PDA

View Full Version : Which version is best and why?

Deborah Secor
05-30-2006, 11:47 PM
Do you think #1 is best:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2006/23609-Old_Way_1.jpg

Or do you think #2 is best:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2006/23609-Old_Way_2.jpg

Thanks for you help and opinions on the crop. By the way, I won't be changing the image at all, so help me out and don't go telling me I need to redo the color or something! I can't change it now. Just the crop. Trust me. :wink2:

Thanks!

Deborah

David Patterson
05-31-2006, 12:02 AM
I like #2 Dee - #1 almost has a "fisheye" photography look, whice I don't really care for. Wonderful painting though!

Shane Keene
05-31-2006, 01:02 AM
I like them both but am rather more fond of #1. #1 leads my eye down toward your wonderfully enigmatic figure where #2 makes me want to look up at the wall with the window in it and just stop there.

jacx1938
05-31-2006, 01:09 AM
My choice and the reasons for it are exactly the same as Shanes post. I guess we both saw the same things. (grin)

Jim.

Susan Borgas
05-31-2006, 04:07 AM
I feel that the depth is more enhanced in the first one by the length of the walls and portrays a feeling of what these streets are really like so I am going to go for #1. My own husband also voted for #1, he said he just prefers it ;)

Tressa
05-31-2006, 07:14 AM
I think #1 has more illusion of spatial depth.

(and you could make the walls purple):evil: :evil:
ha! just kidding!! :lol:
Tres

Dark_Shades
05-31-2006, 08:00 AM
I love no. 1 the best.... the warmth and darkness of the walls draws and invites you down in to the light - makes you stay awhile...... and then you find that lovely figure........
the 2nd, well for me its sort of just there, and as shane said, you find you are just looking at the window.........

Great jobs...... love it

Merethe T
05-31-2006, 08:53 AM
My thoughts are the same as Shane and Dawns, I like #1 the best, for the same reasons they've already mentioned.

Bill Foehringer
05-31-2006, 09:12 AM
What do you want to say? The first is more foreboding. Almost like death is stalking the figure. The second is lighter without the dark surround. It speaks of hope. Which effect do you want to emphasize? The dark overcoming the light or light splashing into the dark ?
Just another aspect of painting we have to contemplate. We do touch the viewer's feelings with our work. The window in upper section can be softened to de-emphasize it in the 2nd version if it bothers you. You're in control!
Personally I would do the second crop and add some flowers to the trailing plants. Maybe large pots of flowers sitting near the doorways?
BillF

Kathryn Wilson
05-31-2006, 09:16 AM
It was hard to decide which one was best until I saw them in Photoshop side-by-side. The #2 loses something, so I did a crop on the right side only.

I feel that wall on the right unbalances the painting - overheavy, so here is my suggestion. But you are the artist, and as Bill says, what is it you want the painting to say?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2006/14941-dee1_copy.jpg

khourianya
05-31-2006, 10:08 AM
I think #1 is better. Number 2 seems like you don't see enough detail ont he person for as close as they are to the viewer. In #1 - you expect that the person would be as vague.

sassybird
05-31-2006, 11:36 AM
I like #1 for the same reasons that Shane and Dawn gave.

Paula Ford
05-31-2006, 12:04 PM
I like #1 for all the reasons everybody else liked it. :D

Deborah Secor
05-31-2006, 12:07 PM
Hmmm, thanks so much! I have to admit that I've loved looking at this painting in it's larger format for quite a while now. It appeals to me to have the figure almost directly in the middle of a compositional X, with all the other elements unbalanced around it, but I have light mats and a too-light frame on it at present that's no doubt influencing me.

I do sort of like Kat's crop, too... and hadn't actually thought of doing that. I think it's the big dark wall that has had me worried. I'm thinking of taking off maybe only about a half-inch all the way around, with a darker mat and a cherry frame. I have an 18x24" frame on hand, which is always nice. I prefer not to have to order a custom size but I'd do it if it was really necessary.

The feeling I want the painting to project is one of life amid the dark, paved world, of the light that always filters through. I don't see this as a flowery place, however, but one that is well-used, a bit tired but still servicable for now, sort of hanging in there. And the figure is moving out, going on to a place beyond what we see, which looks more hopeful.

You are all so great to help me think this way. I'm still open to opinions and thoughts, of course! Thanks!

Deborah

Potoma
05-31-2006, 12:19 PM
I like the first one and prefer the weight of the wall. It leads the eye and gives such depth. You've made it interesting and given it life, albeit darkened life. I also like how that crop skews the arches to be off center, and it makes the figure central.

Cheryl T.
05-31-2006, 12:40 PM
I'm going to disagree with everyone on #1. I think #2 is better because the shape of the cropped painting emphasizes the height of the arch more. JMO
Go with what your gut is telling you. I think that will be the right answer for what you are trying to convey.

prettytulips
05-31-2006, 02:04 PM
I can't tell the difference....

Dreampainter
05-31-2006, 03:33 PM
Personally, I prefer the first. The depth, and the cave-like quality of the foreground enhance the atmospheric mysterium of the piece and seem to irresistably draw the eye forward.

Amyla

talisman
05-31-2006, 03:33 PM
I like #1 for all the reasons as everyone else. I also like the mood in #1 with the more of dark tones in the walls, and the figure looks more lonely in #1.

johndill01
05-31-2006, 07:22 PM
Dee: I also took the liberty of redoing the crop of #1, but cropped off the left side, which enhances the chiaroscuro effect that you have going and also moves the focal point close to one of the golden means.

Just a different take on your lovely picture. I think that anyway you crop or frame this one, you have a winner.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2006/50746-23609-Old_Way_1.jpg

johndill01
05-31-2006, 07:23 PM
tried to insert an image but didn't work. Please disregard.

Artaholic
06-01-2006, 12:17 AM
I vote for #1 as The more of the dark adds a richness to the painting.

Deborah Secor
06-01-2006, 10:43 AM
John--I want to see your crop! Be sure to change the file name, in case that's the problem...

Deborah

Khadres
06-01-2006, 06:53 PM
I like Kat's option... It's good whichever way you go. I can hear the footsteps echoing back.

johndill01
06-01-2006, 07:46 PM
Deborah: the post finally came through on the 1st post attempt. the second message was a dup somehow and I couldn't get rid of it. Happened when I tried to edit my original message. Just cropped about an inch from the left side to move the focal point off center.
This is something that I do quite frequently. Finish a painting and find the center of interest right square in the center. I just think that with your picture, the dark on the right leads the eye to great color in the center. ( slightly off center with the crop). I am finding that the more I paint, the more I like the chiaroscuro effect in a painting. Really makes the focal point pop.

John

Deborah Secor
06-01-2006, 11:06 PM
Ah! I see John...okay, now instead of spending 30 seconds, I'll take some time to look at it! I was on one of my zips through here when I posted that. :blush:

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate your responses.

I was just invited to submit two paintings to The Pastel Society of New Mexico's Signature Members exhibit at The Albuquerque Museum! I'm delighted they finally arranged such a show. I don't know if this painting is in the running for that show--it might belong in a big city environment--but I want to give them my two best... sooooo...you may be asked for some more opinions!

Deborah