PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Unison Choice

Tressa
06-02-2006, 05:07 PM
If you were given the choice to pick out 72 Unison colors, would you pick out individual colors, or would you opt for the landscape set???
(this will be for plein air painting)
Not sure what to do, and was wanting your opinion.:confused: Thanks,
Tres

artist_pw
06-02-2006, 05:35 PM
Hi:

I'd probably compare some other Unison landscape color sets and the regular landscape sets before choosing to get ideas about different colors in the various sets. I'd be inclined to pick out individual colors so that any of my current colors wouldn't be duplicated. Hope this helps.

Adriana Meiss
06-02-2006, 06:00 PM
Hi Tressa,
I think it all depends on where you are going to paint and your color interpretation of the landscape.

I usually paint from photographs but just last weekend I did my first sketch in the wild. I had with me the 60 1/2 sticks Rembrandts and my new Maimeri set of 30 (I did not want to carry much with me). I kept on thinking that I needed other colors as I was trying to paint the play of light in a forest understory:mad: .

Now, I do have the 72 Unison landscape set but I dont think they would have helped much for that scene. Since I go to that place twice a year, next time I'll have my own color selection unless I find first a Northeastern mixed forest set!
So, IMO, if you know what the place is like, the predominant colors, etc., I would select my colors accordingly.

I hope this helps,
Adriana

Tressa
06-02-2006, 06:04 PM
The place is Scotland!! and I have NO IDEA!!! YIKES!!
That is why I was hesitant, and wanted some advice, as I can do either choice. Thanks for your input!! This may take more investigating,, hmm..
Tres

Bringer
06-02-2006, 07:22 PM
Hi Tressa,

Should I believe that the pastels that you already have, are not enough to paint a scotish landscape ?
Or you just need to buy pastels ? ( typical female syndrom) :-)
I suppose that buying single units is much more expensive than buying a set, however by doing so, one can reduce the amount of units - only to find out on spot that you're still missing THAT colour.....

Regards,

Josť

Tressa
06-02-2006, 07:47 PM
Jose,
haha veeeryy funny!!....I was given the CHOICE of picking my colors for the workshop, and they are INCLUDED in my fee already, so there...:p
Tres

Bringer
06-02-2006, 08:05 PM
Hi again,

Then I would choose :

Lockness Deep Blue
Whisky Golden
Kilt No Peaking Red
Castle Stones Grey
Never Ending Green

Regards,

Josť

Tressa
06-02-2006, 08:26 PM
Don't forget Blowing Bagpipe Brown!! :evil:
Tres

chewie
06-02-2006, 11:49 PM
you two are goofy!!

i have the unison set also, and like most of what was in it. however, i broke most of them in half, and filled the little slot with another half of various brands, so i could take as many colors as i can. i could be wrong, but seems to me, it was a bit lack on more muted greens. i dont' know scotland, but here, muted greens are far more dominate than bright grass/acidy greens.

Shane Keene
06-03-2006, 04:08 AM
Hi again,

Then I would choose :

Lockness Deep Blue
Whisky Golden
Kilt No Peaking Red
Castle Stones Grey
Never Ending Green

Regards,

Josť
Don't forget Blowing Bagpipe Brown!!

LOL, you two are a riot! Seriously though, It would be a dream come true for me to be able to pick 72 individual colors from any brand of artist quality sticks. I would definately go the individual route and pick colors that appealed to me and that I knew I would use again, even if I didn't use them during the workshop. Besides that, it just seems like it'd be a lot more fun to just sift through the jar and pick out a bunch of eye-candy :)

Mike_Beeman
06-03-2006, 11:56 AM
As with Shane I would be more inclined to pick out individual colors...and make sure you pick three values of Blowing Bagpipe Brown!!

Tressa
06-03-2006, 01:42 PM
As with Shane I would be more inclined to pick out individual colors...and make sure you pick three values of Blowing Bagpipe Brown!!

LOL!!!:lol:
I think I am leaning toward that decision as I DO have a lot of pastels, and it will be fun to just pick this one, and that one, ohh..gotta have THAT one!!
Tres

Tatijana
06-03-2006, 03:38 PM
I would choose individually and make sure i had the brightest and of the darkest of the 16packs in the selections of 72, i find i cannot get enough of good darks.
this sounds like a workshop to dream about.
\lucky you:smug:

Tressa
06-03-2006, 03:47 PM
That's a good suggestion Tatijana!! I have the 18 Unison darks, and I LOVE them, so maybe part of my selection will be the additional set of darks!!
Great idea!!
Yea!! I am rather excited about going!! I told my husband I was not trying to wish summer away, BUT, I really can't wait to go!! Is in August.
Tres

Kathryn Wilson
06-03-2006, 04:11 PM
You too should have a TV show - Jose you are a scream!

I'd go with the individual sticks - now just think about what Scotland colors might be - lavendars, blues, soft greens. Soft skies, heather, purple mountains, deep dark water. Oh, I envy you!

Tressa
06-03-2006, 04:59 PM
Yea, I think I will get one of those guide books and study the region's landscape, or better yet, take a virtual tour on the link Jose posted for virtual tourist!! Sometimes, I just suprise myself(duh..) :)

There must be some colors named
Hayfever Heather, Laddie Yellow, Robbie Brown Orange, and some
Raining The Whole Time Grey!!!
Tres

Khadres
06-03-2006, 05:12 PM
Actually, Unisons (being made in the UK) probably put out a landscape set pretty well chosen for their part of the world. Still, if you have a bunch of pastels already, why not just fill in whatever blanks you think you might need. All the blues, blue-greens, darks, and some hand chosen from the "additional" group. What fun you're going to have!

Shari
06-03-2006, 05:29 PM
Being a female with a serious case of pastel buying syndrome, I own almost every Unison stick there is and I love them!!! I would recommend picking individual colors and a lot of greens!!!! Get a good range of greens to the darkest ones. You won't be needing much turquoise there. Where will you be painting, on one of the smaller islands or in the cities? Depends if you are doing the countryside or will you be in Edinburough? I would choose according to the locale also.

Tressa
06-03-2006, 07:33 PM
Shari, we will be at the Kenmore Hotel north of Edinburgh, in the country. The hotel is on the River Tay.