PDA

View Full Version : The day of truth

Merry Scribe
06-05-2006, 11:12 AM
Hello friends and neighbors today is the day of truth I go and meet with my first client for a real commissioned project. I was hoping that you all could give me some insight on how to determine what I should charge for my services. I know that this is a very difficult question but I truely do not know how to approach this. Should I charge by the letter or should I charge by the project. All I know so far is that the client want me to make some kind of name plague for a friend of hers. This is all the information that my wife could get from the individual. So I do not know how to approach what to charge for my services.

Please give me some Idea of ranges of pricing. Or how I should go about setting a price.

Thank you all for your help and advice.

Brian:wave: :D

CPM
06-05-2006, 11:51 AM
Brian, I can only wish you good luck. Like you, I have never sold anything so I would have no idea what to charge. I would go back through the recent posts. A few of our regulars have recently received commissions and I would PM them for advice on setting the project costs. - Chris

DBSullivan
06-05-2006, 01:56 PM
Brian, I've never done (or sold) calligraphy, but I've done plenty of commissions for other work.

Here are a few general guidelines that may help you.

1- Your customer is more "in the dark" than you are about this. You can be honest without telling them that this is your very first commission. Just be confident, be factual and informative... and don't "ummm" and "ahhh" when it comes to the fee.

2- The end must justify the means. Keep in mind what their planning to use it for. I would imagine you could charge more for a poem that will be printed on invitations for a large wedding (of a rich family), than you could for a poem intended for a man to give to his wife on the day she gives birth to their child.

3- Ask not and you shall recieve not! Don't undercharge! Whether you choose to charge them per letter, per word, or per paragraph, you should make sure you are making a fair return on your time. IMO, you should go with at least $25.00 hr.. therefore if you know it'll take you 3 hours, go with at least $75.00

4- Give a price for the completed project. Don't surprise them with an hourly thing.. tell them what they can expect to pay for the completed project, and stick with it.

5- Be yourself, and don't be nervous! Remember that this is what it's all about! :thumbsup:

I hope this helps (and that I'm not too late)

Merry Scribe
06-05-2006, 04:13 PM
Brian, I've never done (or sold) calligraphy, but I've done plenty of commissions for other work.

Here are a few general guidelines that may help you.

1- Your customer is more "in the dark" than you are about this. You can be honest without telling them that this is your very first commission. Just be confident, be factual and informative... and don't "ummm" and "ahhh" when it comes to the fee.

2- The end must justify the means. Keep in mind what their planning to use it for. I would imagine you could charge more for a poem that will be printed on invitations for a large wedding (of a rich family), than you could for a poem intended for a man to give to his wife on the day she gives birth to their child.

3- Ask not and you shall recieve not! Don't undercharge! Whether you choose to charge them per letter, per word, or per paragraph, you should make sure you are making a fair return on your time. IMO, you should go with at least $25.00 hr.. therefore if you know it'll take you 3 hours, go with at least $75.00

4- Give a price for the completed project. Don't surprise them with an hourly thing.. tell them what they can expect to pay for the completed project, and stick with it.

5- Be yourself, and don't be nervous! Remember that this is what it's all about! :thumbsup:

I hope this helps (and that I'm not too late)

Tahnk you Dave that helped wvry much.

Brian:wave: :D