PDA

View Full Version : UK international sellers - Can anyone explain Billpoint?

Maggie J
03-07-2002, 03:41 PM
I'm quite a newbie where eBay is concerned and only put one or two paintings on a week at most. I recently opened a Billpoint account but ....how does it work with international buyers.

My buyers so far have been 99per cent U.S based so I want to be able to give them as many paying options as possible but when I list on the .com site it won't accept billpoint because I'm in the UK.

I'm probably missing something really obvious as I'm not computer minded at all!! Help!

Any ideas folks
Thanks
Maggie :cat:

timelady
03-07-2002, 05:30 PM
Register with www.billpointuk.com. Unfortunately you can only accept payment for items sold on ebay.co.uk because Billpoint doesn't do currency conversion. That pretty much sucks and I didn't know that until you asked and I went to look it up. So you've helped me too! :)

The only way around I can think of is if you run an auction in US$ and ask them to pay via BillpointUK in GBP. It's on the customers credit card so it shouldn't bother them what currency it is. I'm sending an email to Billpoint support - they were very helpful last time I was having trouble with my account. Will let you know...

Tina.

Maggie J
03-07-2002, 05:55 PM
Thanks for your info Tina, will be very interested to know what Billpoint say to this one! You'd think it'd be one of the main 'selling points' as it were. No currency conversion! how'do they expect to compete with the likes of Paypal! :confused:

Anyhow, thanks for your input - will watch this space and see!!

timelady
03-09-2002, 05:22 PM
You can ONLY take payments for eBay auctions.
You can ONLY take payments for an item listed in the same currency as the Billpoint you're signed up with. (ebay.co.uk - BillpointUK, ebay.com - Billpoint)

To open a Billpoint account to do ebay.com auctions you must have a US bank account. Bummer. (The depressing part is I have a US bank account but can't use it because these are business sales and everything goes through my UK account. To use my US account for Billpoint I'd have to then pay MYSELF through PAYPAL to get the funds in GBP!!!!!)

I knew I shouldn't have reactiviated my Billpoint account. :mad:

Tina.

Maggie J
03-11-2002, 06:23 AM
Tina - thanks for getting back about it!
I can't believe how crazy this is! You'd think there'd be some way they could make it easier!!
Paypal seems the best bet so I'll keep on with them - although i got an e.mail from them about cross-border payments saying that the seller is now responsible for this fee instead of the buyer(!). If I've got that right?!

You'd think in 2002 it'd be all smooth, straight forward and automated!! Ha ha

Take care and thanks
Maggie J