PDA

View Full Version : WIPpy woman

TWTom
06-04-2006, 03:22 PM
here we go. b/w WIP

Bluish background, a rough trace (to get accurate proportions) with the Painter cover pencil, and then a little digital watercolor gray to put in the shadows.

Oh no!!! The nose is not your standard "found a similar one in a fashion magazine"-type nose. It's a very natural, lovely nose. But not like the "after" from a plastic surgeon's photo spread.

The challenge is whether I can render it without viewers saying, "Oh he messed up on that nose," instead of, "Well, she has a unique, lovely nose, and boy he got it just right."

LadyAlba
06-04-2006, 03:57 PM
She looks like she is going to be just lovely! :thumbsup: Waiting for the next installment! :wave:

TWTom
06-04-2006, 05:36 PM
...Waiting for the next installment!.......installing... :) ... I went in with my eraser, getting rid of some of the spurious guidelines. I took my pencil and darkened some of the more interesting areas.

I started wondering where i should stop. When have I said enough about this woman? Maybe part of the difficulty of that answer is that I didn't have much "intent" when I started drawing.

Did I want to simply show her pleasure? Did I want to show she's nearing middle age, but is confident and unafraid?

Part of the answer is in my experience. Too often I look at someone I've drawn and think, "Really, I've overdone this. Why can't I be satisfied with less rather than more?"

Another part of my answer is my skill level. I'm still so weak at drawing the complexity of faces, so I'll take whatever victory I get here.

I'm going to try to under-draw this one. I like that I haven't overdone all the strands of her hair, which I often do..."Well, she has a million strands of hair...I should draw 900,000 of them and leave 100,000 to the imagination ;) "

Stumbling towards some sort of finish...

justjean
06-04-2006, 09:12 PM
Welll.... first I don't think you messed up that nose at all , in fact I think you got it just right :)

Tom I really like this and how you have done the drawing and shading :thumbsup:

I wish I could do thinks looser but just can't seem to get the hang of it :confused:

LadyAlba
06-04-2006, 09:13 PM
The eyes have really brought her to life! Beautiful work and as for...
I'm still so weak at drawing the complexity of faces, so I'll take whatever victory I get here.
I wish I was even close to this weak! :cat: :thumbsup:

maria_khurram
06-04-2006, 11:44 PM
Look very elegant and beautiful.

JCoop
06-05-2006, 09:16 AM
Tom, this is great... I really love the technique and the results speak for themselves.

Did you render the eyes more densely in tone than the rest of the drawing on purpose?... also the teeth look a tad large. I know.... it's so easy to be a Monday morning Quarterback.;)

TWTom
06-05-2006, 09:51 AM
Did you render the eyes more densely in tone than the rest of the drawing on purpose?... also the teeth look a tad large. I know.... it's so easy to be a Monday morning Quarterback.;) Wait, wait...it's not Monday yet in my picture's world! Here's the latest, which still isn't done. I've started bringing in more white for highlights.

TxAggieDarlin
06-05-2006, 10:38 AM
sigh............this is really wonderful.....thanks for sharing ...maybe I will learn something LOL....

TWTom
06-05-2006, 10:44 AM
sigh............this is really wonderful.....thanks for sharing ...maybe I will learn something LOL.... Aggie, you are so nice. I do think the best way of learning is to stare over other people's shoulders when they work. I think this is the first WIP step by step I've done in a while. I so appreciate when everybody around here takes the time to do their own WIP step by step.

Also, re: learning. I've been just taking certain features, e.g., a nose, and working on it over and over. I draw someone's nose, erase it, then start drawing again. Boy it helps me to self-critique and try again.

TWTom
06-05-2006, 11:01 AM
Done. I added more white highlights and blended a few areas. If I wanted to fuss around, there are a few areas I could spend more time on, but I like the unpolished look.

Unless someone sees something obvious... :rolleyes:

I really like the minimal colors, and actually I suppose it's considered black and white.

JCoop
06-05-2006, 11:30 AM
Wait, wait...it's not Monday yet in my picture's world! Here's the latest, which still isn't done.

I wish I could have that pass back. Well, now it' s Monday in your picture's world and all I can say is Wow!!! Tom, you've got the right stuff!:thumbsup:

Chiers
06-05-2006, 12:25 PM
Tom, this is terrific!!:envy:

barryt
06-05-2006, 02:13 PM
I love that and thanks for the WIP.

Annie*M
06-05-2006, 02:15 PM
She is terrific Tom and has a natural friendly warmth about her. Marvellous eyes.

Smokin
06-05-2006, 07:13 PM
Ooooooooooo, very nice Tom!

TWTom
06-06-2006, 03:41 AM
I wish I could have that pass back. Well, that's the only downside of a WIP here. None of us know exactly what the next step is...if we're even going to step at all...and I was threatening to under-draw this.

Thank you all----Marge, Frank, Jean, Joel, Aggie, Maria, Barry---for your support and counsel as I drew this.

I want to put down my stylus for a day or two now and be as supportive of you all with my comments.

digistyle
06-20-2006, 12:50 AM
This turned out really well!