PDA

View Full Version : Turpenoid Natural?

DrBrad
06-10-2006, 04:05 PM
Has anyone used 'Turpenoid Natural'? I tried to find some Res-n-Gel today at the local art store but could not. Saw this *non-toxic* turpenoid and decided to try it. Works great-- but the fact sheet has some warnings that if you use more than 25% TN to your paint you may have adherence problems later. This was referring to oil and acrylic paint, however. Wondering if anyone has experience with this and OPs. I LOVE the way it works with the OPs but don't want the painting to fall apart down the line...

UPDATE: I did a WC search (probably should have started with that!) and found people complained about the prolonged drying time with TN. Hmmm. How about Zest-It-- does it dry any faster?

UPDATE 2!: Is it possible to buy Zest-it in the US? I tried all the usual sources and Google and came up empty...

Thanks!

laika
06-10-2006, 04:35 PM
i've asked around about Turpenoid Natural before and (anecdotally) most people say it's a great non-toxic brush cleaner for oil paint. Weber has a PDF with more info at their website. you might also inquire at the oil painting forum on WetCanvas.

Res*n*gel drives me nuts - it takes two or three days to dry in my experience. but others here (hopalong, maybe?) use it.

no idea about Zest-It, but Grumbacher makes an orange-smelling solvent which claims to be "More effective than turpentine as a thinner and in the preparation of mediums."

laika
06-10-2006, 05:01 PM
oh yeah, the Grumbacher product is called Grumtine.

DrBrad
06-10-2006, 05:28 PM
Hey thanks, seems that slow driving is the major problem.
Grumtine unfortunately smells good but is evidently still toxic.
Hoping it's possible to find Zest-it somewhere in the US or order from UK. They even have info on using Z-I with OPs posted on their site-- which was a nice surprise. Will keep looking for a supplier.

DrBrad
06-10-2006, 07:14 PM
Well Duh, you can buy Zest-it directly from the Zest-it people. I've ordered some!

hopalong
06-11-2006, 10:11 AM
Brad, please let us know how the Zest-it works!

laika
06-11-2006, 01:11 PM
Grumtine unfortunately smells good but is evidently still toxic.

well, right you are DrBrad. apparently d-limonene is a terpene like turpentine, a combustible hydrocarbon, and at the very least a possible skin irritant.

so i wonder what part of the citrus Zest-It uses? keep us posted.

sundiver
06-12-2006, 09:38 PM
I just received my Bob Rohm video (soft pastels). He uses Turpenoid to spread his pastel underpainting but said to avoid Turpenoid Natural because it gets gummy and "never really dries'. I would assume that applies to oil pastels also.

CarlyHardy
06-20-2006, 08:29 PM
I tried turpenoid natural with my oilies and found that it didn't dry. I think it must have something to do with the combination of the binders in the oil pastels and the turpenoid natural. It does clean brushes nicely...but I still have a large bottle that is unused on my shelf!

I prefer mineral spirits or regular turpenoid to do my oil pastel underpaintings. Both dry quickly leaving the oil pastels pliable on the surface of the substrate. This is a big plus when using them on location.

Have been reading about the Zest-it...sounds interesting, but I doubt I'll buy any since I have a couple large cans of turpenoid in my garage! You know how those coupons make large cans so attractive??!!!
carly

Shirl Parker
02-28-2008, 06:10 PM
Has anyone tried this as possible equivalent to Zest-It?

Eco-House 915 Orange Terpene Solvent http://www.dickblick.com/zz015/80/

kathylbell
01-28-2010, 12:38 PM
Hi Shirl,
Yes, I've tried the Orange thinners by Eco-House and find it does a great job of cleaning brushes and acting as a medium for my oil paints. I just dip my brush into it, then into my paints, gives great flow and dries completely in a couple of hours. If you add a little linseed oil it will slow down the drying, but I prefer it by itself. I also tried it with galkyd and found it doesn't seem to mix well with that.

silvermoss
01-31-2010, 06:37 AM
Hello all,
I am new to oil pastels, but here is my 5 cents. My local art store recommended 'Archival Oils Odourless solvent' which is fast drying and they claim '48x less toxic than turpentine'. It dries overnight.

This thread prompted me to look up the MSDS which says it contains 'isoparaffinic hydrocarbon, 100%' and seems to support its claims to minimal toxicity.

The website says "It is important not to use other brands of mediums with Archival Oils because they would introduce brittle layers. The flexibility of Archival Oils, when used with Archival Mediums, is such that overpainted layers can stretch to accommodate movement as the painting settles down and cures and this is why they can be used with such freedom of technique." - not sure that I fully understand this, but it may relate to Brad's initial question of brittleness with oil paint. However, it does not really help us with what would happen with oil pastel!

(Ref: www.chromaonline.com)

Cath.