PDA

View Full Version : Oily paints

DaveTooner
03-07-2002, 11:07 PM
Why is it that some colors seem to have more oil in them when you squeeze them out of the tube? I've always just assumed this was normal but never knew why.

guillot
03-07-2002, 11:32 PM
Some manufacturers produce their tube paints with different proportions of linseed oil. Usually (as far as I know - I'm no expert), the cheaper the paint, the more oily it is. If you would like to decrease the amount of oil in the paint, you could use a paper palette (or a paper towel), set your palette (lay out your colors), and let it sit there overnight. The paper will absorb most of the unwanted oil out. If it dries out too much (should have a buttery feel to it), then you can add tiny amounts of linseed oil back into it.

Leopoldo1
03-08-2002, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by guillot
Usually (as far as I know - I'm no expert), the cheaper the paint, the more oily it is.

Not necessarily true. Most of Robert Doaks pigments that I use( not cheap), separate when dispensed from their tubes. Cheap pigments have binder/extenders in them. This produces a pigment uniformity that manufactures have programed us into thinking is good paint, like squezzing out toothpaste, or like a Big Mac Burger. They always comes out the same, buttery, wonderful looking, uniform consistency, etc. The reality is they use less pigment because of the added binders. As artist we want the best chroma and intensity and that only comes from pure unadulterated pigment! The most expensive part in making paint is the cost of the pigment. The oil is relevent and binders and extenders are cheap. The best paints are those that use a pigment and a oil only, no binders. The problem with this sometimes is the pigment separates a little in the tube but that is not a big problem as you have suggested...L

guillot
03-08-2002, 01:04 AM
Told you I'm no expert:D :D It's just always seemed to me that the less I spend on a tube of oil paint (brand included), the more oily it is. I've still so much to learn my self :o But hey.........how will I learn if I don't have such wonderful people teaching and correcting me ;) Thanks Leo!