PDA

View Full Version : Attempting a website

Bringer
06-10-2006, 05:58 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to build a website.
It's very rudimentary, but at least I can already show the images:cool:
Click on the main images to go to the respective gallery.
When expanding the images I get the message «Object Error».
Just click ovder the cross, in case the same happens to you.
I've decided to name the site «Hushcolours»
I don't care:evil: if it's appropriate or not, I just like the sound of it:p

http://sitekreator.com/hushcolours/main_page.html

Kindest regards,

José

P.S.

it may take a bit to dowload

Nancy Leone
06-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Looking good so far, Jose. Though it is slow for some reason.
I signed up with sitekreator last night also but I think it's going to take more than 30 minutes and a little dragon for me to come up with a website.

Bringer
06-10-2006, 06:27 PM
Hi Nancy,

Well, to figure out how to post these simple elements, and especially how to make a link out of an image to its respective gallery, it took my about 90 minutes :-)
And there's still alot that can be done.
But that will arrive with time.
For now I just want to be abble to show my works.
I still haven't figured out what to have on the left column. I guess I'll have to take a look again at the templates' examples.

Best regards,

José

mauricar
06-10-2006, 07:49 PM
Jose, keep working on it. It takes awhile to set it up the way you want, but will be worth it when you are done. I also use sitekreator and love the way I can update. Keep us posted.
Midge

Susan Borgas
06-10-2006, 10:17 PM
José, I didn't find it slow though found it unusual that I couldn't use the back button on my browser to take me back to a previous page.

Very nice how the paintings are displayed...... just don't forget to put time aside to paint now that you are getting into this web marketing stuff!!! :D

Bringer
06-10-2006, 11:07 PM
Hi Susan,

Besides using the buttons on the site, I could also use my browser's back button.
I use the IE browser. Dunno wich version.
Could it be because we are in opposite parts of the globe ?
You may need to wait for the Earth to rotate 180 degrees for it to work.

Kindest regards,

José

Susan Borgas
06-10-2006, 11:21 PM
I use Firefox as my web browser hence explains the back button not working when I load a gallery. I just tested it in IE and it works fine so there goes the theory of the Earth having to rotate 180 degrees. :lol: The links all work OK in the index; also can use the back button in Firefox when using the links from the actual index.

It is only the gallery links from the images that don't like the back button with Firefox. Not an issue really as I tend to open with tabs so that I get a lot of pages quickly to view.:thumbsup:

Tressa
06-11-2006, 07:54 AM
Looking Good, Jose!! No problems here!
Tres

Orchidacea
06-11-2006, 08:01 AM
Looks great, Jose! I use SiteKreator too. I found that I was able to get my site up and running quite quickly. While I'd like to have a little more editing flexibility, you can't beat them for ease of use...and the price is right!

*Marina*
06-11-2006, 08:25 AM
Looks good so far, Jose

Donna A
06-11-2006, 02:14 PM
Hi, Bringer! So far so good! Congratulations!

I took a little class a good while before designing my web site----and the HUGEST point they made over and over again was NAVIGATION through the site! Be sure your viewers can get to and back from any page----and be able to access all the main pages from any page. Because we want to keep frustration levels as absolutely low as possible for our visitors---or they will leave! Yes! I've been to a LOT of sites that just are soo akward that I don't want to bother any more, no matter the content. Life is too short! :-)

They suggested we plan out the pattern and pages of our site with little postit notes----or cards that we can move around and move around until we understand the FLOW which serves us---and will serve the visitor.

I'm not familiar with SiteKreater, but sounds like it works for many of you! Good! With it's limitations, do try to become aware of all of them and find ways of working around as many as possible to give you what you need.

I was really fortunate that I had a daughter who was a professional web site designer, so she did my 8 main pages----and taught me how to use Adobe GoLive. And---awwww geeee-----I actually surprised her with how I was able to use her training! :-) So I've done the rest of my site. She did the "roll-overs" at the top of each main page. I have not a clue how to do that! But the rest---and updating----thankfully I can do that as needed.

I absolutely did begin with the Navigation, the flow! And that has helped a LOT. It was good to be able to think about what I really wanted and needed. Of course, I set up the Writings page the most first. Duh! The information-sharer in me. I STILL need to really DO my Gallery. It's still a gobbledy-gook-----but one of these days. Keep having different ideas, so I just do patches. Terrible. But---there it is. Ohhh well! (NOT a billiant idea.) :-)

Very best wishes! Keep us posted! Donna ;-}

Merriel
06-11-2006, 05:33 PM
Nice Site Jose'. It pulled up fast for me. Really like all of your paintings.

leirrem

Bringer
06-13-2006, 07:39 PM
Hi,

In case you want to see what's in my opinion a good website :

http://www.daviddowbyhuz.com/index-2.html

He's one of ours Wetcanvas coleagues.
Check his procedures page. The way he works on those is in my opinion, half way to get customers.

Regards,

José

bjcpaints
06-14-2006, 09:12 AM
Your site is looking good Jose! Inspiring me to try to make one too. I bookmarked David's site to check out later - thanks!
Barbara

David Patterson
06-14-2006, 02:23 PM
Hi Jose - Your site is looking very good. You will probably find that it will be ever changing - either by your skills in web design getting better, or you finding out what's working by the differant feedback you will get. I know it's a lot of work - I spent over 50 hours on mine,(see link below) and I'm always adding to it, or refining it. I was looking for a sight that didn't get too "busy" looking, and navagation would be a strong point. I had a lot of fun doing it, as I can tell you are enjoying working with yours.

I always enjoy the work you post Jose - and appreciate the honest C & C you always give everyone's work - including my few posts. Keep up the great work!:thumbsup:

David

Dot Hoffman
06-14-2006, 03:03 PM
Hi Jose,
What I could access looked good! However, like someone else mentioned, I use Firefox as my browser and the back button didn't work. Maybe you could talk to your tech help folks and find out how to fix that.

Bringer
06-14-2006, 04:45 PM
Hi,

David, I didn't build my site as if I used a program like Dreamweaver and alikes.
Sitekreator is a program/site on the net that permits to create web pages.
Just like Artspan or Minigallery, I guess.
But I would like to know web design.

Dot,

I guess that you'll have to use the menu at left to move around.
But I'll contact them so that they can be aware of that, in case they aren't.

Thank you everyone for your comments.

Regards,

José

David Patterson
06-14-2006, 05:47 PM
Hi,

David, I didn't build my site as if I used a program like Dreamweaver and alikes.
Sitekreator is a program/site on the net that permits to create web pages.
Just like Artspan or Minigallery, I guess.
But I would like to know web design.

José

José, I used Yahoo's simple "SiteBuilder" program. I just didn't use thier templates, and started with a blank page. The rest was fairly easy. So I don't really know HTML or any of the Web building software programs either.

Nancy Leone
06-14-2006, 08:33 PM
Hi Jose,
Checked out your site again. Looking good and not slow like the first time I visited.

Bringer
06-15-2006, 10:53 PM
Hi,

Due to some problems with using the back button for Firefox web browser users, I contacted the Sitekreator support team.
This is the last report I got from them :

Quote :

«Hello Jose,

Thank you for the provided details.

This issue may appear if that visitor to your site is using FireFox browser
version 1.0.x. The back button on this version of FireFox is not working -
this is an issue connected with the FireFox browser, not with SiteKreator,
and is appearing for other sites like Ebay and Amazon.

Please note that we recommend using FireFox 1.5 + version which SiteKreator
is fully compatible with. Here you can see the list of all browsers that
SiteKreator is compatible with -
http://sitekreator.com/sitekreator/FAQbasics.html#q16

Let us know if that was the case with that visitor to your site.

Best regards,
SiteKreator Team»

End Quote

Regards,

José

Susan Borgas
06-18-2006, 08:21 PM
José thought I would let you know that I installed a new version of Firefox last night . The back button now works :thumbsup:

Bringer
06-18-2006, 09:14 PM
Hi,

I'm glad for that.
Now you can purchase all my paintings :-)
Do you think the australian team will make it for the 8th finals of the World Cup ? They have good chances.
But maybe they should also install the new version of Firefox :-)

Regards,

José

Potoma
06-18-2006, 09:15 PM
It's great, José - downloaded quickly.

I absolutely love the softness of the 4th landscape - the clouds over the mistly lake. Beautiful touch on that one.

Susan Borgas
06-19-2006, 02:49 AM
Hi,

I'm glad for that.
Now you can purchase all my paintings :-)
Do you think the australian team will make it for the 8th finals of the World Cup ? They have good chances.
But maybe they should also install the new version of Firefox :-)

Regards,

José
I am broke promoting my own work so can't afford yours. :evil::angel:

Gee is there a cup happening!!!... have to admit that I am not up all hours watching it but do know they lost the game with Brazil. Maybe they will bounce back..... go the roos!!!!!!:thumbsup::lol:

Katherine T
06-19-2006, 05:04 AM
I'm glad to see yet another person has been able to get their website up and running using Sitekreator.

I think I was the first person to use Sitekreator and to highlight on Wet Canvas what a great FREE resource they are. A few things not mentioned yet that you may be interested in:
the tutorials get better and better - and are very easy to understand. This is a site which really caters well for the website newbie
the support team are really excellent (if you need any further persuasion after the above example). They usually respond very quickly and are extremely helpful if and when you get a problem. I've not had a problem yet that we haven't been able to sort out
if you register a domain name, you can get your sitekreator website pointed to it. I'd recommend doing this as early as possible if you think you might do it at some point.
Interestingly as a result of the ripple effect on Wert Canvas I think they now have a great many artist sites. They've certainly been very good at looking at tweaks and developments which are particularly relevant to artists. I'm always suggesting things and most have been implemented!The only difference between my site and the completely free sites is the extra 100MB storage which comes at a very reasonable price considering there is no software to buy and no hosting fees.

scall0way
06-23-2006, 11:08 AM
Sitekreator sounds pretty good! Unfortunately I've never been able to load José's website yet. :( The operation always times out every time I try, and I just get a message that it timed out and the page cannot be displayed. Maybe another day if I remember :lol:

Katherine T
06-23-2006, 12:51 PM
It never even loaded for me! But it's not the sitekreator site as mine loaded instantly.

I think Jose might want to discuss that with the support team. Sometimes if there are any name changes for the html address that can cause problems.

Bringer
06-26-2006, 02:02 PM
Hi Debbie and Katherine,

I just clicked the given link and downloaded pretty quick.
I'd say between 5 to 10 seconds for the main page appear completed.

Kindest regards,

José