PDA

View Full Version : An African Lady

justjean
06-01-2006, 10:31 PM
Did this for a challenge over at the INN,did an outline then painted it with Painter IX, Artists Oils - clumpy . Hats seem to be in style lately :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2006/36920-african_lady.jpg
and here's the original from Photo Source: Usenet News Free Photos http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2006/36920-31707159.art162.jpe

Annie*M
06-01-2006, 11:21 PM
Beautiful work Jean as always. You have such talent.

LadyAlba
06-02-2006, 12:10 AM
Gorgeous!! Way to go Jean!! You have definitely outdone yourself! ;o)

Chiers
06-02-2006, 02:41 AM
Jean good job. I especially like the scarf on her head! I think the dark openings in her nose could be a tad lighter though. And the ruffle on her dress needs to be defined so that it is recognizable as a ruffle otherwise it looks a bit odd and distracting.

You sure have been painting up a storm lately. Good on you!

SaraD
06-02-2006, 04:52 AM
Really nice Jean! Those colorful paintings are a treat to paint and a joy to watch!
Love the colors on the hat/scarf.
My only suggestion, since I just painted a black man, is to not forget the almost greyish/greenish in the skin and the pink/purple.

barryt
06-02-2006, 05:38 AM
A lovely painting, Jean, I do like the head scarf and necklace.

JCoop
06-02-2006, 11:30 AM
Jean, I just have to smile when I see such a lovely rendering. The scarf is very rich and the background color really agrees with my sensibilities. Very well done!:thumbsup: The only thing that I would have done is to remove the clasps in the necklace.:)

TWTom
06-02-2006, 01:33 PM
I like the big, bold scarf. You increased the color saturation and made it cheekier and gaudier in a good way. I get a feeling of shy pride from this woman, and your scarf only adds to it. You may have struggled a bit with some of the shadows on her face, but it's pleasing to my eyes. It's a warm reddish shadow on my monitor and I like its sharp contrast with the cold blue in the rest of the picture.

The lower lip jumps out in a funky, plump, juicy way and it's one of my favorite parts of this. Hmmm, plump and juicy and wonderful...Have you been working on any fruit still life paintings lately? :) Well, I think your recent experience/experiments show up nicely in this portrait.

Thank you. More like this!

NancyS.
06-02-2006, 02:27 PM
Jean, This is stunning! I love the colors. The photo is nice but I like the painting better.

Nancy

omniartz
06-02-2006, 02:33 PM
Jean, this is reallly great! Lovely colors and a good likeness! :clap:

Smokin
06-02-2006, 04:10 PM
OOO, very nice Jean. Just love your colors, especially in the scarf.

justjean
06-02-2006, 04:55 PM
Thanks AnnieM, Marge, Sherry, Sara, Barry, Joel, Tom, Nancy, Kirk and Frank :wave:

Tom most of the time I'm only using one eye which tends to dull everything I usually always play with the colours and make them darker/brighter than in the orig. image before I start to paint LOL,

Sara, Sherry and Joel I will keep your suggestions in mind :D

TxAggieDarlin
06-05-2006, 10:47 AM
Jean, what is the INN?

Beautiful, just beautiful...this may be one of your best yet LOL...I say that every time heheheh