PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Mounting thin papers for Ink?

Petdevils
06-09-2006, 03:12 AM
Hi,

I've got some really nice Hahnemuhle Ingres paper which is laid with a very nice texture, thing is its very delicate and only 100gsm....

I would like to do ink (brush/pen) on it but it lightly buckes a bit (see an exmaple here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=351820)).

I'm wondering if there is a cheap, archival easy way to mount it before I use it.... without losing the texture or affecting its ability to take on ink?

The only thing I can think of is acrylic polymer (medium) to glue it onto something... but not sure if that will affect it or what to mount it too?

Any ideas greatly appreciated,

Cheers

Petdevils

Petdevils
06-11-2006, 01:36 AM
hmmm....surely someone more experienced would have some ideas on this?

DBSullivan
06-11-2006, 01:44 AM
The only thing I can think of would be to have it dry-mounted (http://www.picturethisframed.com/dry_mounting.html) to an acid-free surface, such as foamcore. A local framing shop should be able to do it for you. (you need a press to do it properly).

Petdevils
06-14-2006, 05:58 AM
hi,

that's sounds like it might ruin the texture of the paper(like pressing old paintings onto boards does) ?

cheers

petdevils

DBSullivan
06-14-2006, 09:13 AM
I really couldn't say if the texture would get "pressed out" or not. I only gave the suggestion. You may want to ask a frame shop who offers the service.

J. Mundie
06-22-2006, 09:01 PM
I would suggest the following:

1) apply an archival contact adhesive (there are several on the market - in spray or sheet form) to the heavier substrate; 2) gently press the Hahnemuhle onto that - starting from the center out to the edges, careful not to wrinkle or buckle the lighter paper in the process. Start with a small size until you get the hang of it; 3) Once you have sandwiched the papers together, allow it to 'cure' under evenly distributed weights (a thick piece of glass and several books will do nicely).

Petdevils
06-27-2006, 09:42 AM
thanks guys i'll see if those work :)