PDA

View Full Version : Pastel Strokes - June

Paula Ford
06-01-2006, 05:57 AM
Welcome to the June edition of Pastel Strokes :wave:

This monthly project is for both soft pastels and oil pastels.

GUIDELINES:

On the first of each month, a reference photo will be posted in a thread entitled "Pastel Strokes."

If interested in taking the challenge, create a painting using the chosen monthly reference photo (posted below) and upload your painting for discussion within the thread.

You may paint and upload as many versions of the monthly reference photo as you would like and your artwork can be any size.

At the end of the month the thread/discussion will be closed and a new challenge will begin.

Monthly references will be selected by the guides and moderators.

This monthís reference photo is a landscape. I took this photo early last summer when the flowers were in bloom in my back yard. Letís see how all of you interpret this photo.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2006/1978-Summer_Flowers_for_June.jpg

sundiver
06-01-2006, 08:15 AM
Beautiful photo- can't wait to dig in!

(Although, there are those three studio paintings I've got started, and the two commissions, and the plein air project, and the WDE, and my day job..... oh, well, no housework this week then!:D)

Tressa
06-01-2006, 08:21 AM
I downloaded th pic Paula!! Looks great!!
Tres

scall0way
06-01-2006, 11:18 AM
OMG, :lol:. I love challenge projects like this, but all that grass, and green stuff...<shudder> Will have to give it a try.

wabbitt
06-01-2006, 12:09 PM
OMG. I love challenge projects like this, but all that grass, and green stuff...<shudder> Will have to give it a try.

I'm with you, Debbie. I'm not much for landscapes, I get hayfever just looking at the picture. :lol: But I will have to give it a try, too.

Paula Ford
06-01-2006, 12:19 PM
You guys are a hoot!! If you have trouble with the grass, maybe this will help http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316608

Paula

bjcpaints
06-01-2006, 01:22 PM
Oh thank you for that Demo Paula! I was getting nervous, but you make it look so easy - I am going to give it a try! BTW, Can you tell me what kind of flowers those are - is it Phlox? Easier to paint if I know what the actual shapes are.:wink2:
Barbara

Adriana Meiss
06-01-2006, 04:08 PM
Hi Paula,
I'm like Barbara, I need to know what's in the picture before I start a painting. The flowers look like some kind of daisy, and I think I recognize some obedient plant (pink-purplish). Are the orange plants grasses? Finally, what's in the background, a driveway or a river?
Thanks,
Adriana

Mikki Petersen
06-01-2006, 04:08 PM
Hi Paula! Count me in...lots to play with in this photo.

Mikki

maddy777
06-01-2006, 05:08 PM
cool bananas!
I know mine will look rubbish next to you lot but hey it's fun!! :D

Merethe T
06-01-2006, 07:18 PM
Hey, this looks like fun, think I'm gonna give it a try too...nice photo Paula!

Paula Ford
06-01-2006, 09:34 PM
Thanks you guys! I have no idea what the flowers are...sorry!! I think they are just little weed-flowers :D The orange colors are grasses.

Beyond the trees is a garage and a driveway.

Here in Tennessee, in the spring everything blooms in fall colors...strange! There are lots of shades of oranges and burgundys and beautiful thick green trees with lots of deep burnt oranges.

Have fun everybody!!

Paula

scall0way
06-01-2006, 09:53 PM
I know mine will look rubbish next to you lot but hey it's fun!! :D

:lol: I'm sure I'll join you in the rubbish heap! This is exactly the sort of picture I make a total hash of. I'm rotten with flowers, I'm rotten with grass, I'm rotten with trees. If I *must* do them I try to have a clearly-defined focus for the painting that catches ones eyes - so that the rotten grass, trees, and flowers don't really matter. But a *whole* painting of stuff I do badly? :eek:

Tressa
06-01-2006, 10:10 PM
First go round with oil pastels!!! I will be experimenting more with this, so this is first pic!! Tomorrow, I am going to try the warm palette knife on it, and turps.
Treshttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2006/76189-PICT0077.JPG

wabbitt
06-02-2006, 01:07 AM
That wasn't so painful afterall...oil pastels in my 5"x8" sketchbook.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2006/76057-strokz.JPG

artbyjune
06-02-2006, 01:29 AM
Those 2 OPs are great, Jlie and Tressa. (Must admit -I have never tried a hot palette knife. Now that's a good idea!)

I may try this project myself. Like others, I never do much in the way of landscapes but after seeing these, I am inspired to try...

sundiver
06-02-2006, 07:38 AM
Woo-hoo, two opies already! Good stuff, people! Now let's hear from some softies!
Here's my underpainting. Can I call it finished?:D lol. I thought I'd try a complementary underpainting. This is Createx pigment on a wc block, will end up 5x7 but is bigger now. Then I will put some clear sanded gesso over it. It will likely be oil pastels, or maybe softies, or maybe both. Can't decide!
I might not be able to get back to it for a few days.

Pat Isaac
06-02-2006, 08:48 AM
Great litlle OP pieces, Tressa and Julie. Wendy, what an interesting start. I just got some of those Createx pigments to try. Maybe this is the time. What is clear sanded gesso?

Pat

sundiver
06-02-2006, 02:52 PM
What is clear sanded gesso?
Pat

I mean Liquitex Clear Gesso or Golden acrylic ground for pastels. I just got the Liquitex recently and like it a lot so far. Art Spectrum clear primer is likely the same thing.

Mikki Petersen
06-02-2006, 03:44 PM
Great interpretations Julie and Tressa...nice and loose. Wendy that underpainting is quite spectacular on it's own. Can't wait to see what you do from here. I'm going to tackle my rendering in pastel today.

Mikki

Paula Ford
06-02-2006, 04:03 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

YAY!!! You guys are fast!!

Both the oilies are wonderful!! Tress, a warm pallette knife? How do you go about warming it up?

It is so interesting to see how others interpret the same photo.

How neat Wendy...the underpainting is so colorful already. Looking forward to seeing the next phase!!

Paula

Tressa
06-02-2006, 04:29 PM
LOL, candle...
Tres

hopalong
06-02-2006, 04:45 PM
Paula, Thanks so much for posting this challange. I'm going to dive in soon! Great photo!

ctmobitz
06-02-2006, 05:39 PM
Paula...

Sorry I posted in wrong place.....yikes!!! I will try my best and work on this great photo and project.....its been a while...

Regards,

Claude

Mikki Petersen
06-02-2006, 06:27 PM
Okay...here's my entry from the dry side. I took grand liberties with the ref but I'm happy with the result. Great little challenge, Paula.

9"x12" on recycled Wallis using mostly Giraults
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2006/14550-Tenn_view_2.JPG

This was a lot of fun and took only about 90 minutes...spped of light for me, lol.

Mikki

Kathryn Wilson
06-02-2006, 06:49 PM
Wow, you guys are fast! So much fun to see the OP's next to the softies again. Hope to join you sometime this month -

Tressa
06-02-2006, 07:11 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2006/76189-PICT0080.JPG
Here is the next experiment with the warm palette knife. It was weird, and made the paint waxy and slick...but I like it ok,
Tres

Mikki Petersen
06-02-2006, 08:13 PM
Tres, the process you describe sounds and looks like encaustic which is done with melted wax. If you think you might like to pursue this technique, an 3encaustic iron could be a good investment. I like the painting you achieved this way.

Mikki

Tressa
06-02-2006, 08:20 PM
Thanks Mikki, I really like your interpretation of Paula's pic, I LOVE the red tree!!!

This was just playing arond with Paula's challenge, but I don't think ops are for me. It was fun, but I was totally winging it, and I was o-kaay with the way they feel, but not as happy with them as my softies!!!:rolleyes: I just happened to get some of these in an e-bay assortment, so I experiment sometimes... I put a turp wash on it, and will see how that goes..I think that it is too much like the reasons I left oil painting..it's ok for just straight color, but I don't like the solvents!!
Tres

Mikki Petersen
06-02-2006, 09:10 PM
Thanks Tres! I have the same ambiguous feelings about the oil pastels. As for oil painting, I like the ability to mix up just the right color but it's not worth all those toxic chemicals.

Mikki

Paula Ford
06-02-2006, 10:58 PM
LOL, candle...
Tres

:o LOL :D I honestly had no idea LOL <rolling eyes...laughing at myself>

Lindsay, Can't wait to see your version!!

Claude, So nice to see you!!

Tres, Another wonderful version. I've never worked with oil pastels, but love softies so much, I have no urge to even try them.

Mikki, Your painting is lovely! Isn't it so much fun to have such a beautiful painting come from 90 minutes?

Paula

Pat Isaac
06-03-2006, 07:18 AM
Winging it or not Tressa this is a greeeat experiment and has a noce encaustic feel.
Beautiful little painting, Mikki.

Pat

hopalong
06-03-2006, 07:32 AM
Tres, I love the way you handled the foliage and the grasses. Beautiful!

Julie, how on earth did you get the flowers to look so detailed on such a small piece. Lovely!

I'm planning on joining in, but today we are going out with extended family. Catch you later!

hopalong
06-03-2006, 07:36 AM
Miki, you have created a wonderful sense of depth and light. The sun-struck edges are really beautifully handled. Love the purple in the deepest shade.

Wendy, can't wait to see. I love how you posted WIP! I wonder if Golden's groud will work for oilies too?

This is sooooo much fuuuunn!

Tressa
06-03-2006, 07:55 AM
Thanks everyone, but I really had no idea what I was doing:o
The wash of turp, I am not sure about!! I think I used too much, as is still looking "wet" hmm.. will play with it some more after the Expo today.

Paula, the knife thing I got from the lovely people on the oily side!! Someone over there was talking about it, so I figured I would try it, but had no idea how to go about it. so just "painted" like I would with a knife in oil paint!!:o

Next is a "SOFT" version!!
THIS IS FUN!!!!! :D
Tres

sundiver
06-03-2006, 01:16 PM
Wendy, can't wait to see. I love how you posted WIP! I wonder if Golden's groud will work for oilies too?
This is sooooo much fuuuunn!

Golden Pastel Ground is fine for opies; I use it all the time. I think I like the Liquitex better, more tooth.

Mikki, I like that crop; you give it a whole different mood, deep woodsy and a bit of mystery.

Tres, that knife thing is way cool. If you ever need a dust-free situation you've got a good touch with those oil pastels.

Julie, I'm glad it "wasn't so painful after all", and you did a nice job and can now add landscapes to your repetoire! And I have some Reactine if you need an antihistimine lol.

Last night I was doing the WDE and had to wait for the underpainting to dry, started working on this and couldn't seem to get stopped, so here it is, 6x8 o.p.s on the underptg posted earlier.Crits are welcome.
I interpreted the white flowers as Cow Parsley, also called sedge.Here's a pic of it.(Ok, mine look like mashed potatoes on a stick, I know, I know!:D)

Tressa
06-03-2006, 01:40 PM
Now, Wendy, You KNEW what you were doing!!!! :)
Looks GREAT!!!
Tres

Mikki Petersen
06-03-2006, 02:03 PM
Wendy, that is amazing! I never seem to keep much of my underpainting at the end of a piece but you have used yours to great advantage. I like how you turned those buildings back there into the illusion of a lake. WTG! And I looked but I couldn't find any mashed potatoes anywhere...only sedge.

Mikki

Pat Isaac
06-03-2006, 02:06 PM
Awesome, Wendy. It has such a nice airy, summery feel. We call those flowers Queen Ann's Lace down here.

Pat

paul444
06-03-2006, 02:53 PM
Hi, I saw this and thought I,d give it a try. Iworked on it on and off for the past two days. I used soft pastels on scrap book paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2006/82968-back_yard.jpg

Mikki Petersen
06-03-2006, 03:20 PM
Scrapbook paper? Now there's an interesting surface...anyway you have a faithful landscape going on here.

Mikki

Tressa
06-03-2006, 03:43 PM
Awesome, Wendy. It has such a nice airy, summery feel. We call those flowers Queen Ann's Lace down here.

Pat

THAT'S what I THOUGHT it was, but last time I tried to identify a flower, I was such a dope, so kept quiet on this one:lol:

Really nice Paul, scapbook paper, hmm...interesting.
Tres

Pat Isaac
06-03-2006, 04:45 PM
Nice springlike feel, Paul. What is it like to work on scrapbook paper??

Pat

Paula Ford
06-03-2006, 05:26 PM
Such gorgeous interpretations of this photo!!

Wendy, LOL, they don't look like mashed potatoe on a stick! LOL Yours is absolutely gorgeous!!

Paul, WOW, wonderful!!! Just plain wonderful work here!!! Thank you so much for joining us and sharing!

Paula

bjcpaints
06-03-2006, 06:37 PM
Wow - Wonderful variety of work here (too numerous to comment on individually)! I am glad I did not look at everyone's here before I did mine - I might have chickened out on posting! This was an experiment - gouache underpainting on 9 X 12 watercolor paper; let dry then used soft pastels - about 2 hours. I think I can fix it up a little better though!
Barbara

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2006/49636-paulaspic_-_underpainting.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2006/49636-pastel_strokes_june_2006.jpg

Tressa
06-03-2006, 07:19 PM
It's lovely, very soft, Barbara. Your leaves on the top left seem to be dancing!
Tres

Mikki Petersen
06-03-2006, 08:34 PM
Very good use of your underpainting here, Barbara, and your paintng is certainly the equal of any posted. No need to be humble.

Mikki

Harm Verbeek
06-04-2006, 08:48 AM
Hello,

I've tried to make an OP for this thread. I always think its hard to make a landscape, but i leatn a lot of all your paintings.

Pat Isaac
06-04-2006, 10:04 AM
I agree, great use of the underpainting, Barbara.
Harm, a very nice OP and landscapes make me nervous too.

Pat

Paula Ford
06-04-2006, 10:46 AM
Barbara, Your version is lovely and soft!

Harm, Wonderful strong colors in yours and I like how you added the distant trees! Very nice indeed!

Paula

sundiver
06-04-2006, 12:01 PM
Paul, wow, you got that on scrapbook paper! That's usually manila construction paper, difficult to use for pastels. Well done!
Barbara, the warmth of the underpainting really adds a punch to the grasses. How did you find working on gouache?
Harm, your oil pastel looks good! Hopefully that will encourage you to do more landscapes now!

Ok, this has not much to do with the thread, but since I posted misinformation I thought I should clear it up. Queen Anne's Lace and cow parsley and sedge are 3 different things. I couldn't remember the other name for cow parsley ( it's actually yarrow) so did a google image search, and realise now that someone had posted probably Queen Anne's Lace, and called it "cow parsley or sedge". So I did a proper google of official wildflower sites, and here are the three. Paula's photo is likely Queen Anne's Lace or yarrow.
All right, that's your botany lesson for today. Any questions?:D

paul444
06-04-2006, 01:08 PM
Hi, thank you all for your kind comments. I think everyone who has posted so far have done an excellent job. :thumbsup: So many variations from the same image.
I can't really comment on using scrapbook paper as I've only been using pastels a short while and only used two types of paper. Daler-Rowney ingres paper and an old scrapbook.

wabbitt
06-04-2006, 03:04 PM
Wow, thanks for the comments. Everyone's work is looking so nice and individual. Sorry, I don't have time to reply to the individual comments and pictures. I'm supposed to be getting ready to go out.

Hopalong: I was struggling with detail until that thread about tools came up. I have since bought oil pencils, but in this, when I used the oil pencils, I ended up scratching off (sgraffito) the OPs I had laid down already.

hopalong
06-04-2006, 05:58 PM
Hi Everyone! First I want to thank you for starting this thread! I really appreciate the opportunity to learn from a talented group!!

I am going to do this again. I'm new to ops and still feel like I'm drawing with a cookie (maybe a lady finger!) Loads of challange here for me and I'd really appreciate any help, suggestions, advice anyone cares to dish up.

Wendy, thanks for the lesson on flower identification! However, mine still get the "potatoe on a stick" award.

Julie, glad you got the walnut pencils. I just figured out (after I did the drawing for this thread;-( that you are supposed to use them first! I think this is the secret to getting detail down. This is all new to me so I'm just bumbling along with the excellent help of my fellow WCers! Also, if I do an under painting and want to scrape into an over lay of ops for detail, the under painting color has to be thought of first (duh!)

Anyway, here's my firs take.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2006/81895-pastelforumproject1a.jpg

Pat Isaac
06-04-2006, 06:43 PM
Thanks, Wendy for the botany lesson. They really did look like Queen Anne's Lace to me.
Lindsay, I use the OP pencils to do my initial drawing and then if I have any picky details I am able to use them last. Nice landscape. I might vary the line of the trees on the left so they are not in a straight line.

Pat

Tressa
06-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Great job everyone so far!! It is a lot of fun seeing the same pic in so many ways!!
Tres

Harm Verbeek
06-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Hello,

thanks for the comments

Adriana Meiss
06-04-2006, 08:22 PM
Hi guys,

This is my first sketch of Paulas's photo. I took me about 30 minutes (I'm trying to work fast in order to do plein air painting, and to loosen up a bit). It was done on a 7x10 black Art Spectrum sheet, using mostly my new Mungyos (BTW, I read a good review on these pastels from a WC member, and IMO, one or two more sky colors would have made the box perfect. These babies are gonna go with me everywhere this summer!). I used a GA for the white flowers.

Paula, thank you so much for the idea:thumbsup: . I'm enjoying seeing so many interpretations of your photo.

Thanks also to all of you who had submitted pictures. I wasn't planning on starting so soon but you guys gave me the push I needed.

Adriana
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2006/41853-WCJune2.JPG

Paula Ford
06-04-2006, 08:55 PM
Welcome Adriana! So nice to meet you!

WOW, I just love the oranges against the white flowers, and the blues and greens together in the trees...beautiful!!

Paula

Paula Ford
06-04-2006, 08:58 PM
Hi Lindsay :wave: Gee, I almost missed your little gem!! I love how you have shown the distance in your painting and your colors are just wonderful. Your style has a very abstract quality which is very nice. Thanks so much for sharing!

Paula

hopalong
06-04-2006, 09:31 PM
Thanks Pat! This was the same problem I had with my other landscape! (sound of forehead gently smacked)! THanks for a run down of your Pencil technique.

hopalong
06-04-2006, 09:31 PM
Thanks Paula!
Adriana, lovely work.

wabbitt
06-04-2006, 11:18 PM
Julie, glad you got the walnut pencils. I just figured out (after I did the drawing for this thread;-( that you are supposed to use them first! I think this is the secret to getting detail down. This is all new to me so I'm just bumbling along with the excellent help of my fellow WCers! Also, if I do an under painting and want to scrape into an over lay of ops for detail, the under painting color has to be thought of first (duh!)

I do have oil pencil and soft pastels in my underpainting but in order to give the delicate white flowers more form I did intentionally use oil pencil over the whites and ended up scraping into the white. It was looking good so I kept going. Oil pencil OVER oil pastels is not a bad thing. I also put in accents in the grass.

bjcpaints
06-05-2006, 10:52 AM
Harm, Lindsay and Adriana, I love the rich look of your OPs!
Mikki, Tres, Pat, Paula and Wendy - You are really giving me an ego boost! Thanks!
I like the gouache Wendy, and I went on to do a floral in it for the WDE - not great, but I am learning.
After showing this landscape to my Mom (83), she advised me to accent the highlights on the flowers and darken the stems - so I did and it looks much better. Great project Paula and thanks! I am looking forward to the next one!
Barbara

maddy777
06-05-2006, 02:07 PM
Ho hum I tried! :rolleyes:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2006/69100-springpic.jpg

edit_ sorry it looks so dark on here!!

Mikki Petersen
06-05-2006, 04:26 PM
Maddy, it's not ho-hum...it's a good solid effort and a nice painting. I like how you rearranged the elements to create your own comp.

Mikki

Pat Isaac
06-05-2006, 05:21 PM
Ditto to rearranging the composition. great!

Pat

Paula Ford
06-05-2006, 07:22 PM
Maddy, it's not ho-hum...it's a good solid effort and a nice painting. I like how you rearranged the elements to create your own comp.

Mikki

Absolutely!! I totally agree.

Paula

Adriana Meiss
06-05-2006, 09:06 PM
Paula, Lindsay, Barbara, thank you for your kind words.
Barbara, I love the ethereal look of your painting. I've yet to learn how to use an underpainting to its full advantage.
Adriana

maddy777
06-06-2006, 09:29 AM
Hi I made myself do a 20 min timed pic today! It's awful BUT I want to try not to spend hours on 1 little thing!!Lord only knows what I was doing with the bit between the flowers and the tree LOL
So here it is....:o :o :confused: :o :o http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2006/69100-spring_quickie.jpg

bjcpaints
06-06-2006, 10:29 AM
Maddy, I really like the big tree and love the flowers in your first one! It did not look too dark to me at all. The second one looks a bit washed out and from further away on a different day! How did you do that? Its like you were visiting Paula's backyard on 2 different days! LOL I am a very sloooow painter - cannot do it fast for any reason. 20 minutes is amazing!

Adriana, Thank you for your nice compliment. That was my first gouache underpainting. I have tried with acrylics before, but not for pastel painting.
Hey, I am not too far from Syracuse!
Barbara

Mikki Petersen
06-06-2006, 10:29 AM
Maddy...well, I'm impressed! You created that in 20 minutes? I would not have considered the middle ground there if you hadn't drawn attention to it. Since you have, consider dropping a few flowers up into the tree line. If you look closely at the ref, the flowers do overlap a bit. This adds movement from the lower half to the upper half. Otherwise, if you look at my version and many of the others, there are places in the painting that are "vague" and that's okay...less is more, ya know?

Mikki

Paula Ford
06-06-2006, 12:24 PM
Syracuse is just about my home town. I was born and raised in Herkimer (near Utica), went to Cazenovia College (and Nazareth in Rochester) and then spent many years living in Syracuse and working in a wonderful accounting firm downtown and then another accounting firm in Liverpool.

Maddy, That is a result from 20 minutes? WOW, it is super. I especially love that big tree on the right and the flowers...very pretty and soft. Also, I like how you put the peaches in the sky and made the whole painting a farther away perspective. Now, that's artistic license!! :D

Paula

Deborah Secor
06-06-2006, 02:19 PM
Here's my version. You all inspired me! I love the lushness of the place after dry ole New Mexico. I had this long thin piece of reclaimed Wallis that was begging to be used. I took the photo into Photoshop and noodled with it, which is usually part of my thinking process for any painting, then came up with this:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2006/23609-June_PS.jpg

June, 4.5"x9"

This is a lot of fun! Thanks for hosting it, Paula. I love seeing all the results.

Deborah

Adriana Meiss
06-06-2006, 02:47 PM
Beborah, I like the rhythm in your painting, and the fresh colors you used.
Barbara, How close to Syracuse are you?
Paula, too bad you do not live here anymore:( . Let me know if you ever come back this way, I would love to meet you in person.
Maddy, ditto to what Barbara said. I like your first one more simply because I like shady places.

Pat Isaac
06-06-2006, 03:40 PM
I really like the horizontal format of this, Dee. Nice and sunny.

Pat

maddy777
06-06-2006, 04:36 PM
Deborah Gorgeous!!
Thanks for your comments guys you are all far far too kind.

sundiver
06-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Lindsay(great little opie), Adriana(love the bright grasses), Maddy (not ho-hum at all),and Deborah (you do lush as well as dry), well done!
This is fun! Thanks for getting this started, Paula!

Mikki Petersen
06-06-2006, 08:54 PM
Deborah, your version is intriguing because of the quite different set of colors to what the rest of us have done. I also like the rolling hillside effect. This really is great fun to see all the different interpretations.

Mikki

hopalong
06-07-2006, 07:49 AM
Deborah, lovely job on re arranging the backround. Love the composition.
Maddy I can't believe you did this is so short a period of time! I like your hi key interpretation.

BeckyMc
06-07-2006, 08:35 AM
Thanks for doing this Paula - it's been great to see all of the different paintings from the same photo. Here's my painting - I did it this weekend, but had to wait for the OPs to dry enough to scan. It was the only thing I got to do for myself the entire weekend, so I only spent about an hour on it! It's so hot here that even my LeGrand OPs are very soft and melty. :eek:

This is 10x13, but by scanner cropped it to 9x12 - Sennelier Oil Pastels

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jun-2006/45982-PaulasBackyard.jpg

Pat Isaac
06-07-2006, 08:39 AM
This is just great, Becky. Looks like a rich oil painting. The soft OPs added a nice texture.

Pat

hopalong
06-07-2006, 10:37 AM
Becky, I love how you have really captured a sense of depth here. Lovely use of lights too.

Paula Ford
06-07-2006, 12:07 PM
Deborah, How lovely your painting is!! I just love how you put the hill in the background and I love all the darks you've used...just beautiful!!

Adriana, That would be so wonderful to meet you! Believe me, I miss Upstate NY more than anything and wish I could move back!

Becky! Look at all those luscious colors! I love how loose your style is! Beautiful interpretation!

Paula

KA Obee
06-07-2006, 09:36 PM
Becky, I love it!
I just did an underpainting on watercolor paper. Then I realized I did it on SMOOTH watercolor paper! WHAT was I thinking??? Thankfully I just bought a jar of colorfix clear primer, so I'll give it a coat once it dries and go for it.
I have no idea what I did with my camera or I'd post a shot of the underpainting. It's kind of cool - complimentary colors. Hmmm - I'm going to look for the camera while the paint dries.
KA

KA Obee
06-07-2006, 10:06 PM
Here it is - just the underpainting. I'm about to coat it with colorfix and hopefully I will have time to try something with the pastels tomorrow night. (...after the kids baseball game.)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jun-2006/65077-P1010041.JPG

E-J
06-08-2006, 11:26 AM
You have all done a wonderful job with Paula's reference: Mikki, Barbara, Deborah, Paul, Julie, Maddy (what's that textured support you're using?), Harm (like your warm grass colours), Adriana, Lindsay (good work for an OP noob!!), Becky (lovely ... looks like an oil painting), and Wendy and Tres (very different-looking approaches with the OPs).

This looks like quite a challenge. I've saved the pic and am hoping to fit in a rare pastel session sometime in the next few days - probably in OPs - though I have failed spectacularly to produce anything for the last few riots and projects I so enthusiastically announced I'd be taking part in ... Don't go holding your breath, but I do HOPE to be posting something soon!

KA Obee
06-08-2006, 12:10 PM
E-J,
I'll race you! :evil: Let's see which one of us actually gets something done for this. I'm still holding out hope that I'll get some pastel time in tonight.:rolleyes:
KA:)

Kathryn Wilson
06-08-2006, 05:07 PM
Y'all been doing some great work in here - I love seeing all the different approaches to this Project.

I flipped the photo horizontally just to give it something different - and took out a whole lot of trees.

Ooops, forgot - this took about 2 hours on LaCarte - I have no idea how people get such detailed, sharp edges on this paper. My supply is at last dwindling and I will not invest in this paper again.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2006/14941-June_Project2.jpg

Pat Isaac
06-08-2006, 05:14 PM
Great take on the photo, Kat and I am definitely with you as far as La Carte goes. Want some of mine?

Pat

Kathryn Wilson
06-08-2006, 05:25 PM
LOL - Nope! Anyone want some free LaCarte? I have about 4-5 small sheets left. And I imagine that Tressa is feeling the same way about now - she's had an accident with a WIP on this paper.

hopalong
06-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Lovely job Kat. Your strokes are so simple and discriptive too!

Deborah Secor
06-08-2006, 06:11 PM
I'd take it, Kat! :D

Deborah

Tressa
06-08-2006, 08:13 PM
hahaha!!! I just bought a WHOLE PACKAGE of the stuff at the ART EXPO!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Tres

Bhavana Vijay
06-08-2006, 09:49 PM
What a great idea paula!! Have been enjoying all the paintings so far.Its so interesting to watch everyones intepretations.

I leave for my long vacation next week but i am going to try and sneak in some painting in between all that packing and shopping!:evil:

EJ congratulations!:D

Kathryn Wilson
06-08-2006, 10:35 PM
Thanks Pat and Hopalong for your comments - it is fun to take a photo and change the look of it.

KA Obee
06-08-2006, 10:38 PM
Here is what I did with that underpainting. I used nupastel and Mt. Visions on watercolor paper coated with colorfix primer.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2006/65077-P1010042.JPG

I've never been able to 'get it' when it comes to landscape painting. Even if it's from a photo, I find it extremely difficult. I have such great admiration for those of you who can do this subjectmatter. This is a great exercise though because now I can go back and look at the paintings that 'worked' and see what those artists did that I liked, and think about why I liked it and why it worked.
Should I have gotten rid of the red bushes? :confused: Hmmm...
KA

Muffin_4377
06-09-2006, 02:07 AM
Here's mine.....:)

Worked on it today during the VPON paintout and a little after dinner.
I plucked out those red trees and gave ya a river.....

8"x11" on a scrap of Canson....mix of SP's, mostly Rems & Ludwigs....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2006/36417-June06_Pastel_Strokes.JPG

KA Obee
06-09-2006, 07:44 AM
Dania,
Now THAT'S a landscape! :clap:
I think that one of the reasons your painting is so beautiful is you've made decisions about what you want to show, and you've gone with it.
My painting looks confused to me.:eek:
I think that's because I wasn't really sure what the story was I was trying to tell.
I may have to try this again, and this time make some clear choices.
I really like what you did there - I think the red flowers in the front are a wonderful way of translating the redish area in the front of the photo.
Good job!
:) KA

hopalong
06-09-2006, 08:03 AM
KA, you are sooooo right. I think landscapes are hard too. I'm working on trying not to be so literal.
I love all the diferent shape of strokes you have in your painting. Def keep the red trees. Maybe use a little yellow on the sun struck side instead of white?
Diana, I can tell you've had your artistic licence for a long time. You drive so well!

Paula Ford
06-09-2006, 01:49 PM
Kat, Your version is lovely!! I really like the directional strokes. Elizabeth Mowry often does that.

I know what you mean about LaCarte. I don't like it either...packing mine up soon and sending it to Chewie. (No, Chewie, I haven't forgotten about you!! :D )

Thanks Bhavij! Where are you going on vacation? Have a wonderful time. Hope you get to do some painting before you go.

KA, Your painting is very expressive and very abstract in feel. I really like the colors you've used and no, I don't think you should get rid of the red bushes.My painting looks confused to me. I think that's because I wasn't really sure what the story was I was trying to tell. I may have to try this again, and this time make some clear choices. That's a great idea KA. I like your way of thinking and analyzing.

Dania, What a lovely version yours is. Love the lake! Nice touch. I get the feeling of a nice warm breeze on a summer's day.

Paula

Tressa
06-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Kyle, I really like your version!! And flipped!! Cool!!

KA, I like your also, and the underpainting was neat!!
Everyone else has done great also!!
This has been a really great challenge!!
Sadly, the turp wash ruined my OP, but I will do a softie if I have time!!
Tres

Kathryn Wilson
06-09-2006, 09:19 PM
I know you guys are gonna think I am crazy, but I just love my red bush with the blue "bush holes" showing through to the lake. I love that negative space - something I'd not done before that successful.

So see, you can learn something with every painting that you do.

ctmobitz
06-09-2006, 09:47 PM
Paul..

Very nice work....AWESOME !!!

Regards, Claude

KA Obee
06-09-2006, 10:22 PM
Here is tonightís effort. Itís not quite Ďthereí yet, (composition really needs work - and then there's those two wacky red bushes right in the middle of everything - what's up with those? :envy: Why can't I make them look right?) ...But definitely more decisive than last nights confused mess.:p Iím so gratified to see some growth in my work with this little challenge. Thanks so much for posting this one Paula!:thumbsup:

This is on 9x12 black Canson Mi-Teintes , Mt. Visions. About 30 Ė 45 minutes.

KA

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2006/65077-P1010043.JPG

Mikki Petersen
06-10-2006, 02:04 AM
Becky, that is a beautiful painting and definitely looks like an oil painting. How all of you Opies do such beautiful work in that medium escapes me...my efforts are not great with them.

Kat, I really like your version...such bright springy colors! and I definitely agree with you about your sky holes...lovely!

KA, your first post looked a bit scattered but still a good effort for one who is not used to painting landscapes. I really LIKE the second effort! And whatever is up with those two red bushes, you made them work for you.

Dania, your version is very restful much like the mood of the photo.

This is great fun! Thanks again Paula!
Mikki

Paula Ford
06-10-2006, 07:41 AM
KA, WOW, now that is a wonderful vibrant version! LOVE the colors in this one. Your style in unmistakable.

Paula
(Thanks everybody!!)

hopalong
06-10-2006, 08:19 AM
This is my second crack at the image. I brought it along to my oil pastel class that started yesterday:clap: :clap: Over in the oil pastel forum, I shared what I learned in class in case you are interested.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2006/81895-georges_class1afixed.JPG

Tressa
06-10-2006, 08:23 AM
Lovely Lindsay!!

Ka, I think is great!!

KA Obee
06-10-2006, 08:35 AM
Lindsay, Your interpretation is just beautiful! I am so impressed by the OP's here. I'm going to have to go check out that studio page.
Thanks Tres, Paula and Mikki for your kind comments. This project is a perfect learning tool for me at this point.
It's raining again, and windy here this morning, so I guess I'll just have to continue working from photos for now. So I'm very happy I finally discovered where that elusive RIF area is!
KA:)

Kathryn Wilson
06-10-2006, 09:35 AM
Lindsay, good job with the OP's - they aren't the easiest medium to learn, so hang in there and figure out what works for you. Taking a class is a good first step -

Mikki Petersen
06-10-2006, 02:57 PM
Lindsay, your painting is lovely! Isn't it fun to take classes and have real artists all around you sharing ideas and info?

Mikki

hopalong
06-10-2006, 03:16 PM
Mikki, it sure is fun. There are some real hot shots in class too. But I soooo appreciate my WC friends too! Have gotten tons of help here!

Mikki Petersen
06-10-2006, 04:47 PM
Yes, Lindsay, Wet Canvas is so important for all of us.

Mikki

scall0way
06-10-2006, 06:46 PM
Hurray! I finally can get to look at everyone's works! I've been wanting to, but have held off as I wanted to try this myself, and didn't want to be influenced by anyone else's interpretation. But lack of free time, and a bit of an aversion to the subject (too much grass! too many trees! too many flowers! nothing I CAN do easily!) held me back. I'm redoing my bedroom and feel that every free minute should be spent stripping wallpaper or spackling or painting. But today, taking a little time while the spackle dried - I decided to tackle this subject.

I'm not as unhappy with the result as I'd expected to me,though the flowers elude me. The flowers are in an ugly little clump, but I had to stop as I was on brain overload and had no idea what to do with them. Any suggestions welcome. Here's what I've done so far, and NOW I'll go back and see what everyone else has done. All lovely I'm sure. :D

Note this is on a 12x16 sheet of white Canson, smooth side, mostly NuPastels but a few Rembrandts. About 45 minutes to an hour.

scall0way
06-10-2006, 07:00 PM
Wow, now that I went ahead and posted mine I went back and looked at everyone else's! Too many to comment on individually, sadly, but what fun I had looking at them all, and seeing all the different interpretations people used. I especially love that gorgeous lake or river, and the wonderful red flowers, in Dania's. How long did you spend on it?

Mikki Petersen
06-10-2006, 10:03 PM
Debbie, you did it! that is certainly a landscape with grass, trees flowers and lots of green things. You even imagined a mountian into the background. I knew you could do it.

Mikki

KA Obee
06-10-2006, 10:21 PM
Hi Debbie,

Wonderful job!!! I like what you did very much. You even figured out how to handle those red bushes - you gave them some structure which really works.:clap:

I think maybe if you scattered a few flowers off to the right side, to soften up the shape of the group of flowers, that might strengthen the composition. (Like you did on the left side of the group.) But please don't take my word on that - wait and see what the experienced landscape painters have to say. I am totally new at this!

Now, I have to ask; Are you over your fear of green things? I'm just starting to overcome my fear, but I still approach this subject matter with great trepidation.:p

Great job! I'm very impressed!
KA

lwood
06-11-2006, 01:54 PM
Hi everyone. I'm new here. Never posted anything before. Hope you don't mind I join the party.

I'm going to show you my version of this. This is with Rembrant pastels on some cheap sketch paper. The paper was problematic but in keeping with the spirit of these exercises, I tryed to do this fast and sketchy.

I'm new to landscapes, this being my first, so if you see any obvious blunders or have a pointers about this just let them fly. I really do want to learn more about landscape in pastel.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2006/82092-Landscape2.jpg

Piper Ballou
06-11-2006, 02:23 PM
lwood..welcome to wetcanvas, you will really like it here, everyone is so friendly and helpful...I love the looseness of your painting- I am not very good at landscapes, think I have to paint every leaf and every blade of grass, setting a time limit helps me to stay loose

here is my version....the red trees bother me
piper

Mikki Petersen
06-11-2006, 03:17 PM
Hi lwood and welcome to our little world here. I like your first landscape...it has a somewhat surreal quality that focuses on shapes...very nice.

Piper, your version is beautiful. You handled the red trees well by making them more purple which blends them well into your choice of palette. I like this alot.

Mikki

scall0way
06-11-2006, 07:05 PM
Now, I have to ask; Are you over your fear of green things? I'm just starting to overcome my fear, but I still approach this subject matter with great trepidation.:p

LOL, no, I have to say I'm still not over my fear in the least! Still a terrifying struggle. :D

Hi Piper. I like your version, very soft and muted. Nicely done.

Welcome lwood. I'm the last one to give advice about landscapes, but yours has a rather serene and otherwordly feel to it which I enjoy, and I like your greens.

Paula Ford
06-11-2006, 09:54 PM
Lindsay, You sure made that photo into your own style. Lovely work! It almost looks like watercolors.

Debbie, Now that is a beautiful landscape! Very well done! I just love your oranges.

Hello lwood...Welcome!! Lovely soft painting you've done. Love the directional strokes. It looks very abstract/folk-art- like, if you know what I mean. Very different style you have!

Piper, I just love how soft and warm your painting looks. Very nice job!! Yours is very loose.

Paula

KA Obee
06-11-2006, 10:08 PM
Hi Paula,

Check it out; If my count is correct there are 23 photos of paintings posted here so far! And it's only the 11th of the month! Looks to me like you have a hit with this! I can hardly wait for the next project!

Actually, July is going to be crazy for me, so... comm'on, can't you post it now????? (I have absolutely no patience. Could you tell?)

Piper Ballou
06-11-2006, 11:19 PM
thanks everyone, this has been a fun thread to watch and then see everyone as they finished...I am like KA, sitting back and waiting for next month's
piper

Paula Ford
06-12-2006, 05:37 AM
Hi Paula,

Check it out; If my count is correct there are 23 photos of paintings posted here so far! And it's only the 11th of the month! Looks to me like you have a hit with this! I can hardly wait for the next project!

Actually, July is going to be crazy for me, so... comm'on, can't you post it now????? (I have absolutely no patience. Could you tell?)

LOL...I'm sworn to secrecy!!!

So glad everbody loves this!

Paula

lwood
06-12-2006, 07:30 AM
Thanks everyone for the nice welcome and encouragement on my effort. I've not yet studied nature too much so I expect this will be quite the experience. Everyone here has done some spendid studies. The pastel seems so well suited for the loose style and randomness of nature.

I've discovered through my own efforts that finding the order in a seemingly chaotic scene is the first skill to master in the landscape. Nature has a flow with endless fascination. Perhaps this is the attraction with landscapes?

Kathryn Wilson
06-12-2006, 08:51 AM

How about trying a new version? Limited palette, different composition, turn day into night, add some people or animals?

Usually summer is a slow time on Wet Canvas and we decided that one photo a month would get us through the "slows". Next month a different Pastel Forum staff member will be uploading a new photo, and each month thereafter, until folks get tired of it. :D

In the meantime, there is always the Weekly Drawing Events in the All Media Events forum - they do something similar, but post more photos and you have only a week to work on them.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133

robertofoakdale
06-12-2006, 07:31 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2006/54616-june12.jpg

Hello to this group. I was looking around in Wetcanvas and found your interesting site. I am very new to both WC and pastels, usually working in watercolor but have been interested in doing more pastel work since my son gave me some soft pastels. This really peaked (or is it tweeked?) my interest, to see what others would do with the same reference. As you see I took license with your photo, which to me is fun. I never could color inside the lines. You have all created wonderful paintings and all so very individual. If you let me come back, I'll try this again next challenge.

Bob

KA Obee
06-12-2006, 08:57 PM
Whoa! Bob that's awesome! I love what you've done with the image. The fence is a great way to frame the view and give it a sense of depth. You can use your creative license any time around here!
I just love seeing the different ways people interpret the image - it's fascinating.
Please stick around the pastel forum. I think you'll have great fun here and will learn loads, and from what I can see here, you'll teach loads too.

KA

Paula Ford
06-12-2006, 09:24 PM
Hi Bob! Welcome!

I just love the colors and the way your background has a hazy morning feel to it. I also love the sunlit tree and beautiful orange grasses against the fushia. WOW...the fence is a great addition.

I started my version tonight...about 1 1/2 hours into it and about half way there. Can't wait to show all of you.

Paula

Mikki Petersen
06-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Whoa! Bob that is beautiful! Love all those bold colors! So glad you took time to join us. Welcome!

Mikki

*Violet*
06-13-2006, 01:38 AM
omg ... i finally started mine and half an hour or so into it i stepped away from it to take a break and thought ... hmmmm ... has anyone posted yet? ... and *wowsers* .... i check online and am flabbergasted by the 9 pages of posts !! ... i buzzed through 'em and am totally amazed by what's been submitted (and now realizing how much further mine has yet to go !!! ... lol) ... it'll be my 2nd landscape but first project submission here ... fun !! ... and you all are great inspirations ... i'll try and get mine in in the next couple of days and see what y'all think but you are a tough act to follow for sure !! ... great group !! ... tomorrow i must go back and read the posts and take more time checking them out as the efforts submitted deserve that for sure ... and then, and only then will i get back to mine ... again, what fun this is! ... thx for setting it up, submitting the reference pic and for everyone's involvement!! ... bfn ...

Karen Margulis
06-13-2006, 04:55 PM
Wow!! What a great job everyone has done. I wish I had time to comment on each one! I looked in on the first day and I have missed so much! I love looking at everyone's interpretation of Paula's photo. I am going to give it a try tonight at pastel class. So we'll see what happens!

Karen

Karen Margulis
06-14-2006, 09:14 AM
I got a chance to work on my version last night. It was a fun challenge and I think I will try another version...I have an idea! This one is 11x14 on white wallis. I'm looking forward to seeing more!

Karen

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2006/53551-sanibel.jpg

Mikki Petersen
06-14-2006, 01:45 PM
Karen, you've done a beautiful painting here. I love the misty effect you achieved. Brings a whole new romance to the subject.

Mikki

Bhavana Vijay
06-14-2006, 06:49 PM
Checked back today and is there is more gorgeous work here!!
I finally finished mine today.I started last week, did the tree and the bushes and finished the foreground this morning.
Landscapes are TOUGH!!! I think my hand is too rigid for it. Anyway i tried and it was fun!:D
This took about 80 mins.

Thanks Bhavij! Where are you going on vacation? Have a wonderful time. Hope you get to do some painting before you go.

Thanks Paula.:) We are going to India for 6 weeks! I am going to really miss painting and of course WC.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2006/70937-pastelstrokes.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
06-14-2006, 06:55 PM
Keep up the good work guys - too many to comment on individually, but I love seeing all these versions. Keep 'em coming!

Mikki Petersen
06-14-2006, 07:12 PM
very nice landscape, Bhavana. It does not look rigid to me at all...in fact, it seems very soft and dreamy.

Mikki

Paula Ford
06-14-2006, 08:30 PM
Wow Karen...lovely! I just love your landscapes. They always look soft and romantic.

Bhavana, I love how vibrant, yet soft, your landscape is. Beautiful work!! Have a wonderful time in India!

Paula

Paula Ford
06-16-2006, 11:17 PM
Hi Everybody :wave:

Well, here is my version (finally!). 9"x12", assorted softies, Wallis paper.

This has been such a great project. I truly love everyone's contributions!! Thank you all so much! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Paula

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2006/1978-myversion4wc.jpg

*Violet*
06-16-2006, 11:29 PM
lovely, paula ... a tuff act to follow for sure ... mine is still on the drawing board ... and for the life of me i still cannot see a drive way or garage in that reference pic !! ... lol ... i too see water in there and mine will be similar to those posted that felt similarly ... again, yours is just lovely ... your flowers *dance* and your trees *sing* ... at least to me ... 8v)

Pat Isaac
06-17-2006, 06:59 AM
What a beautiful piece, Paula. Now that I'm back I'm back I hope to get one started.

Pat

E-J
06-17-2006, 09:35 AM
WOW, Paula! It's gorgeous!

hopalong
06-17-2006, 09:33 PM
Paula, my oil pastel teacher said to look for the poetry in trees. Your trees have poetry! Lovely painting. And thanks again for starting this project for both softies and oilies.

Karen Margulis
06-17-2006, 09:48 PM
Beautiful painting Paula! I love to see your work! Thanks again for starting this project.

Karen

KA Obee
06-17-2006, 10:49 PM
Paula!
That is just beautiful!!!!!
KA

Paula Ford
06-18-2006, 04:31 PM
Thanks so much you guys and you are very welcome! I've just loved this project. It's been so much fun.

Paula

lwood
06-19-2006, 02:13 PM
It is really nice seeing all these really well done interpretations of what seems to be a fairly plain photograph. Amazing stuff.

maddy777
06-20-2006, 04:31 AM
E-J it's Winsor newton paper. Haven't used it before but i prefer it to the ingres.

maddy777
06-20-2006, 04:36 AM
Bob Shultz, very nice painting and it is piqued not peaked or tweeked :D

maddy777
06-20-2006, 04:38 AM
kmar that is 1 gorgeous soft painting.

Sorry for the 3 posts guys, was doing quickies as I went!

David Patterson
06-20-2006, 01:55 PM
WOW! Glad you steered me over here Paula. There are really some great renditions of your back yard in here. My favorites are yours and Deborah's. Beautiful. Competition bound, right?:thumbsup:

David

stonewhiteclown
06-20-2006, 04:58 PM
Great job everyone! Some very original interpretations here.

I printed out the photo some time ago and only yesterday got started. Okay this is mine. Must be about 2 hours worth.
8x5.5" oil pastels on darkish gray Fabriano Tiziano
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jun-2006/30926-OP_200606_strokes_wc.jpg

Paula, thanks for leading this project. It's quite fun.

I see I'm not alone here who ended up with water in the background lol.

michellej
06-20-2006, 07:51 PM
hi how is everyone? :wave:
just popping in for a quick look-see, with the hopes of taking part and posting. Anyone wants to take on the task of making another day in the week?:eek:

*Violet*
06-21-2006, 08:58 PM
ok ... many days and too many hours later :eek: !! ... :lol: ... *my* stab at the june/06 pastel project ... i still feel like i'm *colouring* in grade school :lol: !! ... this is only my 2nd landscape in pastels and maybe that's why it takes me so long to do one ... :) .... it's 8"x10" done on blue Canson Mi-Tientes with CarbOthelo pencils, Nupastels, Daler-Rowneys, and Reeves ... technique-wise i'm experimenting trying to do things i have learned from all you folk with your wips and descriptions of what and how you do what you do ... thank you so much for doing that ... one day i hope to feel confident with this medium ... here it is ...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jun-2006/46454-wildflowers_wc0606p_SM.jpg :wave:

michellej
06-21-2006, 10:09 PM
Okay, hi again:wave:

I have done it!:D What I don't know. I still feel a sense of success because i have not touched a piece of pastel in months.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jun-2006/69167-Art_Portfolio_059.jpg
It's pastel bord coated with art spectrum colourfix. I used Daler-Rowney, Windsor-Newton softs and Sennelier. hope it meets with your approval.:) Sorry. I have yet to master photoshop:o

Paula Ford
06-22-2006, 07:47 PM
Oh my Goodness, look at all the gorgeous paintings!

Alex, Your version in oil pastels is so pretty! It looks like there is a light breeze on a nice warm summer day.

Violet, Yours is bold and beautiful! Great colors and I like how you put the lake and mountains in the background.

Michelle, You should feel a sense of success because yours is just lovely! I love the blue-greens! The painting makes me feel the sun is just going down, the wind has died down and it's the perfect time of day to sit and relax.

Beautiful work everbody!!

Paula

McSheri
06-22-2006, 11:32 PM
Thank you for the opportunity to join a group and try something new. I used Wallis paper and underpainted with oils, using a color shaper for texture. Then, I sprayed this surface with terpinoid. When dry, I glazed in color, then dragged a sponge brush over some areas, with the effect looking almost like a rubbing. It was fun to try something new:)
McSheri

Piper Ballou
06-22-2006, 11:46 PM
Hi Sheri, Glad to see you here and how much fun did you have using oils for an underpainting....turned out nice.
I think you are the only one that noticed that there is actually a fence in the photo
piper

Pat Isaac
06-23-2006, 09:48 AM
Just got back to this thread after a few days and there are more wonderful paintings. It is so great to see all the different interpretations.

Pat

scall0way
06-23-2006, 10:42 AM
What a fun thread this is. I just love seeing what everyone has done with this picture. It inspires me to try harder next month! :D

michellej
06-23-2006, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the comments Paula.That is actually my favourite time of day.
I also like your work Sherri. It's kind of misty and airy. This was fun.:clap: What's next? Raring to go here.

robertofoakdale
06-24-2006, 01:06 PM
Okay, hi again:wave:

I

Sorry. I have yet to master photoshop:o

hope you don't mind Michell i thought I'd see if i could bring out your photo of your painting because I had difficulty seeing it. Terrific painting .http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jun-2006/54616-69167-Art_Portfolio_0591.jpg

*Violet*
06-24-2006, 06:50 PM
lovely !! ... is it possible to create a thread with *just* everyone's paintings? ... a *gallery* for june/06?

Paula Ford
06-24-2006, 09:48 PM
McSheri, Your painting is very soft and warm looking. It sure took a lot of work, which turned out GREAT!

Paula

fortysomething
06-26-2006, 12:48 PM
Hello everyone! I've been having "technical" difficulties for a while, but I think I'm back now. This has been such a fun thread- so many different paintings! I liked Mikki's crop, so I copied her idea. (shoulda copied the whole thing:D ) Thanks for the June challenge Paula. I'll try to be a little more timely for July's project. Anyway- here's your backyard.:wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2006/64375-PaulasBackyard.jpg

I have a new computer, imaging programs & everything else, so this may not look so hot. I have no idea how to use any of it yet. (Ugh. Yep, it looks pretty bad.)

-Lisa

Paula Ford
06-26-2006, 05:17 PM
:wave: Hi Lisa

LOVELY! I feel like there is a storm brewing in the background, but there is still sun shining on the flowers. I just love how moody the painting is. Really terrific job!! :thumbsup:

Paula

Tressa
06-26-2006, 08:29 PM
This was a really fun project!! Here is my last one of this, and it is now in the home of a lovely couple!!! :D Tres
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2006/76189-today2118.jpg

Pat Isaac
06-26-2006, 08:35 PM
Unusual take on this Tres. Reminds me of Fall in New England.
Lisa, lovely and I agree with Paula about the storm.

Pat

KA Obee
06-26-2006, 08:37 PM
Tress,
Beautiful job! I love the subtle colors and the way you rendered the light on the tree. Very very nice!
Isn't it wonderful seeing everyone's different takes on the same subject. I just love this project!
KA

sundiver
06-26-2006, 10:05 PM
I got really busy with RL and then forgot about the Pastel Strokes. Wow! This was a smashing success! I was going to try to respond to each post, but there are way too many, so to all of you::clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

AnnieA
06-26-2006, 11:33 PM
After some fussing around with my browser, I'm finally able to access long threads such as this one, although it takes forever! (I need to upgrade my computer's memory - it's now on the ever-growing list of things I must have.)

I'm so impressed by all the paintings here. So many ways to look at the same scene! Everyone's take is a little different...it's fascinating to see them all - they're all so individual. I'll need to do that memory upgrade before I can start replying to individual posts...hope you all will be patient with me until then.

So I'm taking the plunge on this project, even if I am quite late. What a wonderful backyard, Paula! It looks like an exciting project to start on - thanks for this.

I downloaded the image and did a little editing:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2006/85002-Edited_project_photo.jpg

As you can see, I'm using Maddy's idea about rearranging the composition to show more water (even if it's not really there!). Thanks for that Maddy! :thumbsup: To do so, I had to remove the reddish tree in the middle, which I turned into a reddish shrub at the middle right. I also added some more flowers in the lower right. This image won't be exactly how it all turns out, but it gives me a place to start.

And I changed it to B&W to take a look at the values:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2006/85002-Edited_project_photo_BW_UploadSize.jpg

Well, now all I have to do is face that intimidating empty piece of paper and...paint! :music:

AnnieA
06-28-2006, 01:23 AM
Ok...so I worked on this on and off all day. Twice, I wiped everything down entirely. I really do have a lot to learn. I finally opened up a painting thread by Dee_Artist, and studied how she did things, and that helped. So thanks, Deborah, and if anyone else wants to take a look at that thread, here it is (Simple Stream Demonstration): http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331772
(You'll note I haven't really gotten to the water part of my painting yet, but it's a good thread for studying how an expert does trees and grasses, too.)

So here is where I started, with an underpainting on Art Spectrum:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jun-2006/85002-June_Pastel_project_underpainting.jpg
I know this isn't really the proper way to do an underpainting, but the last painting I did, I had problems with the sky holes looking very much painted on on top of the trees, so I wanted to try this sort of approach out. I also, in an effort at looseness, decided to try to work without much of a drawing. Big mistake.

And here's where I am now...a lot further to go, as you can see. I just seemed to have so many problems deciding on the colors to use, and just getting the pastel on the paper seemed difficult. It took hours to get to where I am now.

::sigh::

But I guess you can't learn without making mistakes, huh? (btw, sorry as the pic is quite out of focus. It looked ok in the tiny thumbnail in my camera. As I'm rather frustrated with it, and because it isn't much to look at at this point anyway, I didn't bother reshooting the image.)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jun-2006/85002-June_Pastel_project_WIP.jpg

There are things in there that I don't really yet know how to solve, but tomorrow's another day, and I'll work on it more later. Despite the problems, I feel a lot better about it now than I did earlier today. I was so frustrated with it!

Tressa
06-28-2006, 07:55 AM
From what I can see, you are coming along great Annie, hang in there :) And WC is a GREAT place to learn, and Dee is a wonderful example, along with LOTS of others!!
Tres

hopalong
06-28-2006, 08:46 AM
Lisa, Lovely take on the piece. Very storm like. I wonder if you live on the East Coast like Pat....Storms, rain, plagues??
Tres, congrats on having your work in someone elses home! Loved the atumnal look
Annie, great process shots. Love how you used photo shop to rearange the image.
Next month's coming up and I can't wait for a new one!!

AnnieA
06-28-2006, 02:29 PM
Meant to edit, but posted twice. See the next message.

AnnieA
06-28-2006, 02:38 PM
From what I can see, you are coming along great Annie, hang in there :)

Why thanks, Tressa. It sure didn't feel like that while I was struggling yesterday. I felt like such a klutz...just couldn't get the pastel to go on the paper, it seemed. :confused:

And WC is a GREAT place to learn, and Dee is a wonderful example, along with LOTS of others!!

You're certainly right about all the people to learn from here! I just can't believe my good luck in finding WC! (I feel as if I should re-name myself "Sponge" - I'm just soaking all of this up!) :)

E-J
06-30-2006, 12:24 PM
Well, it's the last day of June and I have failed royally to even open my pastel box ... Perhaps I will do better with the next Pastel Strokes challenge, as I will be starting my maternity leave in 2 weeks' time!

Tres, Lisa and Annie - lovely paintings!!

AnnieA
07-01-2006, 02:27 AM
Done!!! :D ...with 40 minutes to spare before it's no longer June (here on the West Coast)! How's that for brinksmanship?!? Here it is:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2006/85002-June_Project_DONE-smaller7.JPG

And (amazingly), I'm reasonably satisfied with it. :cat: I know there are a whole lot of things wrong with it, but it's loose, which is very hard for me to accomplish.

And I learned a lot! For instance, did you know that after you scrub a piece of Art Spectrum off for the 5th or 6th time that it will come out as smooth as a baby's bottom??? :mad: ...or that if you tape Art Spectrum to your board with a piece of masking tape, instead of drafting tape, that it will easily rip when you try to remove the paper from your board??? :mad: :mad:

But besides those bad things I've learned some good things too: thanks to Paula (Thank you, Paula!), for the lesson on doing grass, and several other artists whose work I've studied at as I've worked on this piece. I don't have the techniques down yet, but I'm learning. This has been quite an odessey...I'm so glad I've finished it! (Although I will have to take another look tomorrow cause I've been working under horrible dining room table lighting.)

E-J
07-01-2006, 02:57 AM
Annie, it turned out really nicely! Good on you!

*Violet*
07-01-2006, 08:43 AM
brinksmanship ... love it !! ... and love your piece too ... everyone did such great work ... any chance of just the pieces of work getting condensed into its own thread to just go from pic to pic???

fortysomething
07-01-2006, 09:00 AM
Annie, I like your final results and appreciate the WIP. Your trees are really nice!

hopalong, I definately live on the east coast! I also seem to consistantly choose low key colors, but I'm still pretty new at this. I also have colors that I just like. Especially those mid-range Mt. Vision blues.

Tressa, you really got busy with this project, didn't you! I liked the 3rd rendering the best.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving comments Paula, Pat and E-J! I've really enjoyed seeing everyone's different interpretations of the photo. Great job everyone!

Paula Ford
07-01-2006, 09:42 PM
This thread has been so very wonderful!! Thank you for all the terrific paintings. Everyone did such a great job! WOW

Kate has put up the July edition of Pastel Strokes. This month it's a beautiful horse!

Thank you again for a fantastic month's project!! It was so much fun.

Paula