PDA

View Full Version : Canopy Tent Color...Which would you choose?

airwynnglass
05-30-2006, 09:51 PM
Ok, ok, a little bit of a silly inquiry, but for some reason I'm really torn on what color canopy tent to buy for when I go to festivals and shows. I know that most craft shows supply a standard canopy for your booth, but I have a few small shows coming up that require you to supply your own......

here's my thinking....

White is simple and not too dark for the summer sun and heat, but gets dirty easily. Black is simple as well, and wont look very dirty, but is very hot and heavy looking in the summer sun and heat. Blue (like most indoor show curtains) may seem a little over powering in color, and does not go with my general color scheme of my booth display LOL ??????

Which to choose? Please take the poll and post your comments and suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated!

~Erin

dillingham
05-30-2006, 10:09 PM
Erin,

I voted white and the only reason is the color cast that would be placed on your beads/jewelry because of the sun shining through the tent material. Just like taking photos I would want the most natural light to bring out the colors of the beads etc.

Dilly

rosebead
05-30-2006, 11:28 PM
some show applications state that the canopy MUST BE WHITE.

backroombeads
05-31-2006, 12:01 AM
I voted for white also. Granted they do get dirty after a while, but black will look even worse when it gets dirty. (I drive a black car that is dirty five minutes after I take it to the car wash!) Black also obsorbs heat while white reflects the heat. Your work just wouldn't show up very well in a black canopy because it would be dark. Lots of luck with your decision.

richsantaclaus
05-31-2006, 12:31 AM
White is a pain in the as_ to keep clean. Spills happen no matter how careful one is. The blue is best - both for looks as a background and for keeping those unsightly stains under control. OOPS - I dissagreeded with the others! lol

electra-cute
05-31-2006, 01:02 AM
oops..this was a duplicate post..sorry

electra-cute
05-31-2006, 01:02 AM
I voted for white ONLY because many venues require white these days to keep the look of the vendor rows identical.

I prefer black myself but black and blue fade super fast and then look tacky and need replacing.

I dress my canopy up with 4 Indian Saris to add color. With white you can always change your mind on a color scheme really easy.

Hugs
Sandra

diva_in_training
05-31-2006, 02:23 AM
I would stick with white because it provides the same type of diffused light you need to take great photos when you photograph your beads and jewelry! It is also cooler in the summer sun and is not hard to keep clean if you want to power wash it every now and then with the garden hose.

I have used my white EZ-up tent for the past six years and love it!!! Also, most venues require white tents for uniformity.

Carolyn:D

TheMadBeader
05-31-2006, 06:54 AM
Voted for white for a reason already said. Your beads and jewelry will have a cast of the color of the canopy. I had made a shade cover from muslin and everything looked yellow even though the fabric was bleached muslin.

Helen Simon
05-31-2006, 11:28 AM
Yellow, Baby! It's an attention getter, and when you're competing w/ oodles of others, you need all the help available. Love, Helen, ex-sign-painter of many yellow signs

PatNewMex
05-31-2006, 11:52 AM
Yellow. Highly visible and not so run of the mill as white. A fun color to boot.

Pat

airwynnglass
05-31-2006, 05:02 PM
Wow, interesting. .... keep em' coming! LOL The more opinions the better!

Thanks everyone.

~Erin

Keewin
05-31-2006, 05:25 PM
I think blue denim - yes, real denim - would be great! You'd get the blue, if it fades it's so cool (like a worn pair of jeans), it's lighter on the inside than on the outside and denim washes great. But you'd have to have the gold double-stitching :wink2: . And maybe some pockets sewn in. OoooOOooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's probably not available anywhere but if you see one in a few months, remember where the idea came from, hehe!
...Karen

NitroGal78
05-31-2006, 05:39 PM
I picked yellow too. I read something along time ago about yellow attracting people. Like sublimally (sp?), yellow is a soothing color and we seek soothing things.

Helen probably had it right, you would stand out, but I have found a unique product it the critical part of standing out from the rest.

Obviously, I didn't know white can be required. Looks like that should be your choice.

Lisa

lizajayne
05-31-2006, 07:09 PM
I am partial to green for outdoors, because it is dark enough to keep you well shaded and not look filthy, plus, it reminds me of tree canopy. Also, it is a color that sticks out. If you do a lot of shows that require a certain color, like white, like everyone stated, then just stay with the basic white.

simply us
05-31-2006, 08:26 PM
I did shows with my handcolored B&W photographs for years and to keep colors true white works the best. I hung black on my screens so the photos would stand out. So if you want color you can add it on your sides.
As a test you could take different colors of fabric and stretch it outside and stand under and check out what the color does to your work both good and bad.
Sandra

KetchikanSculptor
05-31-2006, 09:25 PM
Ok... I picked other cause I honestly think a nice white with a rich green stripe draws in everyone. Most people love green and the stripe will be different then most other canopies, plus being nice, bright and summery fun. If you can buy a good frame with a rotted canopy for the pattern, you can get nice canopy fabric and make your own for a real good price. Not even that hard to make your own pattern. Ok, enough.... Thats my nickels worth. :D

RoyalBead
06-01-2006, 12:54 PM
I say go with white for the numberous reason stated by the others, then get your self an AWESOME sign or banner made with your business name/logo on it to draw people in and help them remember who you are!

EmtSue
06-01-2006, 03:31 PM
I agree with white because it shows colors better. I don't like the blue one I have, it makes everyone look.. well.. blue!

airwynnglass
06-01-2006, 07:55 PM
Any of you have photos to post of your tents? Generally, what size canopy tent should I get (standard booth sizes?)

~Erin

Paula D
06-01-2006, 08:31 PM
I just saw 10 by 10 canopies at Wal-Mart for $88.00. They look exactly like the one I bought at Sam's for $200.
Paula

bigg ol' dawg
06-02-2006, 10:49 AM
Save-a-Lot (local grocery chain) has an inexpensive 10' x 10' canopy for $15.00. It's a little more of a hassle than the EZ-up, and not as sturdy, but for the price...Also, you could buy this one and use the framework w/ your own fabric.

Randy

cghipp
06-02-2006, 02:19 PM
White, white, white. Many shows make you use a white tent - and usually those are the higher-end shows. Any other color is going to reduce the amount of available light in your tent, and will also add a color cast to your merchandise. And in the summer, white is going to be the coolest option - a black tent would me more like an oven.

All of these factors aside, however, I think colored tents look amateurish and cheap.

Courtney

Paula D
06-02-2006, 03:48 PM
I should add that theone I bought at Sam's was an E-Z up. Not top of the line but still ok for my needs. Paula

airwynnglass
06-04-2006, 04:58 PM
It seems some of you have made your own with buying a post set and then using your own fabric .... do you have to sew "pole pockets" or do you sew the canopy directly onto the posts so it is permanently on there? If you dont, can you take the fabric off to wash it in a machine or is it almost always power washed outside?

~Erin

KetchikanSculptor
06-04-2006, 05:04 PM
I use velcro straps that are easy to apply every 8 inches. Buy the industrial strenght size box in white. Start at the very bottom edge at each corner... stitch them on and it saves maing a pocket and allows you to take it down and put it up much faster then threading the rods on the home made tops. I can see if I can do a quick drawing if you want.

airwynnglass
06-04-2006, 05:15 PM
Oh wow, a simple drawing would be great to show me! I'd love to see how you've done yours!

Thanks a million Ruth!

~Erin

beadchick
07-21-2006, 06:20 PM
I voted white. I've done shows where the canopy must be white. The standard booth size is 10 x 10, although sometimes they'll be a little bigger.

Lenda
07-22-2006, 09:31 AM
White, white, white. Many shows make you use a white tent - and usually those are the higher-end shows. Any other color is going to reduce the amount of available light in your tent, and will also add a color cast to your merchandise. And in the summer, white is going to be the coolest option - a black tent would me more like an oven.

All of these factors aside, however, I think colored tents look amateurish and cheap.

Courtney
I agree with Courtney 100% on this. Go to Costco, or Sam's club and by an Ezup with zipper sides for $189. It's the best money you can spend if you do shows. They're easy to put up with 2 people and well worth the money.

i.am.superman
07-22-2006, 01:45 PM
Here is my idea of a great canopy:

http://www.freeformtents.com/images/gallery_new/gallery_25.jpg

smaller, of course, for craft shows, but you get the idea. I chose "other".

tackytwo
04-07-2007, 05:00 PM
RED definately RED!!!!LUV it!!!!!! Cathy

Nancy Peterson
04-11-2007, 10:55 AM
White so people can see the jewelry! Plus most shows do require a white canopy. But yellow sounds cool to get noticed!! I don't think I've ever seen a yellow canopy!

Nancy

TheRedhead
04-11-2007, 10:29 PM
I have white and recommend the same. If you decide to do any fine art type shows (I do) they require that all tents be only white.
Red

DesertDreamer
04-14-2007, 12:11 PM
White...it reflects the sun, thus keeping the inside cooler, and keeps the visible colors inside 'pure.' Any other color is going to be dispersed all over the inside of the tent, and will affect the color of your beads.

mixednut
04-14-2007, 12:21 PM
I really like light brown or creamy tan. They stay very nice looking even in very dusty areas. Beginning a small town the shows we have here are usually held at the same time as farm shows and things and it can get very dusty.

BabsW
06-16-2007, 05:40 PM
I voted white for the reasons already posted. I sure love the red one though.

Barbara

Sharyl
06-17-2007, 09:04 PM
I choose white because I drive a white suv can go for up to 6 months without washing it (don't ask my dh and I had a disagreement on who should wash I won :)) and it does not look disgusting until the last 2-3 weeks. Myf friend has the same black suv and she has to wash it every week.

AmandaL
06-18-2007, 11:29 PM
I have heard about some shows requiring white as well...
Curious which ez up tent most of you are getting? Aren't there diff ones better than others?
Whoever said they used Indian saris -I think that sounds gorgeous!!
I would LOVE to see some pictures of tents/displays-I am looking into buying mine soon...
Amanda