's the path of water over rocks. It's tree-branches tickling the sky. It's children playing tag. Bring some of that laughter into it.

I hope this helps. Show what *you're* working on?
Tess

celticrichard
06-17-2006, 08:14 AM
Thank you tess,ill get a compass like that one in Spain.Im sorry for all my bothering,but i have an obssesion that anything in knotwork must be perfect,and imperfections make me mad.

TessDB
06-17-2006, 08:27 AM
Thank you tess,ill get a compass like that one in Spain.Im sorry for all my bothering,but i have an obssesion that anything in knotwork must be perfect,and imperfections make me mad.

It's not bothering and I'm glad to help. :)

About the imperfections... did you know that they are incorporated in religious art (which knotwork is based on) on purpose? Two schools of thought as to why... Possible reason #1: Only God/Deity/Higher-Powers are perfect and it is not our place to rival that. #2 Nature is a reflection of God/Deity/Higher-Power and Nature is not perfect. Two very different interpretations, that essentially say the same thing: There's nothing wrong with striving & struggling & doing your best, but in the end it isn't the final product that matters, *it's what you do to get there.*

Relax. You'll get it. :wave:

Tess

Alex22
09-11-2006, 11:58 PM
Come on,I don't see a big problem with your knots.I wish I could do that!! The only time I tried to make knots,I almost ended up with my fingers made a knot.That is really a problem.:lol:

remclave
11-16-2006, 08:15 PM
Today is my first day learning to make Celtic knots based on the lessons in the header of this forum.

I found the best way to master the curves so that each line is balanced is to actually move the paper so my most comfortable stroke angle follows the previous curves. Did that make sense?

I hope to have some artwork to show in a few months. :)